Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by channa
I think once you start meeting and working with the UA customers, you'll find them to be decent as well. I hope you enjoy the UA open house and SFO DO, which is probably comprised of many UA folks.
I enjoyed it last year and look forward to this year's event. The UA folks that I have met are very nice and it will be nice to see some of them again. Soon they will be my customers too.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Then shortly after takeoff I felt something vibrating under my foot… I always take my shoes off on planes (but I don’t put my feet on the bulkhead). I looked down in astonishment to find a small pink vibrator with a rubber ring to attach around one’s finger. I decided to not put it around my finger and found an excuse to get something out of my bag overhead, thinking I’d maybe find a young, attractive lady back there missing something. Instead, I found a ~50 y/o man . I’m hoping it was left from another passenger and not his, but I didn't ask.
I'm trying to imagine how the situation would have played out if you called the F/A button and they made an announcement over the PA...

But yeah, I think that the scene you describe with the UGS would have been obnoxious to most of the passengers around on a UA flight. It's weird also because it sounds like she flipped out about things where UA is generally on par with United...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
No, in fact the opposite. Vouchers in ridiculously high dollar amounts for trivial things is not good customer service. It is an indication of fear and it is essentially the same thought process as throwing money at a political/social problem and then being shocked years later when the problem is still there. The people on the receiving end are thrilled because the airline has conditioned them into thinking that a petty complaint will subsidize a good chunk (and in some people's cases, all) of a future flight.

The airline would rather give away revenue than lose a high-mile flyer who will also counter-recruit to their friends and colleagues. It's a sound idea that has been misapplied. The airline is giving away too much for too little, and the savvy consumer of today is expecting more and more for less and less.
Why do you say the problem is still there?

They use the data from those incidents to address the issue. If it's reported on board, it's written up. If it's reported after the fact, it's addressed. And the aggregate data (e.g., frequency of broken jack) is valuable since it lets them decide if their check processes are frequent enough.

Combine that with the fact that the customer gets something tangible immediately so they feel they have some recognition for the inconvenience, the vouchers are highly restrictive (much more than CO's voucher) are valid on base fare only (not including taxes), have huge breakage, and so on, not to mention the customer service on the apology card program is automated, so that there is no cost to handling the transaction.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Why do you say the problem is still there?
Because it's not about a specific problem onboard or in-flight...you are citing broken jacks, and I am citing the reaction to the broken jack. The problem I'm referring to is the spread of the cultural phenomenon that a voucher should come to you for the tiniest of inconveniences. I like my IFE and I love 9 (despite my low use of UA, I like the idea of hearing the cockpit no matter what), but if I sat down to find a broken jack I'd get over it. Luck of the draw, tell the crew, end of story. Others, not so much.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Because it's not about a specific problem onboard or in-flight...you are citing broken jacks, and I am citing the reaction to the broken jack. The problem I'm referring to is the spread of the cultural phenomenon that a voucher should come to you for the tiniest of inconveniences. I like my IFE and I love 9 (despite my low use of UA, I like the idea of hearing the cockpit no matter what), but if I sat down to find a broken jack I'd get over it. Luck of the draw, tell the crew, end of story. Others, not so much.

Exactly - it really depends on one's view. If someone were on a SYD-SFO and was now unable to watch movies for 15 hours, the flight is full so they couldn't move, and they had no backup IFE, that'd be a pretty big drag.

The package that you buy includes your seat and advertised amenities. If they're not working, you're not getting part of what you paid for. The nature of the airline business is that you can't always get things rectified right away (e.g., if McDonald's shorted your fries, you walk right back up, and they fix it, apologize, and it's no big deal). But a broken reading light on an evening flight when a harried business traveller with little downtime had intended on reading some documents for work and being productive is impacting.

The item itself may seem trivial. It's the impact that's worth considering. Besides, it's simple fairness. Having to sit for hours without part of what you paid for isn't right.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed. But not to be a jerk about demanding it. Big difference. :-:
Quite. Passengers sometimes need something so that they can take a pill or other medication - this woman's attitude was appalling. I am delighted that as a United Elite she will probably not be bothering with us.

