HNL-IAH what's it like?

Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
HNL-IAH what's it like?

I have never flown on CO and am just looking at booking HNL-IAH. What can I expect - are ther videos and food in the back, or should I stick with UA?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Individual screen with 9 video and 17 audio channels running on a 2.5 hour loop. Hot sandwich and pre-arrival snack. Since this is one of few domestic trips over 6.5 hours, it will continue to get the complimentary food.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Well, if you're looking at the CO non-stop (CO flights 001 and 002), they are great.

In my book non-stop always beats making a connection.

If you're looking at the premium cabin, you'll get the old-school business class type seats, but with 55" seat pitch and very comfortable for this flight, plus outstanding in-flight service.

If you're looking at business class, the advantage goes to CO, hands down, as on United, you would fly the "ghetto" bird 763 into LAX and then conect.

In the coach cabin, CO does not have E+, but at least the plane used on these flights (Boeing 767-400) has 32" seat pitch.

The In Flight Entertainment on these planes is old-school movies and TV shows, but better than what you would get on UA.

In economy is slightly more of a toss-up. I would still prefer the non-stop but on UA at least you can get E+, and although CO does have more legroom at bulkheads and exit rows, this particular type of plane doesn't really have economy seats with more legroom. The seats in row 16 have one more inch of legroom, but since they are at the bulkhead, there is nowhere to slide your feet, so it isn't really an advantage.

Meal service on Continental in economy is pretty much similar to what you would expect on UA.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Thanks, got my reservation.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO GE, AA Plat, Hyatt Pla, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I would stick with CO for HNL->IAH. Even with coach over 6 hours, it does not feel that long and fairly comfortable flight.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
The 767 in coach is one of the better seats in the fleet, but the IFE is pretty bad. In BF it is the recliner seats for now, for domestic very good. I like the single middle seat when traveling alone!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Seems that HNL 767 BF looks pretty good.

Anyway to get upgraded?

Is it easy or hard? At what cost?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
<doing it rong>
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by kb1992

Anyway to get upgraded?

You can buy upgrades at the day of departure at a discount. I think it is about 450 bucks for non elites? Ask at check in. If they have seats they will sell the upgrades.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Compared to UA's Island service, yes. Compared to the 75s or 77s, not really.

Anyway to get upgraded?
Yup. Cash & miles in advance or cash on day of are both options.

Quite easy to request the upgrade. Whether it clears or not is a whole different story. For cost check out the REVUP bit of the FAQ thread or it is 7,500-17,500 miles each way plus a potential copay of up to $500.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...?O=US&D=HI&P=U
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA
Talking HNL-IAH Upgrade

My wife and I missed the miles+$$ upgrade, so she was checking in on her iPhone and CO offered the chance of moving up to BF for $450 and no miles. Sure beat 17,500 miles and $500! We jumped on that deal and saved money AND miles. Thanks CO!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I recently flew CO73 over and CO02 back. I was close to the front of Coach both times, and other than the older movies entertainment, I thought it was pretty nice.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by sbm12
Compared to UA's Island service, yes. Compared to the 75s or 77s, not really.
??? CO doesn't run 77s to HNL from the mainland and UAs 77s up front are standard domestic and suck as are the 75s on both from LAX, so what are you referring to?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aloha1
??? CO doesn't run 77s to HNL from the mainland and UAs 77s up front are standard domestic and suck as are the 75s on both from LAX, so what are you referring to?
Just the relative quality of BF on the 76s versus the converted 75s/77s. You are correct that the better products do not fly to the islands.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by sbm12
Just the relative quality of BF on the 76s versus the converted 75s/77s. You are correct that the better products do not fly to the islands.
Roger that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.