Goodbye Continental Airlines

 
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 495
Unhappy Goodbye Continental Airlines

With just a few days left of the carrier we all(most) come to love in one way or another. I would to say thank you for your professionalism, great service and at times humor. Good luck to all of you.
EddieG is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,487
Welcome to the Friendly Skies.

Its time to fly.
entropy is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Posts: 10,008
Originally Posted by EddieG View Post
With just a few days left of the carrier we all(most) come to love in one way or another. I would to say thank you for your professionalism, great service and at times humor. Good luck to all of you.
This is one of the most subtle, or let's say "tricky," mergers in the airline business because while the Continental name may be going away, it's clear that the new United will be run as primarily as possible under the Continental system.

So in a way, it's a huge boost for Continental.

The only changes I can see for the true-blue die-hard Continental loyalist is for the better, with the potential of E+, bigger RJ's, and international FC.

And I would be profoundly surprised to see any of the Continental line employees not retain their jobs in the new company.
TWA Fan 1 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,657
Reasons I choose Continental. My top 10 list in no particular order

- The most non stops from New York City
- clean, safe, reliable air transportation
- brand new and if old - well maintained airplanes
- Star Alliance, and in the past sky team
- Service to EWR and LGA (for maximum flexibility)
- SWU (while only 4) valid on any fare.
- Nice and comfortable clubs, with showers
- Direct TV
- Real plugs, no cigarette adapters
- And finally the #1 reason why I chose CO+ UA is = It's not American Airlines
meFIRST is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:42 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Posts: 10,008
Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
Reasons I choose Continental. My top 10 list in no particular order

- The most non stops from New York City
- clean, safe, reliable air transportation
- brand new and if old - well maintained airplanes
- Star Alliance, and in the past sky team
- Service to EWR and LGA (for maximum flexibility)
- SWU (while only 4) valid on any fare.
- Nice and comfortable clubs, with showers
- Direct TV
- Real plugs, no cigarette adapters
- And finally the #1 reason why I chose CO+ UA is = It's not American Airlines
And, of course, none of that will change...
TWA Fan 1 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 4:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Programs: United Premier Gold, United Club
Posts: 582
Thanks Continental! You spurred me on to discover the joys of flying and earning miles and having elite status. My first ever MR was also on you metal.

Continental is changing it's name, but I think we know who will be wearing the pants in this relationship...
quantumslip is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 5:27 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco & Squaw Valley
Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Posts: 3,296
Originally Posted by quantumslip View Post
Continental is changing it's name, but I think we know who will be wearing the pants in this relationship...
After all, Continental is the airline that is uniting the world.
worldwidedreamer is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 5:27 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Posts: 10,008
Forum?

So on Friday, does this forum get combined with the United forum?
TWA Fan 1 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 5:30 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,202
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
So on Friday, does this forum get combined with the United forum?
Not likely.

The forums are generally speaking based on the FF programs more than the name on the side of the planes. In the case of the DL/NW merger it was the unification of SkyMiles that was the trigger for forum merger, not the closing of the merger financially. I would expect this one to be similar but the decision is really in TalkBoard's court.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 5:33 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Posts: 10,008
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Not likely.

The forums are generally speaking based on the FF programs more than the name on the side of the planes. In the case of the DL/NW merger it was the unification of SkyMiles that was the trigger for forum merger, not the closing of the merger financially. I would expect this one to be similar but the decision is really in TalkBoard's court.
Understood, although, clearly at some point the two ff programs will be fully merged and then folks a TalkBoard will merge these two forums.
TWA Fan 1 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 6:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CLEveland, OH USA
Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Posts: 580
I'm ready to see the CO Globe on a 747 tail again!
cbechdel is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 7:06 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
So in a way, it's a huge boost for Continental.

The only changes I can see for the true-blue die-hard Continental loyalist is for the better, with the potential of E+, bigger RJ's, and international FC.

Indeed. The CO flyer has a lot to gain, and very little to lose. Too bad the same cannot be said for the UA flyer.
channa is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 7:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAS, SAT, IAH
Programs: Flying Nut
Posts: 6,365
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Indeed. The CO flyer has a lot to gain, and very little to lose. Too bad the same cannot be said for the UA flyer.
Well the advantage I read for the UA folks is they get to keep an airline to fly. This merger was not about saving a bankrupty airline but as a means for UA to live on. Thank is a BIG something to be thankful for.
Scott6067 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 7:22 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Originally Posted by Scott6067 View Post
Well the advantage I read for the UA folks is they get to keep an airline to fly. This merger was not about saving a bankrupty airline but as a means for UA to live on. Thank is a BIG something to be thankful for.

You're assuming UA was going to fold, which I don't believe was the case.
channa is offline  
Old Sep 28, 10, 7:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Posts: 2,755
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Indeed. The CO flyer has a lot to gain, and very little to lose. Too bad the same cannot be said for the UA flyer.
I think it's truly a case where 1+1 is way > than 2...

^^^


SunLover
SunLover is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: