Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why can't the most professional men and women in the industry do a service IAH-AUS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't the most professional men and women in the industry do a service IAH-AUS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Based out of Austin, 25% of my CO flight are from IAH-AUS. Almost all of my IAH-AUS flights are in the evening. It seems that in the last 2 years, some sort of meteorological anomaly has formed between Houston and Austin, causing "expected turbulence" on almost all of my IAH-AUS flights. This means that the most professional men and women in the industry do not perform a beverage service. Strangely enough, even though turbulence is always expected, in almost all cases, the flight is as smooth as glass. Even more strangely, there doesn't seem to be "expected turbulence" in the opposite direction (AUS-IAH).

A few years ago, CO flew a number of 757s between IAH and AUS, and it seemed as though the flight crew took pride in making sure that a beverage service was performed. No more. It is clear that the flight crew on these flights has decided that the IAH-AUS run is a good time to take a break.

FYI, I am referring to a beverage service in First so it isn't a large number of people.

The "most professional men and women in the industry" indeed...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:32 pm

This information needs to be sent to the correct people to address. While I find it interesting to read, I don't have the power to fix it. Send an email to CO.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Rah rah!

In all seriousness, the only time it's acceptable for this to happen would be when the captain tells the crew to stay seated. The crew should never decide independently to not do a service, unless there is actual, moderate turbulence.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Interesting, I don't think I ever remember them skipping the drinks in F. Now back in Y is a different story where it varies from full service ("please have your orders ready"), to water service (most common) to nothing ("turbulence").

Maybe it varies by time of day? Or day of the week?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I hear this about once a month during my weeklies, and I'm usually in F. Days and times going home vary. After we land in AUS, I gotta wonder what happened to all of the expected turbulence. Maybe AustinWeatherGuy can enlighten us on this incredible yet recurrent phenomenon. tk?

The one that I've always loved is, "Due to the short duration of this flight, there will be no beverage service. HOWEVER, if there is anything else that we can do to make your flight more enjoyable, just let us know."

Last edited by suzanneaustin; Sep 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
This happens occasionally, but infrequently between SAT and IAH. Even less so on WN between SAT and HOU. About half the time "expected turbulence" has resulted in a preemptive shutdown of beverage service on a CO flight I have flown on in the aforementioned market, the flight attendants have nonetheless managed to serve beverages in the first class cabin.

"Expected turbulence" precipitating no beverage service which results in an actual ride that is smooth is, indeed, very disappointing.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:59 pm

Time to put this into perspective.

Worst case scenario: 757-300, 192 in Y, 3 FA's in back. That's 64 PAX per FA.

Flight time is 30 min's +/-. Take a minimum of 8 mins off for t/o and 5 mins off for landing.

That leaves 17 minutes to serve 64 PAX per FA.

That's about 16 seconds per PAX to serve one drink each (some don't want anything and some ask for two).

Keep in mind we still have to set up and break down the bar cart, pick up all trash, make sure all PAX are in compliance with the landing requirements, secure the galleys and strap ourselves in (all FAA requirements).

All of this being said, I still prefer to do full service, but at times it can be a challenge and it's possible that we don't finish, or at best, have to take your drink away a couple minutes after giving it to you.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
"Expected turbulence" precipitating no beverage service which results in an actual ride that is smooth is, indeed, very disappointing.
Turbulence cannot be predicted (very accurately) only reported after the fact. If the last few flights reported turbulence, that's all we have to go by. It's entirely possible that the ride could clear up in the meantime but we have to err on the side of safety. Also an AUS flight is nothing but climb-out and descent which makes it even more of a challenge.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:34 am

I don't get it. It's about 25 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. I always thought it was rather silly that they even tried to do a drinks service on that flight. Let them take a break.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sidsub
I don't get it. It's about 25 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. I always thought it was rather silly that they even tried to do a drinks service on that flight. Let them take a break.
I've been on flights of a similar length on carriers outside the US where they managed to do a meal service.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
To pptp's comment, I was merely trying to point out that a few years ago, CO FAs literally ran through a large cabin making sure they did a drink service in Y, every flight, no matter what. To me, this demonstrated that there was a great deal of pride and dedication back then.

FYI, I'm talking about a beverage service in F, since that's where I usually sit on my IAH-AUS flights. The flights that I've seen this happen are the later flights in the evening, when it's the last flight of the night for the crews.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've been on flights of a similar length on carriers outside the US where they managed to do a meal service.
Non-US airlines often don't adhere to the same strict safety standards that we like to.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by pptp
Non-US airlines often don't adhere to the same strict safety standards that we like to.
True -- but I wouldn't put airlines like KLM and Lufthansa into that categry.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The flights that I've seen this happen are the later flights in the evening, when it's the last flight of the night for the crews.
Originally Posted by pptp
Maybe the crews are catching up on sleep.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
Rah rah!

In all seriousness, the only time it's acceptable for this to happen would be when the captain tells the crew to stay seated. The crew should never decide independently to not do a service, unless there is actual, moderate turbulence.

The behavior I've witnessed a handful of times is that the crew doesn't want to do it, so they ask the captain while on the ground to instruct them not to due to expected turbulence, which he or she usually does.

Just a bit of COllusion amongst two of most professional workgroups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.