Reward Tickets Saver Pass economy

Old Aug 14, 10, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Reward Tickets Saver Pass economy

Anyone know what the deal is with very few saverpass economy seats showing up for rewards now? I remeber last few years you look at a flight 6+ months in advance and they were there. Now any flight I check no matter how far in advance they are only show the next one up which requires 25,000 miles each way. I used to be able to use 12,500 each way.

The main airport I depart from is EWR, and i'm checking destinations such as LAS, SJO, POP, SFO. I can fly partners if I connect but in order to fly continential I must us 25K miles each way. Basic dates checking 4/17/10 - 4/20/10. Also checked further out as far as the calendar lets me and nothing.

Something is telling me they don't want customers getting the lesser mileage seats anymore.

Can someone please advise me on what to do. I want to get the most out of my mileage but don't want to loose out.
Old Aug 14, 10, 8:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Obviously you haven't been trying to use Delta miles in the past year or two. They are the absolute worst.

I have been checking both DL and CO for various flights I need. CO and their partners hands down have way better availability for the Saver award level. Just absolutely no comparison. I guess it all depends on perspective but I am looking forward to booking more CO award tickets compared to what I have found on DL.
Old Aug 14, 10, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're looking at the weekend prior to Easter. I'd be quite surprised to see lots of Saver level awards available, especially to the LatAm destinations.
Old Aug 15, 10, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Saver Miles

I have been checking for saver miles tickets to Rio for Xmas for months. I finally figured out there was no chance and got the easy pass ticket.
Old Dec 12, 10, 12:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Bringing up an old thread, I too have noticed that saverpass economy seats even with PLT status is non-existent for flights to LAS, PDX..etc. for April-July....leaving any thurs-sat and returning fri-tues. I switched from AA to CO as AA was having too many mechancials to make them a reliable choice, but as they take on newer aircraft with better award availability, I am reconsidering going back considering I can actually "use" the frequent flyer program.

I am asking why CO is being so stingy when this would be a great chance for them to show their flyers that things will be ok following the merger. With all the changes that Jeff said I am going to like I haven't seen a single one. Maybe i should keep repeating Jeff like Channa used to do "You'll see a number of changes....and I think you'll like them" until Jeff actually changes something we all like.

Last edited by Halo117; Dec 12, 10 at 12:52 am
Old Dec 12, 10, 6:26 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by giacona View Post
Something is telling me they don't want customers getting the lesser mileage seats anymore.
I think that something is telling you right...
Old Dec 12, 10, 6:28 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by leiserom View Post
I have been checking for saver miles tickets to Rio for Xmas for months. I finally figured out there was no chance and got the easy pass ticket.
I last week got three saverpass awards to fly to europe over christmas. As a matter of principle i will not get use miles on an easypass award.
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I need to know what to do here.

I am going from ewr to las from 4-17 - 4-20. Sun-Wed. I am only willing to use economy/saverpass miles otherwise i'll purchase the flight and use miles for another trip.

Currently only available are easypass 25K each way. I know once I get closer to my departure date they will release some saverpass. Should I take the risk and wait it out until it gets closer to april, or pay for the flight and forget it? What are the chances of saverpass not being available at all?
Old Dec 12, 10, 4:43 pm

It is impossible for anyone here to say with authority that you will definitely find award seats at the saver level at any point in the future. If you are depending on that sort of assurance to decide whether to pay or redeem then expect that they won't appear.
Old Dec 12, 10, 5:48 pm

Assuming that CO and other airlines give about the same amount of saver and standard awards for each flight as they did 5+ years ago - there are probably 1000's upon 1000's of new Onepass + other FF mile account holders based solely on the dozens of credit cards that can earn miles that did not exist before.

Simply put, this means there are the same amount of awards for probably double the amount of account holders looking for that same award.

Sad but true.. and I feel your pain too at times.
Old Dec 12, 10, 7:23 pm

Or just book the connecting itinerary (via DFW outbound is available today) and wait list for the non-stop flight. There are a couple returns on non-stops available now (though maybe elite only). There are other connecting itineraries via DEN, IAH and LAX also on the return.

Search this Thread