Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Suggestions, Please - 2 Premium Cabin Mileage Tix to England July 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:40 am
CLG
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle

Hello all,

A good friend of mine is getting married in Masham, England next July (2011). This provides me with a great excuse to burn down my stash of OnePass miles for 2x premium cabin reward tickets to Europe, and a much-needed holiday. I've got enough miles for two SleasyPass redemption, but out of principle I'd rather buy coach tickets than burn > double miles above the standard level.

So, having never been in the UK outside of London, I need your professional suggestions for two separate things:

1. What CO partner / *Alliance partner, and which cabin class, would you recommend for the journey? I'm willing to pay the premium for 1st over Biz class if it really is "worth it" for the experience. I've only ever traveled in the hybrid BizFirst on Continental and NW/KLM in the past.

2. Which airport do you recommend I target for the easiest / least stressful commute to Masham? Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, and Manchester were all listed as possibilities. Other possibilities off the top of my head would include other major airports & a train trip to Masham, if that would be preferable to renting a car.

We'll be coming from Houston, TX and hoping to add on between 4 - 7 days to the front or the back end of the trip for a vacation in Ireland. I'm flexible to either buy two intra-UK tickets with $$ or add on a stopover there on the
mileage tix if either is easier.

The themes of "simple" and "less stress" are sprinkled throughout this post, because my wife will be joining me on this trip, and I'd like to stay sane

Thanks in advance for the help!

-CLG
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think even CO's BF should be fine. Remember that flying to LHR guarantees you lie-flat seating, so I'd go with that option.

Without actual dates, I can't see if saverpass BF is available, but the calendar is relatively open early in each week (I didn't login, since I assume you're not Plat).

NCL has saverpass, but you have to fly via Belgium to get there.

MAN has no saverpass BF except on really off-days.

To route IAH-(EWR)-LHR-DUB-EWR-IAH, you may have to search separately, then call in. You can also utilize BMI (*A partner) for that intermediate flight from LHR-DUB-LHR or DUB-LHR-DUB. Of course, you can fly IAH-LHR, but just leaving the options open.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I'd look at options using LH for the transatlantic flights, as their premium reward availability is often a lot better than CO. LH F is excellent, but their C product is roughly on a par with the non lie-flat CO product.

FRA is relatively easy to connect through for a non-Schengen to non-Schengen connection like this, and the facilities there are very good if you're in F.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:07 am
CLG
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
aacharya, thanks for the quick response. I didn't include dates because we're still trying to decide whether Ireland is going to be done before or after the wedding. Wedding weekend is July 9th-10th.

I was curious whether it was worth going LH 1st through FRA (and what the connection options were), or perhaps using Virgin Atlantic.

Agree that going IAH-LHR would be most direct, and nice with the new BF product.

CLG
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
I have done the business class on Air Canada to LHR and it was fabulous. They also seemed to be a little more open on the award availability so that helped too.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: BMI Silver
Originally Posted by CLG
aacharya, thanks for the quick response. I didn't include dates because we're still trying to decide whether Ireland is going to be done before or after the wedding. Wedding weekend is July 9th-10th.

I was curious whether it was worth going LH 1st through FRA (and what the connection options were), or perhaps using Virgin Atlantic.

Agree that going IAH-LHR would be most direct, and nice with the new BF product.

CLG
Personally, I would come to Ireland before the wedding. Where in Ireland do you want to go? W/C 11th July and the week after are prime holiday weeks in the north. Prices are going to most likely be up all over the country for hotels etc. Many people in the north of Ireland go on holiday those 2 weeks. That also means flights to BFS, DUB and BHD are quite busy as well. A lot up here is closed on the 12th and 13th July due to the bank holiday and things tend to close early on the 11th night. I would recommend BMI as well for your connection from England to Ireland.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:44 am
CLG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by princessyoga
Personally, I would come to Ireland before the wedding. Where in Ireland do you want to go? W/C 11th July and the week after are prime holiday weeks in the north. Prices are going to most likely be up all over the country for hotels etc. Many people in the north of Ireland go on holiday those 2 weeks. That also means flights to BFS, DUB and BHD are quite busy as well. A lot up here is closed on the 12th and 13th July due to the bank holiday and things tend to close early on the 11th night. I would recommend BMI as well for your connection from England to Ireland.
Thanks for the local knowledge! This is exactly why I love FlyerTalk and its global community. I'll definitely aim for starting the holiday prior to my friend's wedding weekend. I would also think that this actually makes getting reward tix easier, since I'm now more flexible on departure dates / times.

