Wiki Posts
Search

Is LH always a pain to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Is LH always a pain to upgrade?

I booked a B fare LAX-MUC about a month ago and have been checking multiple times every day hoping for an upgrade using CO miles. Even though LH rep told me there are over 9 seats open in biz, still no upgrade seats available. I am nearing the 24-hr departure threshold, after which - if I understand the rules correctly - I can no longer request an upgrade. LH rep told me sometimes upgrades are possible at the airport, but is it possible for *A members, or just LH's FFP members?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I believe you will need a LH or UA SWU to upgrade at the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Or LH miles. Of course upsell to business is available against cash
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I believe you will need a LH or UA SWU to upgrade at the airport.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Or LH miles. Of course upsell to business is available against cash
You can definitely use CO miles to upgrade a B fare on LH: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...rdUpgrade.aspx
I've never tried that so I cannot help the OP. I guess what happens is you cannot waitlist an upgrade - there should be upgrade availability and if you request it you get it.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Unfortunately there is no Waitlist for hte Star Alliance upgrade awards.
You should really check it obsessively until the 24-hr limit. After that you cannot apply for these awards.
So, if it does not clear before T-24, you have to consider buying up or see if anyone can apply a UA paper upgrade, etc (coupon connection).
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The problem is that many of us are used to free upgrades on mid-quality airlines. If you want to sit in a premium cabin on a premium airline, the best way is to buy a ticket.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
The problem is that many of us are used to free upgrades on mid-quality airlines. If you want to sit in a premium cabin on a premium airline, the best way is to buy a ticket.

The problem is that to upgrade using the *A upgrade program, it books into the award business bucket. LH award business can be scarce from the West Coast (particularly LAX or SFO). You'd probably have better luck from the East Coast or the middle of the country (ORD, DFW, IAH, etc.) where you often see better LH award availability.

One strategy is to find the award space before booking your ticket. That way you can strategically pick the flight that will clear immediately after ticketing.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
^^

Originally Posted by channa

The problem is that to upgrade using the *A upgrade program, it books into the award business bucket. LH award business can be scarce from the West Coast (particularly LAX or SFO). You'd probably have better luck from the East Coast or the middle of the country (ORD, DFW, IAH, etc.) where you often see better LH award availability.

One strategy is to find the award space before booking your ticket. That way you can strategically pick the flight that will clear immediately after ticketing.
That pretty much sums it up.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From SFO, I've found that the best course is to book whatever flights you can (usually via a midwest connection) for the dates you want, and then wait until T-7 to switch to the flights you really want. LH now seems to be following a T-7 release at least in First. In the past ten days before our recent trip, four First award seats were released on the LH SFO-FRA nonstop at T-7 almost every day.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
From SFO, I've found that the best course is to book whatever flights you can (usually via a midwest connection) for the dates you want, and then wait until T-7 to switch to the flights you really want. LH now seems to be following a T-7 release at least in First. In the past ten days before our recent trip, four First award seats were released on the LH SFO-FRA nonstop at T-7 almost every day.

Have you noticed the same to be true for business class? I've usually found LH F to be more available than LH C.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you noticed the same to be true for business class? I've usually found LH F to be more available than LH C.
I would agree. From my recent monitor, ANA's x-x-x usually changed to OK-x-x and I didn't recall many added Business seats showing up.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: UAMP
I have the same question as I have (2) LH "B" class tickets which I have been trying to upgrade everyday using my UAMP miles for departure on Sept 24, from MUC/LAX at 3:45 PM on LH # 452...A UAMP agent told me that there are seats still available in business class as confirmed when I check on some of the online ticket sites. Can someone check to see what the current status is for me and is there a time before the flight where calling for the upgrade will be a waste of time and can I do something at the airport to upgrade? Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
FWIW, I just upgraded yesterday from C to F IAH-FRA-AUH on both legs, five days out (leaving Sunday), cleared immediately. I then had a change of heart and decided to drop IAH-FRA back to C (it was 40K for IAH-FRA, 30K for FRA-AUH).
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SunchaserUSA
I have the same question as I have (2) LH "B" class tickets which I have been trying to upgrade everyday using my UAMP miles for departure on Sept 24, from MUC/LAX at 3:45 PM on LH # 452...A UAMP agent told me that there are seats still available in business class as confirmed when I check on some of the online ticket sites. Can someone check to see what the current status is for me and is there a time before the flight where calling for the upgrade will be a waste of time and can I do something at the airport to upgrade? Thanks
Unless you have UA-issued SWUs there is nothing you can do at the airport. If there are no reward seats available prior to 24 hours out then you won't be able to get the upgrade. Unfortunately you cannot use the ANA tool to see award inventory this close to departure so you really are at the whim of the UA reps or you'll want to try a 5-day trial of ExpertFlyer and watch the inventory for the next couple hours that way instead.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: UAMP
Originally Posted by sbm12
Unless you have UA-issued SWUs there is nothing you can do at the airport. If there are no reward seats available prior to 24 hours out then you won't be able to get the upgrade. Unfortunately you cannot use the ANA tool to see award inventory this close to departure so you really are at the whim of the UA reps or you'll want to try a 5-day trial of ExpertFlyer and watch the inventory for the next couple hours that way instead.
expert flyer shows that there are at least 9 B fare class seats available for my LH flight #452....guess I will just have to keep calling UAMP till I get to the airport...wish me luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.