Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
seriously, did you have to use that word? not a prude, but not a word i want to be reading on a forum i utilize at work and certainly has no business being discussed within the confines of CO OnePass. bad even the other d- word showed up on this thread.
So you clicked on a thread with "vibrator" in the title and didn't think there would be any further references to it? And, FWIW, I was talking about the town in Newfoundland.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jadenus
So you clicked on a thread with "vibrator" in the title and didn't think there would be any further references to it? And, FWIW, I was talking about the town in Newfoundland.
Umm, yes. The two words are used in totally different scenarios.

Oh, right the town. Do you always spell towns in lowercase letters?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
So, what you're saying is that the flight attendants deserve deal with people like that, while they aren't being paid? And that these passengers, who obviously feel they are more important than the other pax, should be able to monopolize the time of the FAs over other paying passengers, hence significantly decreasing the quality of the product offered, especially since the FA is in a pissy mood because of said passenger?
No, I did not say these things, you said these things. Furthermore, everyone can tell that you, not I, said these things, because our usernames are written next to each of our posts. A message board is not like an airplane, where you get to decide what I said.

In all honesty, I've never given someone the boot for being rude. I've always found that well-placed sarcasm, or even intimidation on my part, goes a long way.
Intimidation on your part, eh?

When I get on a United flight, I avoid eye contact and all unnecessary communication with flight attendants, and for good reason. I didn't think this was necessary on Continental, but you are changing my mind very quickly.

I also pride myself on having never received a customer complaint either ^
Maybe the intimidation works then. But every flight comes to an end, and with it, the crew's power over the passengers. The airlines do their best to bully and intimidate the passengers, but their effectiveness is limited, because every flight comes to an end.

Last edited by Wilke; Sep 19, 2010 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Umm, yes. The two words are used in totally different scenarios.

Oh, right the town. Do you always spell towns in lowercase letters?
Oh, for Pete's sake. "Dildo" and "vibrator" are not bad words. Stop being so neo-Puritanical. IAHTraveler related a story about a dildo on the floor of the aircraft so I posted a related quote from Fight Club.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
I generally agree with channa on how CO compares to UA. UA is a better airline IMO for the 100,000+ miles a year flyer (if UA’s route network works for you). I have been CO Plat three of the last 8 years so have CO experience to back up my opinion.

I recently was chatting with a CO FA about the merger. He mentioned how hard it was going to be to integrate CO's professional workforce with UA's lazy inferior workforce. Too much COolaid being believed by CO themselves and some CO flyer. CO's workforce is very similar in the level of professionalism, skill, ability, brilliance, and ability to serve as other US airlines, not vastly superior.

This does not mean I find the GS's behavior in the OP excusable. At times, I have defended GAs/FAs against unreasonable passengers. I'm not sure if I could have done anything to help, but at a minimum,I would have let the FA know I would be writing her airline to let them know the GS was a complete XYZ and that in my extensive experience flying UA, the vast majority of GS passengers are respectable people, unlike her passenger today. She need not fear having tons of GS XYZ passengers making her life difficult in this merger.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:17 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rggale
slightly off topic, but i dont think that vibrator on the ground is designed for one's finger!

you should have taken one for the team, picked it up, and "accidentally" in turbulence fumbled it towards the UA GS member!
1. Umm, the silicone-looking "ring" that was attached to it *HAD* to be designed for a finger. Nothing else to say on that front in this forum

2. After seeing the Hawaiian shirted guy behind me, I wasn't going to take any risks & touch it.

Ah, how I wish I were one of the "most professional men and women in the industry" (RAH RAH!) working that flight so I could have given her the choice of continuing her attitude and complaining to the ground staff as the flight left without her, or shutting up and taking the water and the crappy headphones and being happy with it.
I would have loved to see the FA react like that!

seriously, did you have to use that word? not a prude, but not a word i want to be reading on a forum i utilize at work and certainly has no business being discussed within the confines of CO OnePass. bad even the other d- word showed up on this thread.
The "other d- word" is that bad? Will shower be another word we shouldn't use here?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
If a UA GS paid $2,500 for a domestic F ticket, it seems reasonable to want a glass of water. There is some likelihood this person paid the highest fare of anyone on the plane for their seat, so to the FA who would have happily given them the choice to leave the plane - just remember - that single person probably pays a significant part of your salary. I would do whatever one can to keep them on that plane and want them to keep coming back for more.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by travel.flier
If a UA GS paid $2,500 for a domestic F ticket, it seems reasonable to want a glass of water. There is some likelihood this person paid the highest fare of anyone on the plane for their seat, so to the FA who would have happily given them the choice to leave the plane - just remember - that single person probably pays a significant part of your salary. I would do whatever one can to keep them on that plane and want them to keep coming back for more.
I doubt that UA GS paid that kind of money to travel on an airline that they didn't have status on. I have a funny feeling that most GS and now CO's Platinum Plus Elites earn their title by flying internationally.

While it is reasonable to request water, it is not reasonable to act like an spoiled child when the glass of water can not be provided for immediately. And while a GS is high revenue for UA, they are not high revenue for CO. We treat all F passengers equally- which is what drives the UA Elites bonkers.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
An FA allowing himself/herself to be subjected to this type of behavior (the behavior of the GS after being informed the flight had not yet been serviced by catering) and "do whatever" only further encourages such rude and condescending behavior from certain passengers. I believe the FA handled the situation with the utmost of professionalism.

IMO, just because someone may have "paid the highest fare of anyone on the plane for their seat" does not give that passenger the right to act as the GS did.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
$2500 for a domestic F ticket on this particular flight? This is pure speculation on your part.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
No matter what she paid there is simply no room for this kind of rude behaviour. Well done to the CO FA's for handling matters with sheer and utter professionalism.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I recently was chatting with a CO FA about the merger. He mentioned how hard it was going to be to integrate CO's professional workforce with UA's lazy inferior workforce. Too much COolaid being believed by CO themselves and some CO flyer. CO's workforce is very similar in the level of professionalism, skill, ability, brilliance, and ability to serve as other US airlines, not vastly superior.
Be careful there. I have been told by some members of the COol-Aid COntingent that the "Rah! Rah! We're the Best!" attitude is figment of my imagination.

Accordingly, your story about your conversation with the CO FA must be a fabrication.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
Originally Posted by carvalh2
I hope she gets so upset that she ends up going to AAnother airline.
Since she has status with you guys she's unlikley to come over to our end (thankfully). You can keep her.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless

I actually really like the flight crews when you fly first class on UA. Coach is coach is coach. But there are differences in FC. CO I think generally has a better product, but I like the UA F/A attitude. Lots of them are very fun. I often find CO F/A's to be uptight, but usually professional. I had two recently that were just awful. I thought I was flying US again.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ohstewardess
I actually really like the flight crews when you fly first class on UA. Coach is coach is coach. But there are differences in FC. CO I think generally has a better product, but I like the UA F/A attitude. Lots of them are very fun. I often find CO F/A's to be uptight, but usually professional. I had two recently that were just awful. I thought I was flying US again.
I have flown a fair amount of UA Y, including, recently, LGA-DEN, LGA-IAD and LGA-ORD. Yes, of course, coach is coach, but I have always found the f/a's to be perfectly friendly and professional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.