Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question from new CO flyer (UA 1K) about complimentary upgrades

Question from new CO flyer (UA 1K) about complimentary upgrades

Old Oct 10, 10, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
IAH-ORD on CO on a Monday morning is packed to the gills with elites. Many times the waitlist at the airport will have 20 plus Plats on the list. I used to take this flight weekly a few years a go and frequently the GA would announce that practically everyone was elite so they were going to just board by row. Did you buy a cheap advance purchase fare? Realize you will be behind ever Plat who bought a higher fare.
Back it May I did LAS-IAH-ORD on a Sunday afternoon and as a Plat I was the last upgrade to clear and it was only 5 minutes before boarding.

You will find that IAH/EWR-ORD/LAX/SFO/DEN are already elite heavy routes, during the summer it was normal to see 45 people on the Upgrade waitlist on the Monday morning EWR-ORD flight.
Old Oct 10, 10, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum
I live in ORD and switched to CO from DL in Jan. I have been upgraded 100% of the time EXCEPT ORD-IAH and back. I think I'm around 50% on that route.

Just a data point. I just bought a ticket ORD-IAH-SEA-ANC and back and wanted to use miles for early August. 5 out 6 segments were available now for the upgrade in a month. ORD-IAH does not have "R" class.

I know this is a free upgrade route but I figured it was the best use of award miles since there is not co-pay for a Plat.
Old Oct 10, 10, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Perhaps soon we will be able to track CO and UA upgrades on UDUStats! http://www.udustats.com/

Thanks again for everyone's tips. I will be content in my exit row tomorrow
Old Oct 10, 10, 11:50 pm

Programs: TK*Gold; WN A-list; AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
IAH-ORD on UA is no slam dunk for a 1K either. Very heavy elite...I've seen the list have over 20 folks on it with several 1Ks heading back to E+. I've had a couple of fails on both Sunday afternoon and on Monday on this route...with their Sunday afternoon flight being especially perilous (of course I am on it this coming Sunday and have picked out a nice exit row and am expecting to be in it).
Old Oct 11, 10, 4:39 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I think it depends on the day for ORD-IAH. Earlier flights on a Monday are common for a 1K/GS to be in E+ on any hub to hub route. I know ORD-IAD is awful with an A319 or A320. On UA 382 The 845 departure, I think I'm maybe 50% as a 1K on UDU. Most of the time in F/C on this route, its because I'm connecting to GVA and a paid C.

Now on the other hand, I've hit ORD-IAH 100% as a CO silver (only 4 times though). Although these were on a Wednesday and a Saturday and were evening departures.
Old Oct 11, 10, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
just did the OLCI and noticed i got u'd on tomorrow's flight.

merger is working!
Old Oct 12, 10, 8:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Hey everyone, it's the OP again. Wanted to give you guys an update on what happened.

Turns out there *was* something wrong with my "ticket." Remember when I said that I wasn't able to do OLCI because of an error message that my ticket didn't match my coupon or something like that? Got the same error message at CO kiosk at DFW. Check-in agent had to check me in manually.

I didn't bother asking about the upgrade list because it looked full already, but I did check the list on the PDA site -- noticed that it was 34 pax long, and I wasn't one of them! This got me curious, so I asked the GA to add me to the list, just to see where I would be on it. It took her about 4 minutes to add me (again, either something was wrong with my eticket or she was inexperienced with manually adding UA pax), but thankfully there was no line behind me. When she had finished, I was placed at 8/35 on waitlist. Two more pax in exit row area ended up getting on-board upgrades, so I finished the day 6/33.

What this indicates to me is that I never had a chance to clear the IAH-ORD upgrade ahead of time in the EUA process (i.e. after I cleared the DFW-IAH segment) because I wasn't on the list until manually added (unless it's possible for EUA list not to carry over to gate).

Now, it's definitely still possible (as you all have said) that all 20 of the cleared pax and 5 people ahead on the upgrade standby list were all CO Plat and above, so I'm not upset. Just seems like a curious situation I may never understand -- when I had initially called CS regarding not being able to OLCI, the phone agent literally said that it's "random" when stuff like this happens. Not that I believe in random, having experience with united.bomb!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: