Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Any knowledge whether Golds and Silvers are also being offered the new discounted upgrades?

If the case, then a Silver for example could opt for the $29 upgrade and beat out higher level elites.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Is it possible that the "on sale" upgrades are just the normal non-buy-up upgrade with a new marketing spin.

"Hey look how much you're saving on this First Class ticket. Better buy now!"

Both times I've seen the "on sale" upgrades offered, I was on an award ticket and the FC cabin went out with empties.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:19 pm
ljs

Also platinum required to pay for upgrade

So I'm not the only one. I'm new to this board (or at least, it's been awhile) and I don't know all the lingo.

But my situation is similar. I had a direct San Antonio (SAT) to EWR flight, 5 of 12 seats upfront were available, I was not automatically upgraded, but offered the chance to upgrade for $129. I did. I figured that others would be offered this same deal, and so the likelihood of any upgrade would be low.

The thing is, I have no idea to whom this deal is being offered. Elites only? Are elites competing with non-elites? When I called to complain, I got the same "we're trying to make money" reply. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the lack of transparency (I know, lots of laughter at the naivete). She CO rep said that it could be that Platinums (or any elites) might even be getting lower prices. Absolutely no way to tell.

This surely will be chaotic if standard practice. Will we be going back to whoever logs on and checks in first will get the (chance at the) upgrades?

Certainly dilutes the value; I was considering chasing Platinum again (I'll be close), but it is unclear whether there will be any value in that. I mean, really unclear.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by cova
Any knowledge whether Golds and Silvers are also being offered the new discounted upgrades?

If the case, then a Silver for example could opt for the $29 upgrade and beat out higher level elites.
One example I saw yesterday was a gold and it showed both the B-Up difference as the "normal" fare-up and then the "on sale" number below at a significant discount.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Along these lines, not just with CO but UA also:

I booked my sister a EWR-ORD RT last week for later in September in a cheap cheap "T" fare, around 250.00 all in.

When booking, the return flight is a mainline flight and offered a IMMEDIATE upgrade to first class for the return for 150.00 WHEN BOOKING the ticket.

She isn't elite, and as a matter of fact, I just signed her up for a new MP account.

UA, CO and all airlines have the right to make $$$ and "sell" upgrades, but these kinds of upgrades are disingenuous at best to loyal frequent fliers that are given the perk of unlimited available upgrades.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the upgrade, but I can see several who would and that takes a upgrade away from a elite.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Interesting... I'm actually flying the same route on the same day. I purchased my ticket today and was given two options, either the M fare for roughly 780/RT or the Z fare of roughly 784/RT.

Scott
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I have no issue with penalty free fare class changes that put you in first sold by the segment of the trip. none at all. that is 100% legit, within the rules revenue. I have no issue with it being offered to elites.

I DO have a problem with the 'on sale' priced fareups that take away an upgrade for a measily $29 or even $99. Customer loyalty is getting to the point of really worth nothing to companies now.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Originally Posted by mht_flyer

I booked my sister a EWR-ORD RT last week for later in September in a cheap cheap "T" fare, around 250.00 all in.

When booking, the return flight is a mainline flight and offered a IMMEDIATE upgrade to first class for the return for 150.00 WHEN BOOKING the ticket.

She isn't elite, and as a matter of fact, I just signed her up for a new MP account.

UA, CO and all airlines have the right to make $$$ and "sell" upgrades, but these kinds of upgrades are disingenuous at best to loyal frequent fliers that are given the perk of unlimited available upgrades.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the upgrade, but I can see several who would and that takes a upgrade away from a elite.

https://store.united.com/traveloptio...id=UM_PRMCABIN

One-way upgrades start as low as
65.00 USD
I haven't seen CO advertising upgrades like this.... yet.....

Last edited by mht_flyer; Aug 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm Reason: addition
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by flyboy_421
Interesting... I'm actually flying the same route on the same day. I purchased my ticket today and was given two options, either the M fare for roughly 780/RT or the Z fare of roughly 784/RT.

