Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

USA Today "Can United Make Everyone Happy With Post-Merger Brand?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p.../1?csp=TravelC
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Avis Preferred Select
interesting... i saw that posted on the united board yesterday where they are trying to get the tulip to stay post merger.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah...there are a couple FTers who are trying to stir the pot and insisting that the logo actually matters more than the many, many millions of dollars difference that will come from not fully repainting all the CO planes that are already in a single livery.

Some similar discussion in the UA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-campaign.html.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's a give-and-take... CO loses its name, UA loses it's tulip. I don't think its a terrible tradeoff.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
It's a give-and-take... CO loses its name, UA loses it's tulip. I don't think its a terrible tradeoff.
United will be de-flowered
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:43 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by marshall200
Oh my.

Branding issues aside, it would be nice if they could paint one jet in retro UA colors as nod to their history.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Branding issues aside, it would be nice if they could paint one jet in retro UA colors as nod to their history.
Agreed. A couple retrojets is a cool thing to do. And there are plenty in the two carriers' history that could be worth seeing flying around.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:57 am
Suspended

CO/UA Merger

It will ONLY work if they do not do what DL did--waited too long to merge, or do away with, one of the web sites.
@:-)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yeah...there are a couple FTers who are trying to stir the pot and insisting that the logo actually matters more than the many, many millions of dollars difference that will come from not fully repainting all the CO planes that are already in a single livery.

Some similar discussion in the UA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-campaign.html.
They think the brick loves them. So sad.

Their blind allegiance to an ugly logo is clouding the real issue, and that is such: every penny spent on paint and rebranding will come back to New UA dressed up like a nickel thanks in no small part to the CO braintrust getting rid of the dysfunctional UA brand in its current form. The UA brand used to stand for something, but no longer.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
They think the brick loves them. So sad.

Their blind allegiance to an ugly logo is clouding the real issue, and that is such: every penny spent on paint and rebranding will come back to New UA dressed up like a nickel thanks in no small part to the CO braintrust getting rid of the dysfunctional UA brand in its current form. The UA brand used to stand for something, but no longer.
I never knew it was stupid tulip until the merger when they all started whining about it. I always thought it was a funny looking U for United. I am not alone; I've discussed with many others who had no idea it was a tulip.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Not Alone

They have ALL been deflowered many years ago
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Fly United

Originally Posted by gawhite411
I never knew it was stupid tulip until the merger when they all started whining about it. I always thought it was a funny looking U for United. I am not alone; I've discussed with many others who had no idea it was a tulip.

Years ago there was a humerous cartoon graphic tail logo

showing 2 flying geese mating captioned "Fly United"

Better than the tulip
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Thankfully, there is a support group for people distressed about livery changes.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:58 pm

Funny.

I have been saying that soon "The Globe will be eclipsing the Tulip".
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The tulip logo implies - United - like in United States - a domestic airline.

The globe logo implies - United - like in uniting the world together with a global route structure.

The CO globe logo will prevail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.