Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OnePass Maximizer: Good With Reward Tix?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by cslovacek
I will admit, I've now bought the Maximizer miles twice in the last week. No, I did not buy the Elite Miles, but 500 RDM miles on two of my legs. No, I'm not in need of miles; I have 474,272 + today's flying sitting in my account. But you know, what the heck it was like $8 for the miles. So far, I've gained 1K miles by doing this. I wanted to try it out.
why not!^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by rkkwan
The whole thing just makes little sense.

I claimed award IAH-LAX-HNL-IAH. Now, I can pay $708 to get my original 7,852 miles and EQM back. But if need that miles, who don't I just buy that damn ticket and save myself 40K miles, and have a chance for the upgrade on the IAH-LAX-HNL segments?
I booked an award ticket CLE-LAS for 25K miles. The offer was $110 for 3650 miles (exactly what a purchased ticket would net in RDM's) to add the 3650 EQM's cost an additional $292.

You can just buy the R/T CLE-LAS for $279 a.i., collect the same 3650 rdm/eqm's and not burn the 25k miles.

I imagine with most routes the math wouldn't come out like this, but with CLE-LAS it makes no sense to redeem an award and then buy the miles!

slightly OT, there is a great deal with DL flying out of PIT. I just booked PIT-LAS... any R/T that is not to one of their hubs gets a 10K mile bonus. That's in addition to my 100% plat bonus. So my $240a.i. ticket nets over 19k miles... and its DOUBLE eqm's for Delta status.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:31 am

I just did this on my EWR-HNL flight. $318 for 9,924 miles. I couldn't really resist for that price.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Dont know who exciting this... You could buy 10K Miles for 350us...

Also i checked on a trip to SFO this week (from EWR) it would cost me 868 US to get double EQM... too much...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hmm.

If you used CO's very liberal routing rules and a Hawaii-South Asia award, might you be able to turn something like this:

HNL-NRT in ANA or UA F
NRT-BKK in UA F (dest)
BKK-HKG in EK F (stop)
HKG-DXB in EK F
DXB-ZRH in LX F
JFK-LAX in UA F (p.s.)
LAX-HNL in CO/UA F

into an EQM earning RTW award? You'd shell out a few thousand dollars and 85,000 CO miles, but it would be an awfully nice ride to pick up 20,000 EQM/RDM- and you might be able to plug in a couple of < 24 hour stopovers.

Of course, once the merger happens, UA's rules on MPM might apply, which would kill the, uh "creative" routings.

Or does CO watch for these kinds of routings out of Hawaii and nix them?

It does seem that there could be some potential use for OP Maximizer as a way to turn intercontinental premium class award travel into (heavily discounted) paid travel. You'd be using your miles to defray some of the cost of the ticket, and be getting the EQMs you would normally get.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:06 pm

I just got offered OP Maximizer on a regular ticket, paid-for, not awarded, EWR_LHR.

$202 will net me almost 7000 RDM (in addition for the 7k I'm earning anyway).
$404 for 14k RDM.

That's a little less than 3cpm. Wonder if I should?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Benjh
I currently have an international reward ticket booked and I am getting the offer:

15,000 RDM miles for $450
30,000 RDM miles for $900
Note - EQM’s are not offered on reward tickets

I don’t think 3 cents per mile is a real strong value. For a 25,000 domestic reward ticket you would be paying $750 with purchased miles. If you start to think long haul F or J rewards the value becomes a little more compelling.

So basically if you need some quick miles to get to the next reward or elite level I would agree purchasing is an appropriate strategy, otherwise I am passing on it.

FWIW USAir is currently selling miles for .01478 cents per, with a purchase limit of 100,000 miles.

SunLover

Last edited by SunLover; Oct 8, 2010 at 11:51 am Reason: spelling (of course)
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Benjh
I just got offered OP Maximizer on a regular ticket, paid-for, not awarded, EWR_LHR.

$202 will net me almost 7000 RDM (in addition for the 7k I'm earning anyway).
$404 for 14k RDM.

If you are in need of RDMs -- then I would think that is a good deal relative to buying from CO.com at 3.5cpm/RDM!

I think most people, here, are looking at whether it's worth purchasing the EQMs ('Elite Maximer'), on top of the RDMs, offered!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.