Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flying Continental for the first time - questions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Continental for the first time - questions...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Information according to seatguru.com......

777:

32F - 1" of extra legroom reported; however, an electronic box located underneath the seat ahead of you may be an impediment.

33A - Standard coach seat.

764:

26D - Standard coach seat.

27D - Standard coach seat.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LondonFlight
Is it too bad?
CO's Y cabin has very firm seats. Actually, firm is being nice. Very hard seats.

Best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with your chiropractor for when you return.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by channa
CO's Y cabin has very firm seats. Actually, firm is being nice. Very hard seats.

Best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with your chiropractor for when you return.
Your comments are quite subjective. I find the Y seats on CO's 777 and 764 aircraft to be no better or worse than other U.S. airlines offerings in intl. coach. Perhaps the OP should be allowed to form their own opinion.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Your comments are quite subjective.

Actually they're not. You can measure cushioning and softness/firmness. And if you did, you'll find my comments to be accurate.

Comfort is subjective. Firmness is not.

Last edited by channa; Sep 5, 2010 at 6:29 am
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Indeed, firmness is objective. The requirement for a chiropractor upon arrival, on the other hand....
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
My partner is *Gold with Bmi Diamond Club and was able to select seats in the front section of the Y cabin as soon as the OLCI was available (777 on the way out to EWR, 757 back to LHR). I don't know if the front cabin opens to every *A Gold member but the seats were there, up for grabs. No extra legroom, but I was told that the experience as a whole - attentive flight attendants, cleanliness, better catering, plus AVOD on the 777 - had made for a superior experience comparing to UA.

I am really looking forward to my first flights with CO. As for my Y seats... based on your replies and a little research I understand that there is no point in getting stressed about it:
LHR IAH - 32F
IAH GIG - 26D
GIG IAH - 27D
IAH LHR - 33A

Is it too bad?

Have a great Sunday everyone!
1. Anybody can pick any available seat (except extra-legroom ones) at OLCI.

2. I'll never sit in a regular window seat on a CO 777. Way too claustrophobic. In fact, I "volunteered" to trade my "A" seat with a middle "E" seat with someone on a IAH-LHR flight and couldn't be happier. Only window seats I'll get is row 32 or 44; or maybe 16.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Indeed, firmness is objective. The requirement for a chiropractor upon arrival, on the other hand....

Fair enough. It's possible the OP is young, and his back can withstand such torture without the need for medical assistance afterward.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: Many
No extra legroom, but I was told that the experience as a whole - attentive flight attendants, cleanliness, better catering, plus AVOD on the 777 - had made for a superior experience comparing to UA.
The only part of the above that is consistently better on COs 777s is AVOD. The rest can and will vary.

So it comes down to: Does AVOD trump more legroom (and much higher chance of free seat next to you)?

For some the answer will be yes; for me it is no.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Hi everyone,
I have now checked my booking to see if better seats would be available and was surprised to see the front of the Y section now open! I have even managed to grab exit row seats:

LHR IAH 777 seat 32C *
IAH GIG 764 seat 21D
GIG IAH 764 seat 17K
IAH GIG 777 seat 32J *

* Any comments about 32C and 32J on the 777? Too close to the toilet but worth it for the extra legroom? I would appreciate your feedback. As soon as the OLCI opens I will try row 16, if available...

I am really looking forward to this first experience with Continental and must report that my first contact with the airline via telephone was exceptional. I first called to ask how much it would cost to change the travel dates and the agent Paula could not have been more helpful. Yesterday I called again to try to move my partner (Bmi Diamond Club *Gold) to the front section and the agent Karen was so pleasant that we ended up chatting and actually having a laugh! What a difference comparing to UA's call centre in India...

Now I am wondering if my Mileage Plus miles would be accepted to upgrade at least the outbound flights from LHR to GIG via IAH... Booked in V... Shall call Continental again but I trust you expert flyertalkers know the answer...

THANK YOU!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Hi everyone,
I have now checked my booking to see if better seats would be available and was surprised to see the front of the Y section now open! I have even managed to grab exit row seats:

LHR IAH 777 seat 32C *
IAH GIG 764 seat 21D
GIG IAH 764 seat 17K
IAH GIG 777 seat 32J *

* Any comments about 32C and 32J on the 777? Too close to the toilet but worth it for the extra legroom? I would appreciate your feedback. As soon as the OLCI opens I will try row 16, if available...

Now I am wondering if my Mileage Plus miles would be accepted to upgrade at least the outbound flights from LHR to GIG via IAH... Booked in V... Shall call Continental again but I trust you expert flyertalkers know the answer...

THANK YOU!
Row 32 is really great on the 777's. I have done that a few times on long hauls. Sometimes people do stand in front of you while waiting for the lav.

Mileage plus miles cannot be used to upgrade a V class CO flight. You need a B/Y class ticket. Also, these upgrades (Star Alliance Upgrade Awards) cannot be requested in the 24 hours prior to departure. There is no waitlist for these upgrades as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.