Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Nearby Airports" fares - Massively Innaccurate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nearby Airports" fares - Massively Innaccurate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Thumbs down "Nearby Airports" fares - Massively Innaccurate

I've noticed this before, but today it is worse than ever.

I'm bringing my MIL over from the UK this fall; searching on continental.com for BRS-SAN I see fares of $537 = ~$700ai for late Sept/early Oct. Not bad, but not great.

"Nearly Airports" shows fares from $301; WOW, thinks I, and I click through and am presented with a matrix of airports, with some great fares - LHR-SAN for $301, BRS to LAX for $324, BRS to SNA for a shade more than that....and so on.

But all those fares are non-existent Not even close

In fact, searching around, I find that $700ai is absolutely the best deal available on any airline from any airport in the UK to SoCal in late September/Early October !

Anybosy else noticed this ?

Any theories as to why they seem to be just making up fares, and wasting their cutomers' time ?

Last edited by dgwright99; Aug 29, 2010 at 8:57 am
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Yes, I've noticed that for flights to TLV that the "nearby airports" can be off by as much as $700!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
IIRC, it is the fuel surcharge that is missing on the nearby airports when searching international routes.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
I think this is true everywhere. It is like the price suggested for nearby airports is the best price ever seen going there. It feels like they don't consider the specific dates you want to go, or that certain fare buckets are not being offered / are full.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by trm2
IIRC, it is the fuel surcharge that is missing on the nearby airports when searching international routes.

Sounds like something worth reporting to the DOT. The DOT does not take this sort of thing lightly and has fined other carriers for not including fuel surcharges in displayed fares.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trm2
That does sound plausible; I just checked BRS-LAX, and OtheNearby Airports shows BRS-SAN at $324. Which means that the fuel surcharge would be $213 !

However, it does seem odd that even in the Nearby Airports matrix the original route includes the surcharge (if that is indeed the cause), but the alternatives doen't.

Originally Posted by channa
Sounds like something worth reporting to the DOT. The DOT does not take this sort of thing lightly and has fined other carriers for not including fuel surcharges in displayed fares.
They never actually offer the fare as such - they just show a table of options, so I can't see what DOT interest would be.

And I'm not somebody who goes crying to teacher about this kind of thing in any case.

Last edited by dgwright99; Aug 29, 2010 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgwright99
They never actually offer the fare as such - they just show a table of options, so I can't see what DOT interest would be.

And I'm not somebody who goes crying to teacher about this kind of thing in any case.

That's for the DOT to decide. If they say its $301, then you click and it's $525 + taxes, that's false advertising. Someone may have left the site had they seen the accurate price, but now they're still hanging around.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: CO Gold
irrespective of any CO.com problems I would say that $700 / £500 inc tax from a UK regional airport to SoCal is a decent price.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
irrespective of any CO.com problems I would say that $700 / £500 inc tax from a UK regional airport to SoCal is a decent price.
It's OK. I fly them over a couple of times per year, and I've often been able to get ~$600ai. Which may explain why CO is apparently killing the route from November.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
UA and CO are advertising prices without the fuel surcharge. I saw that while doing an flight search on travelocity.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:41 pm

That's exactly why the DOT would be interested in it. If they actually offered the fare there would be no issue.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
That does sound plausible; I just checked BRS-LAX, and OtheNearby Airports shows BRS-SAN at $324. Which means that the fuel surcharge would be $213 !

However, it does seem odd that even in the Nearby Airports matrix the original route includes the surcharge (if that is indeed the cause), but the alternatives doen't.

I think channa would report his own mother to the DOT if he could..lol @:-)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I think channa would report his own mother to the DOT if he could..lol @:-)

If she treated me the way CO treats me, of course I would!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.