I think that given the tirade I would have cut her short and said that I thought that I heard the caterers - gone to the toilet and got her water from the cold tap and hope that it would poison her. As for the vibrator, it was hers of course. No doubt, it had fallen out and in all the excitement she had not even noticed. I would not have touched it however, think where it had been! Ugh!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
...and they had no backup IFE, that'd be a pretty big drag.
Not unlike a Russian taking a dump, I never board a flight without a plan. I always have entertainment available in case of failure or delay. Exercising some personal responsibility does wonders.

...But a broken reading light on an evening flight when a harried business traveller with little downtime had intended on reading some documents for work and being productive is impacting.
Again, personal responsibility. There are those little mini-lights that can sit on one's finger and work just fine. Technology has evolved to the point that backup plans for certain situations can be accounted for with the use little to no space, weight, or cost...just some thinking. By no means am I advocating carrying around a spare jet engine in case your plane breaks. Simple, easy stuff for problems that have a reasonable likelihood of happening.

...The item itself may seem trivial. It's the impact that's worth considering. Besides, it's simple fairness. Having to sit for hours without part of what you paid for isn't right.
I can't find fault with this thought, but I do find fault with unreasonable reliance on things that the individual has no control over.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL GM
Maybe you should have picked up the finger fun with a napkin and said, I apologize, but you might find this may help to take your mind off that missing glass of water. Besides, it may help you unwind a little also.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Laughable
Maybe you should have picked up the finger fun with a napkin and said, I apologize, but you might find this may help to take your mind off that missing glass of water. Besides, it may help you unwind a little also.
^

That's got to be just about the best possible response to the situation!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5-Star, Hilton Gold
No, in fact the opposite. Vouchers in ridiculously high dollar amounts for trivial things is not good customer service. ...
Wow, what a great summary - I've been writing this note to United for the past 4 months with each consecutive F-BAR that they pull on me. Its reached a point that my wife eagerly awaits my next run-in with stupidity at United as I inevitably have to give her the coupons to use since I am on a discount program that cannot be combined with these vouchers.

Funny thing is, every time they ask me if the "compensation" was appropriate and sufficient, I have to say NO. When the problem isn't fixed (.bomb) or its in the past (on plane issue) I would far prefer a heartfelt human voice on the phone saying "I'm so sorry this happened" over an inhuman email with $150 voucher and a pre-canned message = "poop happens, here's your money".

As a business owner and operator I know my lifeblood is making my customers believe (by being the best) that choosing another company will be painful and difficult, not just trying to bribe them... otherwise I'm in a commodity business where margins are low and customers move around alot. So airlines are becoming like cell phone operators, they try to find ways to sucker you in the door (subsidized phones), and then force you to stay. I prefer actually running my business in a way that makes my customers happy to work with me, rather than afraid of the cost to leave.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindaiah
Getting back to the OP's post --
because you said the 'lady' was across the aisle from you, and the FA had to fight the stream of boarding passengers to get back to the galley, I'm assuming you weren't in the bulkhead row on this flight (wouldn't be much of a fight for the FA from the first row is all I'm sayin') -- is that correct? If so, how do you know the object under your foot wasn't from someone in front of you? You know how things on the floor tend to slide backward upon takeoff.... Anyone of interest in those seats? Just a thought.
Correct, I was in row 3. I had my bag under the right section of the seats in front and the lady beside me had her bag under the center, so it couldn't have migrated from the SIBMen in the row ahead of me. I briefly thought it could have been from the lady beside me, but it was too far to the right and I don't think she'd have ANY idea what it was... just a hunch, so maybe I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Laughable
LOL! Too bad I found it after take-off and she was, unfortunately, given a water before we left IAH.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfvaida
Wow, what a great summary - ...

