Wiki Posts
Search

What is the great appeal to Channel 9?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum
What is the great appeal to Channel 9?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I am curious to find out why listening to Channel 9 on UAL flights is so interesting? I have had more people ask me if we are getting it on our CAL aircraft than any other question related to this merger.

SFO - EWR later this afternoon if anyone needs a ride!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clubord
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I am curious to find out why listening to Channel 9 on UAL flights is so interesting? I have had more people ask me if we are getting it on our CAL aircraft than any other question related to this merger.

It's fun for about 5 minutes to hear the lingo. Otherwise, not much. Besides, Of my last 6 flights on UA, only 1 had channel 9 running.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG

I heard of one instance where the captain made an announcement to the passengers that they were going to divert to a different airport due to weather/fuel concerns. Shortly after this happened, ATC gave them clearance to land at their originally planed destination. A savvy listener tuned into ATC9, picked up on it and made an announcement to the passengers around him. The captain came on and announced the change quite a while after the first announcement was made.

Advanced notifications is one benefit I guess. Aside from that example, the only other thing I can think of is that it's just really cool to hear what is going on behind the scenes.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by gawhite411
It's fun for about 5 minutes to hear the lingo. Otherwise, not much. Besides, Of my last 6 flights on UA, only 1 had channel 9 running.
Channel 9 is at the crews discretion.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat

It's interesting to hear all of the chatter, especially around the airports (approach, ground, etc.).

I heard an XJet pilot ask why departures was having certain flights use 26R at IAH. The controller came back in a kind of snarky voice, "Well, we've run the numbers with Ops and we can push out more departures faster in the mornings if all westbound traffic uses 26R".

Things like that are interesting to hear.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
9 is interesting, but not as much as watching the pathetic plats at the gate, whispering sweet nothings and smiling in an attempt to get that last upgrade, and then stretching their necks to be sure you have that 1st class boarding pass as the line begins to form.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WildRyan
Channel 9 is at the crews discretion.
Right. So what's the point of worrying about whether or not CO has it? Just pretend they do, but the pilot has decided not to turn it out. No different than home for the UA flyer.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
If you're interested in aviation, channel 9 is interesting and fun to listen to. if you're not, it isnt. Pretty simple.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
ere, but I am curious to find out why listening to Channel 9 on UAL flights is so interesting?
Well, a lot of people here are "aviation geeks", and its more "unique" than listening to the "top 20 hits", especially when in the sterile cockpit zone and can't use your own electronics.

I usually use Ch9 pre-push to the beginning of service. And then 45 minutes out. Sometimes I flip it on intermittently throughout the flight to see which center we are reporting to.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
I usually use Ch9 pre-push to the beginning of service. And then 45 minutes out. Sometimes I flip it on intermittently throughout the flight to see which center we are reporting to.
Agreed. The ability to groan, look up at the FA and tell her we were headed to the penalty box because of a MX issue was entertaining but it isn't a make/break issue for me at all.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. The ability to groan, look up at the FA and tell her we were headed to the penalty box because of a MX issue was entertaining but it isn't a make/break issue for me at all.
That's it for me. I thoroughly enjoy Channel 9 but it does not sway my buying decision unless the difference is minuscule.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
I find it entertaining, much more so than the canned music programs and moronic movies they have been showing lately (not just on UA). I enjoy knowing the flight status and have gotten to understand various approaches to destinations. I am always disappointed when a captain has informed the FA's that it will not be available.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I have the LiveATC app for my iphone. Its really cool to kill time at an airport such as SEA where you have a great view and can follow all the action.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
As an aviation enthusiast it's fun to listen to.

On my last UA, we were on final to LGA and it was interesting to listen to the following dialogue between ATC and our pilots:

ATC: UA 8XX, reduce your speed to 180

[pause]

ATC: UA 8XX, did you hear my last transmission?

UA 8XX: No.

ATC: Reduce your speed to 180

UA 8XX: We are at 180

ATC: No, reduce to 180

UA 8XX: Are you sure? Repeat, we are at 180

ATC: No, ground speed shows 210

UA 8XX: OK

After that, I felt the plane slow down and the nose tilt up slightly before the pilots put on the next level of flaps...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
^ You just have to be a plane geek. That's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.