CLG
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I haven't tried the Lufthansa flights, but I can say the CO BF seats on the 777 are nice. Especially if you can snag the nonstop from IAH/LHR, and back. Personal choice for me would be to prioritize the long haul flight from IAH to LHR or IAH to FRA. Everything else is easy from that point.

Though you might find connections to be simpler if you can go to FRA, as Lufthansa has service everywhere. Another piece of advice would be to be very flexible on your initial booking, then wait-list for the ideal if it's unavailable. I recently did that for a trip to italy at Sprinbreak and was pleasantly surprised that my Friday night IAH/FRA BF saver passes (4 of them) all cleared.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by CLG
Thanks for the local knowledge! This is exactly why I love FlyerTalk and its global community. I'll definitely aim for starting the holiday prior to my friend's wedding weekend. I would also think that this actually makes getting reward tix easier, since I'm now more flexible on departure dates / times.

CLG
Anytime. I glad I could help. Anything you to know about Ireland let me know
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I haven't read any of the other replies, because I'm crunched for this today, but:
Having been to England several times, here's what I would do.
As you're coming from Houston, I'd take the nonstop CO to LHR in BizFirst. When you get there, take a train to wherever you're going. Granted, walking to the tube or train station (I think King's Cross is close to LHR) can be a pain with luggage, but you could take a cab if you'd rather.
My reason for suggesting that route is that we know that CO's onboard product to London is great- easily the best flight I've ever taken on a US carrier.
Secondly, if you connect in EWR to a secondary destination in England, the flight is too short to get much sleep on.
Thirdly, on the topic of sleep, all CO flights to LHR are on FLAT-BED equipped aircraft. Big plus.
And finally, I've done a similar routine to what I've suggested myself-IAH to London to Sheffield via the train. Easy.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Legend717
I haven't read any of the other replies, because I'm crunched for this today, but:
Having been to England several times, here's what I would do.
As you're coming from Houston, I'd take the nonstop CO to LHR in BizFirst. When you get there, take a train to wherever you're going. Granted, walking to the tube or train station (I think King's Cross is close to LHR) can be a pain with luggage, but you could take a cab if you'd rather.
My reason for suggesting that route is that we know that CO's onboard product to London is great- easily the best flight I've ever taken on a US carrier.
Secondly, if you connect in EWR to a secondary destination in England, the flight is too short to get much sleep on.
Thirdly, on the topic of sleep, all CO flights to LHR are on FLAT-BED equipped aircraft. Big plus.
And finally, I've done a similar routine to what I've suggested myself-IAH to London to Sheffield via the train. Easy.
I travel to London for work all the time. LHR is not close to King's Cross but is handy enough to get to. The Heathrow Express will get you into Paddington in 30 mins. It leaves every 15 mins. It is £26 ($45) each. You can get a first class ticket for twice the price but not worth it for such a short journey. This is how I get to our London office. You can also get a taxi for about £70 but this is with no traffic. I made this mistake once and nearly missed my flight. The traffic can be a nightmare. Then for you to get to Masham you are looking 3 hr train ride for £190 ($308) for an unreserved seat off peak train ride for both of. The train. You want to get a seat or else you might stand to Yorkshire. The train goes from Kings Cross.

To me taking a 3hr train ride after flying in from Texas sounds like a nightmare especially in an unfamiliar country. I would connect in EWR to NCL, Leeds Bradford or MAN. However, if are going Ireland first you can get will have to connect in EWR. I am flying from BFS and connecting in EWR in a week and a half so can have a wee look in BF at the product as I am walking back to my seat. I am in row 8.

If you def do Ireland from you can get to MAN from DUB on BMI.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: Co Gold
Fly into MAN and get a direct train from the airport to York on Transpennine Express

Current prices are less than $30 return if you book in advance

York is about 35 miles from Masham and would be a great place to base yourself, with easy links to anywhere else you may like to go.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I just traveled on Swiss to Zurich and FRA to IAH, both in business. Swiss's lie flat seats are wonderful and the service is great, and I hate to say it, but I would all other things being equal fly them over CO BF. On the other hand, I was unimpressed with LH's product, both soft and hard. Service was fairly impersonal. Food was OK but not up to CO's and served on trays economy style with none of the flair of CO's individual plating, hors d'oeuvres cart, and ice cream sundaes. So I would take CO even without a lie-flat seat, but if you get that, I don't think you have to worry. I might check out BMI also. I met some of their folks in FRA at the Megado and they made a good impression. I think they have lie-flat seats, flights to LHR from IAH and fligths to Edinbugh, Dublin, Manchester, and LHR, out of Newark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.