Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH - Cancun Elite Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum Elite, Marriott Rewards Gold, National Executive Elite
IAH - Cancun Elite Upgrades

Anyone had success with Elite Upgrades between Houston and Cancun...I'm Platinum and flying out Thursday afternoon flight and back sunday afternoon flight..
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I have had great success over the years with upgrades both out of IAH and EWR. Last time I went out of CUN the flight before mine had zero passengers booked the night before in F. I do not know when peak season is, but last march CO was running about nine flights per day between IAH and CUN. CUN tends to be a high leisure market. You'll notice in CUN when you check in that the regular line is quite long, while there will be no line at elite.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
IAH to CUN is somewhat easy to score an upgrade. My last trip there I got both myself and companion upgraded RT.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Easy

I think this is one of the easiest upgrades to score in their system...often the F cabin is very empty. And with the recent attacks on tourists in Cancun and ongoing problems in Mexico, it's that much easier to get upgrades.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Like fish in a barrel. Companions too.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by chiph
Like fish in a barrel. Companions too.
Companions used to be easy, but now I bet they sell upgrades for $49-ish at check-in so those seats may get snapped up.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think this is one of the easiest upgrades to score in their system...often the F cabin is very empty.
Agreed. I've never missed an upgrade on a CO flight between IAH and CUN or CZM. I don't recall ever missing an upgrade for a companion either.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
Companions used to be easy, but now I bet they sell upgrades for $49-ish at check-in so those seats may get snapped up.
Maybe so...I got a companion upgrade IAH-CUN a couple weeks ago. Listed at the gate, 5min prior to boarding.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andremcintosh
Anyone had success with Elite Upgrades between Houston and Cancun...I'm Platinum and flying out Thursday afternoon flight and back sunday afternoon flight..
I would say this will be quite an easy upgrade for you as a Platinum. I have never missed one as a Platinum or Gold. Doesn't matter what day of the week really, often there are empty seats up front or people buy upgrades. If you have a companion, they will likely get upgraded too. I would be surprised if you didn't get the upgrade notification at your upgrade window. Have fun in CUN!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Premier Gold, *G
I did this two weeks ago, IAH-CUN on a Thursday mid-day and return on Tuesday afternoon. I went out in coach about #4 on the waiting list as a Platinum. On the way back I got myself and a companion upgraded, but they were the last two seats available.

About a year and a half ago, in the middle of the swine flu, we got upgraded as a Gold (me, then), Silver, and Gold companion, both ways.

Perhaps the incessant flogging of mileage/cash upgrades is tempting vacationers and reducing EUA opportunities.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:27 pm

I and a companion got upgraded on all upgradable segments DCA-EWR-CUN-IAH-DCA as a NW Gold back before CO left for *A. DCA-EWR was on a Dash-8, so we didn't have anywhere to move up.

EWR-CUN and CUN-IAH all left with at least 2 seats open in F.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum Elite, Marriott Rewards Gold, National Executive Elite
thanks guys....got the upgrade notification yesterday for today's flight...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:49 pm

International Business class to Cancun

It is listed as International Business Class to Cancun. Is it pretty much like domestic first class service? I will be on a dinner flight EWR-CUN.

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, pretty much like domestic F service. Still, a choice of entrees and free booze but nothing else particularly phenomenal about it. Better than the back though.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:50 pm

PC access

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, pretty much like domestic F service. Still, a choice of entrees and free booze but nothing else particularly phenomenal about it. Better than the back though.
Thanks for the info.

For non-elites, does the first class ticket to CUN give you PC access in EWR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.