As a business owner and operator I know my lifeblood is making my customers believe (by being the best) that choosing another company will be painful and difficult, not just trying to bribe them... otherwise I'm in a commodity business where margins are low and customers move around alot. So airlines are becoming like cell phone operators, they try to find ways to sucker you in the door (subsidized phones), and then force you to stay. I prefer actually running my business in a way that makes my customers happy to work with me, rather than afraid of the cost to leave.
Thank you for your kind words, sir. Much kudos to you for your philosophy, as it is clear that your head is screwed on, as opposed to UA's.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
?

I have been reading so many negative comments about UA, and--while I have no stake in UA over any other airline--I am simply wondering what the issue is.

On September 20th, I flew LGA-DEN-LGA on UA, leaving LGA on the 8:13 AM and returning the same day on the 5:52 PM.

The outbound flight was on a spotlessly maintained and clean 752. Although I did not get UDU, I had a wonderful E+ with 35" of seat pitch.

The return was on an equally modern, well-maintained and clean A-320, again E+.

The interiors were spotless, elegant. The seats wonderfully spacious and comfortable (yes, I know UA's has older planes as well, I have been on them).

Both flights left on time and arrived early.

Every single UA employee I encountered was not only friendly, professional, kind, they all went out of their way to make us feel good about flying with them, certainly comparable to the best service one would encounter on CO.

Special kudos goes out to the f/a's on the return flight. This was a full flight and there was the usual lack of space in the overhead compartments. But instead of dealing with it in the typical uptight and unhelpful manner (which I must say I see quite a bit of flying CO), they were charming, funny and worked really hard to accommodate everyone's bags.

One passenger had a custom-made guitar which was fragile. With only a few minutes to go before departure, instead of being mean and nasty, the UA f/a's worked diligently (and with good humor) to find a safe spot for it.

The beverage & BoB service was followed by repeated passages through the cabin with water, coffee and tea and, finally, with free white wine not consumed by the folks in the FC cabin.

Yes, we did not have LiveTV, but at least the IFE was free (I watched The Joneses with David Duchovny and Demi Moore on the pop-down screens) and instead of Meals at Mealtime, we had BoB (whether on CO or UA, I would bring my own meal).

At the end of the flight, a passenger in the row in front of me, gave the f/a a thank you note and a tip. How often do you see that? I think it was completely merited.

As I have written before, I have flown UA 4-8 times a year since 2006, and this is how all my flights have been. I have never encountered anything but wonderfully friendly and professional people and consistently on time service.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Both airlines have their good and bad points just like everything else in this imperfect world we live in.....and although I've been a Plat Elite with CO for many years, I go way back with UA as well. I was born and raised in California and have flown UA extensively. I've had some truly wonderful flights up in the Friendly Skies. For example, my first flights on the 747-400 and 777 were with UA in F - and the service was great. Plus, one of my best and oldest friends is currently a 757/767 Captain with UA. Like CO, UA has a proud (and colorful) history.

Folks, I think what we all need to do here is step back, take a deep breath and then let the combined management of the "new UA" show us what they can do. It should be obvious to all that the airline business can be and is extremely difficult. As Bob Crandall said awhile back, he would never invest in an airline. I think his comment speaks volumes. So let's give this merger a chance as I think it was inevitable. I just glad that UA and CO chose one another instead of other possible combinations.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jlemon
Both airlines have their good and bad points just like everything else in this imperfect world we live in.....and although I've been a Plat Elite with CO for many years, I go way back with UA as well. I was born and raised in California and have flown UA extensively. I've had some truly wonderful flights up in the Friendly Skies. For example, my first flights on the 747-400 and 777 were with UA in F - and the service was great. Plus, one of my best and oldest friends is currently a 757/767 Captain with UA. Like CO, UA has a proud (and colorful) history.

Folks, I think what we all need to do here is step back, take a deep breath and then let the combined management of the "new UA" show us what they can do. It should be obvious to all that the airline business can be and is extremely difficult. As Bob Crandall said awhile back, he would never invest in an airline. I think his comment speaks volumes. So let's give this merger a chance as I think it was inevitable. I just glad that UA and CO chose one another instead of other possible combinations.
Very well said indeed.

In other words, no one should allow their fears or biases to take what could actually be a good thing and turn it into a bad thing through the useless expenditure of negative energy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.