FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Boeing Reveals "Sky Interior" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1141770-boeing-reveals-sky-interior.html)

MBM3 Oct 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Boeing Reveals "Sky Interior"

Interesting video displaying some nice innovation that will be included on future 737 deliveries that CO has on order.

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/..._10_27_10.html

entropy Oct 28, 2010 3:46 pm

c.o.o.l.

hopefully they'll come with E+ too!

cova Oct 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Looks nice. But we talked about the new interior some months back. Pushing the storage bins up with swing downs - is not going to hold as much as the current bins. Yes, they say three roller bags will fit - but I do not believe it unless they demo with a variety of roller bags - not just the nicely sized ones.

elll Oct 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 15032698)
Looks nice. But we talked about the new interior some months back. Pushing the storage bins up with swing downs - is not going to hold as much as the current bins. Yes, they say three roller bags will fit - but I do not believe it unless they demo with a variety of roller bags - not just the nicely sized ones.

on the video she says overheads will have greater capacity than currnt 737s

ssullivan Oct 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 15032698)

The new bins are taller and deeper than the current ones.

Bushdog Oct 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I wish people would also actually comply with requests to put small items (like laptops) at their feet, vs filling up a bin and forcing someone else to gate check (or worse).

If they really can accomodate more bags and do so, I'll be quite happy.

channa Oct 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by elll (Post 15032723)
on the video she says overheads will have greater capacity than currnt 737s

Right, but the bin widths now are fixed, so you have to fit each set of bags within each bin, whereas currently the bins are longer, but have doors, so bags can span the bins.

While there may be a net positive increase in the volume of bin space, the poster who commented on it is concerned that there may be a decrease in the total amount of bags that can be stored.

It's a cool-looking cabin nonetheless.

WineCountryUA Oct 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15033089)
.... It's a cool-looking cabin nonetheless.

true but found the statement "the appearance makes the windows look larger" interesting -- just appear to be larger :( and that is a feature?

EWR764 Oct 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 15033115)
true but found the statement "the appearance makes the windows look larger" interesting -- just appear to be larger :( and that is a feature?

I think they are borrowing a page from the Airbus playbook here. If you've ever been on the A380, the window 'reveal' (as they call it) on the passenger's side is massive, but the actual hole in the skin of the airplane is quite a bit smaller. It gives the impression of a larger window by reflecting more light into the cabin without requiring any major structural modifications.

In terms of stowage, I think the bins were designed to stow standard rollaboard bags not just lengthwise, but on their side as well. This would definitely allow for a greater number of bags to be stowed if they were successful with this design. It also seems that the new design will mitigate the problem of shallower bins in the first rows of the first class cabin, which would be a very welcome improvement.

It remains to be seen how effective the individual air vents will be for aisle passengers, since the seat is pretty far from the PSU.

danielonn Oct 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Awesome

The new 737 is so awesome. Looks like a 777 interior with the overhead compartments. Now if Boeing would equip it with Connexion, Thales AVOD system and standard Airshow maybe Southwest could purchase it and offer IFE. I imagine the new Boeing aircraft will have more options including power/usb connections at every seat, music servers and better fuel consumption.

I would fly in these babies instead of the small ERJs.

chanp Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm

They do look nice. ^

From NYC Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Think it looks very nice. Just wondering about the air vents: couldn't quite tell how they'll operate, and I like having those.

COEWR2587 Oct 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bushdog (Post 15032803)
I wish people would also actually comply with requests to put small items (like laptops) at their feet, vs filling up a bin and forcing someone else to gate check (or worse).

If they really can accomodate more bags and do so, I'll be quite happy.

I'm sorry, unless I have exit row, I'm not putting anything under my seat. Y already has no legroom, the last thing I'm doing it taking away any more legroom.

MBM3 Oct 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587 (Post 15033900)
I'm sorry, unless I have exit row, I'm not putting anything under my seat. Y already has no legroom, the last thing I'm doing it taking away any more legroom.

At 6'4", under the seat in front of me is reserved for my size 13s.

pptp Oct 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by MBM3 (Post 15034174)
At 6'4", under the seat in front of me is reserved for my size 13s.

Ditto. I would be happy to put my smaller bag there but my dang feet are in the way.

Wonder when we'll start seeing these in service for CO.