Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Once again, I tried to use miles to upgrade the LAX-IAH portion of my flight to LFT today. I was waitlisted but the upgrade did not clear. So I wound up #1 on the F standby upgrade list yesterday following OLCI at 24 hours out as a Plat with a U fare.

Today, I note on CO.com that I'm still #1 on the upgrade list but that the #2 and #3 pax on yesterday's list have been upgraded and I have not. Perhaps they bought up for "tens of dollars"?

Any thoughts?
I would guess that these are elites on B or M fares and ZE inventory opened up so they probably noticed and got the upgrade processed. Since mileage/EUA (R) and B/M fares (ZE) come from different inventory buckets, one might open up and the other does not. Usually ZE will open a few hours before departure (around the time when CO opens up all fare buckets for SDC), even though R won't open up in this time frame. This definitely does not seem fair, but when you have two upgradeable buckets that aren't tied to each other, things like this happen.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Update: Even though I had completed OLCI 24 hours out, I went ahead checked in again via the electronic kiosk at LAX. The screen said there was one seat left in F and that I could upgrade for $173. I checked with the ticket agent and confirmed I was still #1 on the upgrade list. Rolling the dice, I declined the "buy up" approx. 90 minutes before departure. At the gate, I was told to take my seat in coach which I did.

Ten minutes before the aircraft door closed, I received a battlefield upgrade for the last seat in F on this flight to IAH. I was the only passenger to be upgraded in this manner.

I also rolled the dice again concerning this flight by checking a box packed with half a case of premium red wine as my second bag. The ticket agent was a bit doubtful about whether it would arrive intact in LFT. She plastered "fragile" stickers all over the box and then had me walk it over to the TSA baggage screening area down the hall (she took my first checked bag at the ticket counter). The TSA received it without comment and it arrived in LFT just fine.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Once again, I tried to use miles to upgrade the LAX-IAH portion of my flight to LFT today. I was waitlisted but the upgrade did not clear. So I wound up #1 on the F standby upgrade list yesterday following OLCI at 24 hours out as a Plat with a U fare.

Today, I note on CO.com that I'm still #1 on the upgrade list but that the #2 and #3 pax on yesterday's list have been upgraded and I have not. Perhaps they bought up for "tens of dollars"?

Any thoughts?
Remember - the upgrade standby list you can see is not the same as the wait list that you don't see.

#2 and #3 may have been Plats who also requested mileage upgrades earlier than you but on a lower fare class. The waitlist is processed by status then time of request. The standby list, which doesn't come into play unless F is fully booked and there are last-minute no-shows/misconnects, is prioritized by status then fare class then time of upgrade request.

Between this possible explanation or the B/M-Up into ZE inventory explanation, there probably wasn't any shenanigans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.