How firm is 100k miles for SWUG?

Old Oct 27, 10, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K ex-CO Plat / PC
How firm is 100k miles for SWUG?

This may be a odd question but I know I will have one D fare round trip between SFO and EWR on CO for Thanksgiving (booked) and a hop between SFO and LAX probably on UA for Christmas (not booked).

I just figured out the mileage and those two trips will bring me to 99,981 EQMs, or 19 short of 100,000 for SWUG. Since I need to book the SFO-LAX segment, I just wanted to see whether I really needed to do some extraneous routing at Christmas should I skip a Vegas trip in two weeks. If I need to connect somewhere either to or from Christmas (or fly first for the 60 minute hop down the coast) so be it since the SWUG bonus is worth it.
Old Oct 27, 10, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Pro & UA Gold
I would not gamble on this one...not worth the risk. My advice would be to beg, borrow or steal the needed EQMs to reach 100,000.
Old Oct 27, 10, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Considering the discussion that has been going on with CO no longer allowing buy-ups for elite status or just comping the last few miles, I would be cautious. SWUs are not a status level, they are simply a reward for flying over top-tier. CO will surely have less sympathy for falling short of achieving extra credit.
Old Oct 27, 10, 5:06 pm

Just book a <500mile one way flight right now, making sure to select Y fare, then buy the extra miles and eqms. Then cancel the flight. $55 for 500 extra eqm and 4 SWU is a no-brainer.
Old Oct 27, 10, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K ex-CO Plat / PC
Points taken. Thanks for your thoughts. I will probably just book a ticket in first for SoCal. It will be a few dollars more than just buying EQMs but less hassle. Worst case I buy end of year EQMs.
Old Oct 27, 10, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by pjkenned View Post
Points taken. Thanks for your thoughts. I will probably just book a ticket in first for SoCal. It will be a few dollars more than just buying EQMs but less hassle. Worst case I buy end of year EQMs.
the buy eqm option may disapppear. could also buy b vs m on one flight to get it.
Old Oct 27, 10, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
As others point out - the 100K SWUs is likely VERY FIRMMMM.

The level is published, why should CO make any compromise here!
Old Oct 28, 10, 1:03 am
Suspended

the truth is no one knows.
Old Oct 28, 10, 3:39 am

Programs: CO - Platinum and SPG - Platinum
You could always pay for a higher fare class on one of the legs of your trip. That way you would get 150% elite credit instead of 100%. That would probably be cheaper than booking another trip and the time for it if you are just flying for the SWU. Just a thought.
Old Oct 28, 10, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gregsachs View Post
Just book a <500mile one way flight right now, making sure to select Y fare, then buy the extra miles and eqms. Then cancel the flight. $55 for 500 extra eqm and 4 SWU is a no-brainer.
Could someone expand on how this works? Can we basically buy an unlimited number of elite miles in this manner? What's the formula for how much they cost - is it $0.11 per mile?
Old Oct 28, 10, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
I have 90K EQMs for the year, and I am not offered buy-up EQM's....just banked miles.
Old Oct 28, 10, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
I have 90K EQMs for the year, and I am not offered buy-up EQM's....just banked miles.
Old Oct 28, 10, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by ajhun9 View Post
Could someone expand on how this works? Can we basically buy an unlimited number of elite miles in this manner? What's the formula for how much they cost - is it $0.11 per mile?
Originally Posted by mike_plat View Post
The offer to purchase EQMs is contained in your itinerary when you pull up a prospective trip on CO.com under 'my account'.

Then, you will be offered two 'OnePass Reward Maximizer' (RDMs) options for redeemable miles (one for 'double miles' & one for 'triple miles'), -- so, if you click on the box next to an offer -- the 'Elite Maximizer Option' (EQMs) purchase offer comes up. In order to purchase the EQMs, you must first agree to purchase the RDMs. These will come up as two separate line transactions when you process a purchase of RDMs & EQMs.

There's lots of discussion on this topic in this thread!

Search this Thread