Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidents Club mess up

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Presidents Club mess up

Last month I flew through IAH and renewed my PC Membership. I didn't receive any new card and I continued to get "There's still time to renew" emails and cards in the mail. So I called the PC line today as I fly tomorrow. They showed me as not having renewed. Thank GOD I saved my receipt!

Without the document number, they had no record of my renewal. I was VERY lucky I had shoved the receipt into my Passport holder or I would be one po'd camper. (Or is that one po'd flier?)

The rep was able to find the number and put me in the system, but I still have an expired card. Just my luck, it expired on October 31st. There's no problem with the clubs at IAH where I change planes, but my favorite part of the PC system is my airport DTW's Luftstansa Louge. They have the BEST hot chocolate I've ever had. Hand's down. The Best.

So I asked the PC rep if I would have any trouble tomorrow when I get to the lounge. She said I might. I have my expired card and my receipt from CO, but she says I might not get in. I'm a Plat flying 1st Class but not Business Class; even my Star Alliance membership doesn't help.

She said that they were welcome to CALL the PC line but I guess we'll see. What ticks me off is that I didn't do anything wrong. I renewed at the club b/c I'd been in Vegas and had some extra cash, which I used along with a CC for the remaining balance.

I've been thinking about that hot chocolate for a month so I'm hoping that it works out and the lady I see every month at the DTW lounge isn't going to cause a problem. But I learned a valuable lesson: KEEP RECEIPTS! W/O it, even CO wasn't going to recognize me. And they still don't know WHY the number didn't go through. It went through on my credit card on the day I renewed, but the computer showed me as expired.

Lesson learned!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I see that you're Co Plat/*G. When I've been to the LH lounge in DTW, they just swipe my Co Plat card and allow me access. I've offered both that and the PC card, but they haven't showed interest there (in the 3 times I've been there). Good luck!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks! I always get the same lady there so I am hoping she is there tomorrow morning. And I agree, they usually just look at boarding passes and ID. But the PC lady on the phone said there "might" be a problem. I didn't quite understand what she was saying, something about Senator versus Ambassador or something like that.

I really don't anticipate a problem, but am bringing my receipt, just in case. I know the Plat card is the same number as the PC card so maybe that is why they take the Plat card? But my card's strip doesn't work so we'll see!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I see that you're Co Plat/*G. When I've been to the LH lounge in DTW, they just swipe my Co Plat card and allow me access...
If you're flying international (as in, on LH ex-DTW), and you're *G, you can come in without PC membership. Flying domestic, not so fast.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

It's Domestic

But I DID renew the membership on October 5th and have the receipt. I have my Plat card, old PC card and will have 1st Class boarding passes. I AM a PC member & have been for YEARS! I just don't have the new card yet. I sure hope that isn't a problem!

It's just my luck- I have to work on my birthday weekend and be alone in a strange city. I was looking forward to 2 things- my UG at the W and getting my scrumptious hot chocolate tomorrow morning.

I guess I just wait and see.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
You can get into LH lounges with a *G card while flying domestically.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
You can get into LH lounges with a *G card while flying domestically.

In fact, a *G card grants better access with most European-based lounges than a CO PC card.

While I haven't been to the DTW lounge, typically with LH, a PC card gets you into the Business lounge, while a *G card gets you into the better Senator lounge.

So you really don't want to be showing that PC card if you don't have to. *G always trumps PC.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
In fact, a *G card grants better access with most European-based lounges than a CO PC card.

While I haven't been to the DTW lounge, typically with LH, a PC card gets you into the Business lounge, while a *G card gets you into the better Senator lounge.

So you really don't want to be showing that PC card if you don't have to. *G always trumps PC.
I haven't been to DTW but I was directed to the Senator side in IAD with my Plat card ^
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
It doesn't matter that you don't have a current P Club card. A *A Gold card from a US-based airline is valid for admission to a non-US-based *A carrier's lounge, provided one has a same-day *A boarding pass, even if it is for a domestic US flight.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
It doesn't matter that you don't have a current P Club card. A *A Gold card from a US-based airline is valid for admission to a non-US-based *A carrier's lounge, provided one has a same-day *A boarding pass, even if it is for a domestic US flight.
CO has updated co.com and they indicate that you need to have an international *A boarding pass for same-day access to non-US/UA/CO lounges. Not sure if the rule changed, or CO is just trying to keep people from going over to LH, SQ, etc lounges at US airports.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by cova
CO has updated co.com and they indicate that you need to have an international *A boarding pass for same-day access to non-US/UA/CO lounges. Not sure if the rule changed, or CO is just trying to keep people from going over to LH, SQ, etc lounges at US airports.
is this in reference only to US domestic airports? recently i became a pclub member and was looking into whether i would have access at the lounges in SIN if i wasn't flying outbound on a *A flight. as of now, the CO website seems to indicate that i have a "me + 1" privilege to the SQ and Thai lounges in that case.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Well, I got into LH club at DTW with NO problem this am. I started to hand her my PC card, explaining that I hadn't received the new one yet and she waved it off saying "You don't need the card b/c you're flying Business Class." Is First Class with CO considered Business Class with LH? I was flying 1st on CO but not out of the country. She didn't say "Business First" but "Business CLASS".

I wasn't going to argue- I wanted that hot chocolate!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Paid F?

I always figured they excluded domestic F since so many people were flying on upgrades....

Going to have to pay more attention to where LH lounges are domestically and give this trick a whirl. It does seem odd that I could get into a LH lounge when I can't get into a CO lounge when on a CO ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cova
The bolded print below is from the Star Alliance website.

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card

Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

Customer is entitled to one guest

Continental, United, and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Presidents Club, Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

It appears a *A Gold member may access any *A lounge with a valid boarding card for a *A flight from that lounge's airport. Exceptions: If you are a CO, UA, or US *Gold member you may only access those airlines respective clubs in the U.S. when travelling on a *A international flight unless you are a member of their club.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.