Waitlist UA Award seat using CO miles?

Old Oct 29, 10, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Waitlist UA Award seat using CO miles?

Anyone with knowledge/experience waitlisting a UA operated flight for an award seat using CO miles? If not, am I able to go on waitlist for upgrade on day of departure?

Specifically, flying to CAI in 1st via SFO from ORD. I have lie flat business seats on the 3 cabin 763 booked for myself and the gf. I would like to waitlist 1st class since the award miles I am spending would allow that cabin if available.

I have been searching everyday for the last 1.5 months and havent found anything.

I have UA miles I *think* I could use to waitlist as a one way award. However, I don't know how I would merge the two itineraries if the waitlist did come through.. Help is greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 29, 10, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not believe it is possible. Sorry.

I know the inverse is not possible (w/l using UA miles on CO metal) and I do not think they've got any reciprocity working on awards yet other than UDU/EUA.
Old Oct 29, 10, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming what I had hoped not to be the case.

I suppose my best bet is asking politely for "upgrade" to 1st at airport.
Old Oct 29, 10, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jjgollum View Post
Thanks for confirming what I had hoped not to be the case.

I suppose my best bet is asking politely for "upgrade" to 1st at airport.

Not really. Your best bet is to check the UA flight periodically for award F space to open up. If it does, call CO to switch to it.

I did exactly that earlier this year while on a CO miles reward -- I could only get SFO-ORD in C, and when 3-class F opened up on a different flight, I switched. But it could have been the same flight as well.
Old Oct 30, 10, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be difficult if not impossible to "upgrade" a reward ticket on a partner carrier at the airport on the day of departure, even if the award redeemed was for the higher class of service. The operating carrier doesn't really know how many miles were paid for the ticket and what class that entitles you to -- they just see a ticket issued for Business Class. Typically the only way to get into the correct class is to have the carrier that issued the ticket re-issue it in that class of service. Which, of course, they can only do if and when there is availability.

That said, I did once "talk" my way into F at the airport on a CX flight from JFK-YVR where it was a first class award via AA but the segment could only be confirmed in Business. It was a somewhat involved process, and not something I would normally expect. (In this case there had been reports of success of this happening with AA award tickets on CX here on FT.)

Search this Thread