Scott
Are you sure the Z fare was really a first class fare code? I looked to book a CLE-SEA RT through LAX and while I was able to get B fare upgrades for CLE to SEA, I was not able to get the upgrade for the LAX to CLE. However, when I asked for a first class fare from LAX to CLE, CO.com came back with a Z fare for about $10 more. However, when I went to look at the fare rules, the "Z" fare was really a BUP fare (an economy fare bucket). So I wonder if you are seeing a Z fare a some weird BUP fare. (BTW- I have never seen a BUP fare on CO before. Is this something new?).
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:01 pm

One more reason to fly CO - kettles can get upgraded to first for a minimal fee while hard core elites get passed over. I thought it was bad last week last week when my "on hold" ticket on AA got the upgraded before I bought it.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ljs
So I'm not the only one. I'm new to this board (or at least, it's been awhile) and I don't know all the lingo.

But my situation is similar. I had a direct San Antonio (SAT) to EWR flight, 5 of 12 seats upfront were available, I was not automatically upgraded, but offered the chance to upgrade for $129. I did. I figured that others would be offered this same deal, and so the likelihood of any upgrade would be low.

The thing is, I have no idea to whom this deal is being offered. Elites only? Are elites competing with non-elites? When I called to complain, I got the same "we're trying to make money" reply. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the lack of transparency (I know, lots of laughter at the naivete). She CO rep said that it could be that Platinums (or any elites) might even be getting lower prices. Absolutely no way to tell.

This surely will be chaotic if standard practice. Will we be going back to whoever logs on and checks in first will get the (chance at the) upgrades?

Certainly dilutes the value; I was considering chasing Platinum again (I'll be close), but it is unclear whether there will be any value in that. I mean, really unclear.
How this practice can be legal while CO continues to promote free unlimited upgrades is beyond me. They are effectively forcing us to buy the upgrade at the kiosk if we want one because the next Gold or Silver, or non-status pax will be able to buy it for a song. If this is an experience I will have frequently over the next few months, and IF my upgrade percentage drops below the already measly number it's at, I will take all my flying away from CO.

At least, CO should disclose the rules that govern the buy up program so that we have a fair chance to evaluate our upgrade bu-up purchases. Truly a disgrace and increasingly reminiscent of used car salesmanship.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Originally Posted by controller1
I agree. Currently, less than 48 hours to flight time and still waiting for EUA. It appears the only upgrade has been a Y/B/M up. Nine F seats remain and no Plats have received a EUA. It will be interesting tomorrow at OLCI to see what the "offers" are.
My EUA for SFO-IAH cleared at the platinum window. I don't think this is happening on ALL flights. Last week I had an EUA only clear 3 hours before boarding time on the same route. I only book fares H and lower.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I thought CO's policy on upgrades was very clear:

1) fare difference buy-ups would be offered to any customer, status or no status, and the cost would always be the difference between fare paid and the lowest available upgradable fare at the time of ticketing - YBM for Plats, YB for Gold/Silver, or the lowest F class fare for non status

2) segment fee buy-ups (the $29 nonsense) would be offered to any customer, but only if the number of available FC seats exceeds the number of upgrade-eligible customers on the flight who are still waiting for their upgrade to clear

Is the information in this thread indicating a change in the above policy or just a spin on the same policy delivered with poor marketing taste?

If it's the former, we need to escalate this.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by mht_flyer

Based on some recent discussion on the UA forum it is apparently normal for UA to undersell the F seats at the time of booking. And the folks there apparently do not mind. Strange, but true.
Originally Posted by radonc1
...However, when I went to look at the fare rules, the "Z" fare was really a BUP fare (an economy fare bucket). So I wonder if you are seeing a Z fare a some weird BUP fare. (BTW- I have never seen a BUP fare on CO before. Is this something new?).
Not very new, but reasonably so. Basically since shortly before the *A move CO has had the BCOUP*** fares in some markets.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Becoming An Epidemic

This rather new & ever changing pattern of

yanking the rug out by R/M & Marketing is

growing "dynamically" to use their own word

It is most likely to only get worse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.