Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else starting to question their loyalty to CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is anyone else starting to question their loyalty to CO?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA nothing
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I think were in a new era..Airlines have figured out that basically there is no loyalty to the airline anymore and passengers pick airlines based on the cheapest fare.@:-)
No, they haven't figured it out, they created it and in the end will come to regret it.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Feel free to keep making, blanket statements that have absolutely zero basis in any sort of fact, nor make any sort of contribution to the dialogue whatsoever. But that's your game, so have fun with it.

I'd say the practice of extorting "tens of dollars" from your best customers so they don't get jumped in the UG queue is "bad enough", along with the worst Y seats in the industry, selling exit row seats out from the feet of your elites, etc. and etc.
E- on UA is worse than CO Y. And US Y is worse than both. It is, after all, US. How could you possibly say that CO Y is the worst in the industry.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: United Million Miler 1K, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Positive or negative, is it constructive?
Nope, not even close. It is simply bashing, pure and simple.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
OK, so I don't understand the thread title. Am I going to be loyal to CO? What CO? They are gone. I am not leaving CO, they left me. And they left the city of Houston. Actually I don't care at all about status. I do absolutely no domestic travel. All I want are my BF reward flights to Europe. So for me I will be looking for the best deal. As far as I am concerned CO has left the building.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gawhite411
I have been questioning my loyalty to CO since they day they announced a "merger of equals" which another carrier that was clearly not their equal but vastly inferior. Thus far, my worst fears have been exceeded.
I don't understand. Is Continental merging with Hewa Bora Airways of the Congo?

When you do a Google search on Hewa Bora, here is the first image that comes up:

Bet you Hewa Bora doesn't have E+...

Programs: United Million Miler 1K, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
You can add purposeless and obtuse hubris to that list...
I'll see your hubris and raise you a supercilious.

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbm12
If I was unable to score C tickets to Europe this past summer and Africa this coming New Years at the low rates then the program would have significantly lower value for me.
Anyone seriously considering dropping CO in favor of DL should pay attention to the statement above. If booking awards at low redemptions is important to you, my recent experience in the top tier of both programs suggests that you'll be much happier with CO than DL.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by DragonPhish
OK, so I don't understand the thread title. Am I going to be loyal to CO? What CO? They are gone. I am not leaving CO, they left me. And they left the city of Houston. Actually I don't care at all about status. I do absolutely no domestic travel. All I want are my BF reward flights to Europe. So for me I will be looking for the best deal. As far as I am concerned CO has left the building.
Dang...someone forgot to tell me they're gone when I booked a flight on them an hour ago to LHR 2 weeks from now. It's through IAH, too.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mike_plat
Anyone seriously considering dropping CO in favor of DL should pay attention to the statement above. If booking awards at low redemptions is important to you, my recent experience in the top tier of both programs suggests that you'll be much happier with CO than DL.
Mine has been precisely the opposite.

In September I acquired a DL BE award ticket JFK-SIN 10 days out.

Not only did DL have inventory at the lowest level, but they were the only airline to have any J inventory at all.

There was nothing at all on any *A carrier, except for a waitlist on SQ that would have required 400,000 points.

After all the horrors stories I had heard about DL's award redemptions, I was shocked, but I suppose it just demonstrates that YMMV...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by RNE
No, loyalty is still important...but only to the the airline. They will continue to promote it and continue to undermine it because, despite this thread's good intent, nobody's going anywhere; they're just blowing off steam.
You are probably right. There is a group over on the UA board that thinks they can get AA to comp them to EXP. If that does not come to pass, and unlikely it will, they will probably be unwilling to put the BIS miles to get EXP. You have identified the one problem with FF programs, the elite fears investing the time and money into actually earning a possibly better status on another carrier because they might not like it and they will have to reearn "status" with the original carrier. This is particularly the case when one flies enough to earn one decent elite status and not two.

There will always be a naysayer here or somewhere else who will tell the potential jumper that they will be sorry if they leave. Better the known devil than the unknown one. CO / UA is betting right now that you are right and that this is all merely venting.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
DL is great for domestic upgrades.

DL is horrible for advance mileage redemptions. If you are lucky and they have unsold seats, they will open up low-level award availability close to departure.

More importantly to me, mileage upgrades on DL are worthless as their M fares track their discount J fares within a couple hundred dollars. At least with CO I can actually get some value out of the miles on mileage upgrades.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Dang...someone forgot to tell me they're gone when I booked a flight on them an hour ago to LHR 2 weeks from now. It's through IAH, too.
Really?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
+1
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Mine has been precisely the opposite.

In September I acquired a DL BE award ticket JFK-SIN 10 days out.

Not only did DL have inventory at the lowest level, but they were the only airline to have any J inventory at all.

There was nothing at all on any *A carrier, except for a waitlist on SQ that would have required 400,000 points.

After all the horrors stories I had heard about DL's award redemptions, I was shocked, but I suppose it just demonstrates that YMMV...
10 days out, possible. We know that is their game. Try 300 days out, or 200 days out, or 100 days out, or 50 days out, etc.

DL does release seats close to departure.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Yep. Been there, did that. Was plat on DL last year and status matched to CO. ATL sucks, and I had so many skymiles but couldn't redeem jack. Star Alliance is much better than Sky Team IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.