FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Short-haul rewards (not) and CO's most professional work at home CS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1143410-short-haul-rewards-not-cos-most-professional-work-home-cs.html)

entropy Nov 2, 10 2:14 pm

Short-haul rewards (not) and CO's most professional work at home CS

I'm trying to book a short-haul reward on CO YYZ-CLE, on CO Connection, and COEx on the return... this should be included in the short haul reward option... but apparently NO CO Connection (Commutair which is listed as a valid CO Connection carrier out of CLE)....

According to supervisor, NO CO connection flights are valid aside from the <6000 series Colgan....

While on the phone with an otherwise polite CS agent, we were interrupted several times by dogs barking....

mht_flyer Nov 2, 10 2:21 pm

According to CO Website:

"Short-haul reward for itineraries 750 miles or less each way.Valid on Continental, Continental Express and select flights operating as Continental Connection (to/from New York/Newark and Cleveland on Colgan Air and CommutAir only).Stopovers not permitted"

I guess "Select" doesn't include your YYZ-CLE flight.

entropy Nov 2, 10 2:23 pm

I guess "Select" doesn't include your YYZ-CLE flight.
select (according to their CS) doesn't include ANY Commutair flight.

cjgibson Nov 2, 10 2:32 pm

It's probably a bug. I'd PM CO Insider to make sure. If you can't get the non-stop reward at the 10k level, you can always book YYZ-EWR-CLE which is 10k.

channa Nov 2, 10 2:40 pm

CO has historically had problems managing the flight number ranges for award travel.

Every couple months we see someone post that they can't book a LH or LX "express" carrier in Europe because CO has them blocked in the system. I got nailed a few years ago with an AM flight (I could get a lower-numbered flight, but not the flight I wanted).

Sounds like CO probably modified the range for these flights, yet didn't modify the table of applicable flights for short-haul award pricing.

btw, have you called Web Support? They would probably be your best shot for a front-line organization attempting to override this. But realistically, when this stuff happens, it usually takes an act of CO Insider to fix since I'm not sure anyone else is empowered to push it through to the right people.

entropy Nov 2, 10 2:47 pm

If you can't get the non-stop reward at the 10k level, you can always book YYZ-EWR-CLE which is 10k.
Why would I book a connection thru EWR to turn a 1 hour trip into a 4 hour trip, including a colgan deathprop segment?

entropy Nov 2, 10 2:49 pm

I'd PM CO Insider to make sure.
I might do that, but I don't understand why I should have to involve a vice president, and waste his valuable time to get an award flight to price properly. CO's call center should be able to fix it, in a few minutes.

channa Nov 2, 10 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15061538)
I might do that, but I don't understand why I should have to involve a vice president, and waste his valuable time to get an award flight to price properly. CO's call center should be able to fix it, in a few minutes.

Empowerment hasn't been one of CO's strongpoints for years (since Gordon left). IME, they like to default to the COmputer, and what the COmputer says is what COunts.

It's fine when it works in your favor, but not so good when it doesn't.

cjgibson Nov 2, 10 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15061521)
Why would I book a connection thru EWR to turn a 1 hour trip into a 4 hour trip, including a colgan deathprop segment?

I don't know, but you seem more concerned about paying 10k instead of 12.5k, so I was just trying to help you out in that department...

cjgibson Nov 2, 10 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15061554)
IME, they like to default to the COmputer, and what the COmputer says is what COunts. It's fine when it works in your favor, but not so good when it doesn't.

So true! That said, each time I've had a COmputer error, one of Scott's colleagues has straightened things out.

entropy Nov 2, 10 6:13 pm

I don't know, but you seem more concerned about paying 10k instead of 12.5k, so I was just trying to help you out in that department...
well, its 25k vs 20k, not even 22.5 ..

those are the flights I want, and the price is either right or it isn't.
According to CO's award chart, that award is 20k. If they exclude COmmutAir CO Connection flights, then they need to update the reward chart. IF they don't, then they need to fix their computer algorithm. Since CO purchases all the capacity on these airlines, (not like Cape Air..) they control all the inventory, collect the revenue and simply pay per flight to the airline.

if its not right, its not right.

Its either right or it isn't...

channa Nov 2, 10 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15062942)
IF they don't, then they need to fix their computer algorithm.

Thing is, how do you COnvince them that they're wrong? That's usually a challenge anywhere, but it's COmplicated by CO's culture where they like to think they're always right.

sbm12 Nov 2, 10 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 15061538)
I might do that, but I don't understand why I should have to involve a vice president

If only that were actually his title...

The reality is that the partner/Express/Connection flight numbers change sometimes and the related systems aren't perfect in getting updated. Must be tough working with an airline that isn't perfect.

channa Nov 2, 10 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 15063170)
The reality is that the partner/Express/Connection flight numbers change sometimes and the related systems aren't perfect in getting updated. Must be tough working with an airline that isn't perfect.

Which is fine. CO isn't perfect (no airline is). But part of working in an imperfect organization is that there are mechanisms to report these imperfections and get them acted on. It sometimes feels that CO does not have these sorts of mechanisms, and they assume they're always right.

entropy Nov 2, 10 7:16 pm

Must be tough working with an airline that isn't perfect.
I'm fairly confident that if I was on the phone with the 1K desk, they'd solve the problem within 10 minutes. They'd either manually price the award, or ticket it as is, and toss me 7k RDM.