Status Warning for CO Elites on UA Flights

Old Oct 31, 10, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star
Status Warning for CO Elites on UA Flights

Since the merger, I have booked several CO flights on UA metal. As many of you know, starting in October, UA is honoring CO Elite status for complimentary upgrades. Out of 6 flights this month on UA, I was only upgraded once. Last week when I was flying from IAD to SAN, I asked an agent in the RCC where I was in priority for an upgrade. She told me I was number 5 out of 52 but there was several Premiers and Premier Execs in front of me. I thought that was odd when I am a Plat on CO and should be at least a Premier Exec if not a 1K. She showed me the screen and sure enough, there were several Premiers and PEs in front of me. She told me that it could be a programming error and to call CO Elite line to get it straightened out.

So I called the CO Elite Line and explained the situation to the agent. She understood my problem and called the UA Elite Line. Sure enough, after 15 minutes of being on hold, the agent came back and said that UA confirmed there was a mistake when they hard coded my status on the UA system and I should be listed as a 1K.

On Friday, I flew from MCO to DEN and I was able to confirm in the RCC in MCO that I was listed as a 1K, but I still missed out on being upgraded.

So if you are flying a lot on UA as a co-share flight and you are not getting upgraded, you might want to confirm that UA has you in their system correctly since it is hard coded.
Old Oct 31, 10, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PM, UA AG, WN A, MR Life PL, HH DI, Avis P+, 7*
I've flown IAH-FLL maybe 20 times over the last 3-4 years, last week's flight was the first time I didn't get upgraded ever, and at #7 on the upgrade list I wasn't even close. Didn't know what to think about that one.

Strangely, on a IAH-LAX flight last night, I went from #2 to #15 or so on the list in a few hours; have no idea how that happened, but no big deal. I didn't even bother investigating it. Between the CO IAH hub and the UA LAX hub, there's quite a few PL/1Ks flying on full fare tickets.

But I did fly DEN-LAS last week on UA and the counter upgraded me after I checked in.
Old Oct 31, 10, 6:21 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by CNB Snow View Post
...but I still missed out on being upgraded
Glad to know that elite status is working well for you.
Old Oct 31, 10, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Nibaruian View Post
I've flown IAH-FLL maybe 20 times over the last 3-4 years, last week's flight was the first time I didn't get upgraded eve....
I flew into and out of FLL in F both ways with upgrades(note to add: last week). One came way out and one 24 hours and some handful of minutes before OCLI opened.
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought that was odd when I am a Plat on CO and should be at least a Premier Exec if not a 1K.
You should be ahead of the Premiers (2P) but behind the Premier Execs (1P).
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:46 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I should be listed as a 1K.

On Friday, I flew from MCO to DEN and I was able to confirm in the RCC in MCO that I was listed as a 1K, but I still missed out on being upgraded.

So if you are flying a lot on UA as a co-share flight and you are not getting upgraded, you might want to confirm that UA has you in their system correctly since it is hard coded.
CO plats are just above 2Ps on UA's ranking system. To me, that makes me a "super-silver " and likely to not get an upgrade on almost all flights. However, I do get a great alternative, which is E+ so I am not complaining.

The bigger trick is keeping my mileage from going to the wrong account. I am having headaches about this since I am done with adding mileage to my CO account and now am filling my UA account for next year but still wanting to get the *G treatment from UA due to my CO status. I just never know which account the miles are going to when my CO number is on the BP, even when the GAs swear up and down that the miles will go into my MP account. Big PITA.
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hmmm I might have to make some calls today to get ahead upgrade-wise of those pesky CO Plats on my Wed CO flight
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:51 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
CO plats are just above 2Ps on UA's ranking system. To me, that makes me a "super-silver " and likely to not get an upgrade on almost all flights. However, I do get a great alternative, which is E+ so I am not complaining.

The bigger trick is keeping my mileage from going to the wrong account. I am having headaches about this since I am done with adding mileage to my CO account and now am filling my UA account for next year but still wanting to get the *G treatment from UA due to my CO status. I just never know which account the miles are going to when my CO number is on the BP, even when the GAs swear up and down that the miles will go into my MP account. Big PITA.
There are two lines for the mileage thingy on UA;
FQTS = the program whose status you want to use.
FQTV (i think) = the program where you want to accrue miles.

Remember "S" for status....so, as long as they say that the "other" line is on the program that you want (UA in your case), you should be ok.
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Hmmm I might have to make some calls today to get ahead upgrade-wise of those pesky CO Plats on my Wed CO flight
Hmm...on CO flights, you will be below CO plats as a 1K. The OP was talking about UA flights as a CO plat.
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snod08 View Post
Hmm...on CO flights, you will be below CO plats as a 1K. The OP was talking about UA flights as a CO plat.
I know - mine was a tongue in cheek post about the benefits of re-arranging the published upgrade order to increase one's individual chances of getting the UG
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I know - mine was a tongue in cheek post about the benefits of re-arranging the published upgrade order to increase one's individual chances of getting the UG
LOL..good one.
Old Oct 31, 10, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Nibaruian View Post
I've flown IAH-FLL maybe 20 times over the last 3-4 years, last week's flight was the first time I didn't get upgraded ever, and at #7 on the upgrade list I wasn't even close. Didn't know what to think about that one. ...
Which flight was it? Some are harder than others...
Old Oct 31, 10, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
deleted

Last edited by aba030; Oct 31, 10 at 12:27 pm Reason: Found answer in another thread
Old Oct 31, 10, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Since the merger, I have booked several CO flights on UA metal. As many of you know, starting in October, UA is honoring CO Elite status for complimentary upgrades. Out of 6 flights this month on UA, I was only upgraded once. Last week when I was flying from IAD to SAN, I asked an agent in the RCC where I was in priority for an upgrade. She told me I was number 5 out of 52 but there was several Premiers and Premier Execs in front of me. I thought that was odd when I am a Plat on CO and should be at least a Premier Exec if not a 1K. She showed me the screen and sure enough, there were several Premiers and PEs in front of me. She told me that it could be a programming error and to call CO Elite line to get it straightened out.

So I called the CO Elite Line and explained the situation to the agent. She understood my problem and called the UA Elite Line. Sure enough, after 15 minutes of being on hold, the agent came back and said that UA confirmed there was a mistake when they hard coded my status on the UA system and I should be listed as a 1K.

Same thing happened to me. My secretary contacted CO and they corrected my status in the UA system. Ive only become concerned about being upgraded since I became a Presidential Platinum. Before becoming a Presidential Platinum my firm purchased unrestricted or full fare tickets. Now we only purchase deep discount tickets. Ive received 100% upgrades on CO and UA flights 17/17.

I sat next to a Presidential Platinum FlyerTalk member in first on a EWR/LAX flight about a month ago. We chatted nonstop the entire flight. He gave me several tips about frequent flyer programs. However, he never gave me his FlyerTalk screen name. My firm has saved thousands of dollars on airfare just by using or applying his tips. I was hesitant to join or even post. However, I find FlyerTalk very entertaining and informative. Thank you again Presidential Platinum FlyerTalk member for all the valuable information.
Old Oct 31, 10, 6:43 pm

I have also flown a few times on United after the elite reciprocity was announced -- no upgrades.

CO Plats are essentially like "silvers" on united (upgraded after UA Prem Exec) - making it very difficult for CO Elites on United..

Search this Thread