Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother after 75K Miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Marriott Plat
Why bother after 75K Miles

As I sat in the back of my IAH-EWR munching on my overpriced hockey puck of a hamburger, I wondered why I bothered giving CO any more business once I received Plt. Eventually I might use the SWU but since I do try to keep my travel costs down, I never expect to get the Pres Plat and thus am doomed to compete for an upgrade with those out of EWR paying for higher class tickets.

I am envious of those on other airlines who at least receive free drink coupons if they are not upgraded but CO seems to think that being able to get your luggage in the overhead compartment is sufficient compensation. BTW: After 9 months of travel, I am now at 120K and will probably be at
150+ before year end.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Well the SWUs are the obvious benefit. Beyond that, there's really not much of a point, IMO.

I agree it would be nice if CO did a la DL or AA and offered a free snack and/or drink in the back if you're an Elite in Y. AA does this for EXPs and DL does it for Gold and up (if you OLCI). UA has E+ which is always a nice concession. Maybe the COmbined carrier will do something.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Well the SWUs are the obvious benefit. Beyond that, there's really not much of a point, IMO.

I agree it would be nice if CO did a la DL or AA and offered a free snack and/or drink in the back if you're an Elite in Y. AA does this for EXPs and DL does it for Gold and up (if you OLCI). UA has E+ which is always a nice concession. Maybe the COmbined carrier will do something.
Yes, I'd like something a little better than the fake elite section in CO.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Yes, I'd like something a little better than the fake elite section in CO.
At least they don't call it the premium section any more, since there is clearly nothing remotely premium about it.

At least elite zone is accurate to the extent that it is reserved seating (for the most part) for elites.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, now I would bother to be in the same spot on the pecking order as UA 1ks when they're able to track mileage in both accounts. (I have a strong suspicion/hope that elites in both airlines will be tracked at 100k/75k/50k/25k tiers in the 2011 program year.)

There is the SWUs at 100k.

But, CO does lack incentives beyond that. NW used to hand out more SWUs as you racked on additional 30-50k miles I think. Good for keeping elites with your airline instead of splitting status over two.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
hmm........lets see...nonepass, low EAU %, BOBs with the same price airfare as you paid for M@M, EAU sweeps that dont happen. UG standby lists with 50 people on it Paid UGs for kettles while your UG hasn't cleared Heck maybe we should just stop at silver and be happy with a free bag
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by giggy
Heck maybe we should just stop at silver and be happy with a free bag
You got a free bag @ Silver??? Man! I feel screwed!

(just kidding....)

Next week's EWR-CLE-ATL-CLE-EWR pushes me into Gold. Good, because I have an MCO-LAS-EWR trip coming the week afterwards.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by raehl311
NW used to hand out more SWUs as you racked on additional 30-50k miles I think. Good for keeping elites with your airline instead of splitting status over two.
UA gives 2 extra SWUs for every 50K after 100K. Also, there are Elite Choice bonuses at 125K and 175K on top of that. Maybe we can hope for UA-style perks going forward.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by channa

Sorry the AA program is broken on mainline flights. Go over to the AA forum and you have to ask FAs for the perk(some don't even know it exists). Even AA won't make this policy offical. I once had to argue with a FA for this perk and ask the purser, when she came back she was not to happy that I was correct.

There is no point flying above the theshold on any carrier other than taking advantage of the perks you qualified for.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
There is the CO Million Miler Program. If you are earning 150K EQM a year - then you will make 1MM in 7 years. If you have a spouse or SO - this is a big benefit when they travel with you. While 1MM will only guarantee you Silver for life - if you are flying the 75K+ and earning Platinum - then your spouse/SO will get your same Platinum status as long as you earn it.

This solves the upgrade problem with two of you traveling together.

The question - do you have any interest in achieving Lifetime Status and the matching benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.