Flying with a bike

Old Aug 13, 10, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Flying with a bike

Yesterday I flew from TXL to EWR. I had a bike I purchased in Finland with me.

The pedals were removed and the handlebars were turned sideways. In addition, it was a folding bike, so it was relatively compact.

However, they refused to accept it without any packaging.

The courtesy bags/boxes that are supposedly available at most ticketing offices were of course not available because Tegel "isn't a large enough airport."

Based on what I read on the website, it seemed to me that it didn't have to be packed in a case, just that Continental wasn't liable for any damage if it wasn't. The same was true when I took it HEL-ARN-TXL a week earlier on Blue1/SAS.

Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or

* All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
* Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
* Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.
I had the page open in both English and German on my phone and showed them this, but they didn't seem willing to listen. They also supposedly made a call to someone who said they wouldn't take it, but couldn't/wouldn't give me the name of the person.

Luckily I have friends in Berlin and was able to leave my bike at the luggage storage and mail the receipt to pick it to one of them, but still, I'll have to wait who knows how long before I can finally bring it home. It's already been a while since I was able to get it from my friend in Finland who has been storing it for a few months.

So, my question.. Is the information on the site outdated, did I misread it, or did the people at the check-in make an error?

Hopefully this makes some sense.. I haven't been using my English lately. That, the jetlag, and still being a bit miffed about this and the apple juice that got spilled on me isn't the greatest combination. -.-
Old Aug 13, 10, 3:52 pm

Don't folding bikes normally come with a carry-bag? Personally I would have bought some type of cheap disposable bag to put the bike into to protect it from rough handling in transit.
Old Aug 14, 10, 3:23 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I travel with a Bike to races... this is what I experienced...

Bikes must be in a case or padded (foam then sealed up), handle bars are removed or turned sideways, pedals removed even if in a travel case. CO is not liable if you do not do that. The bars and pedals can bust through the cases and damage other bags.

You either wrap it in pad or you box you. Either or... not bare bike...

It is not that you need to check in a bike, remove the handle bar and the pedals and you are good to go. The bike can still damage other bags unless it is packed or boxed..

Now to give you an example I was coming back from Asia with like a big WOK (metal pot) and I could check that as luggage if I padded around the lip with foam and then taped that up so that it would not damage the aircraft or the other bags.

On top of this.. from my understanding, it's the acting manager's call (along with security) to accept or deny items. It's their call no matter what it really says on line. On line are guidelines from my understanding.

Do I personally think CO was wrong to deny your bike when it was not boxed / padded / cased... Nope i think they were right.
Old Aug 14, 10, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
Don't folding bikes normally come with a carry-bag? Personally I would have bought some type of cheap disposable bag to put the bike into to protect it from rough handling in transit.
Maybe new ones, but this is a retro bike from the 1970s I was planning to restore.

Originally Posted by KosraeTV View Post
I travel with a Bike to races... this is what I experienced...

Bikes must be in a case or padded (foam then sealed up), handle bars are removed or turned sideways, pedals removed even if in a travel case. CO is not liable if you do not do that. The bars and pedals can bust through the cases and damage other bags.

You either wrap it in pad or you box you. Either or... not bare bike...

It is not that you need to check in a bike, remove the handle bar and the pedals and you are good to go. The bike can still damage other bags unless it is packed or boxed..

Do I personally think CO was wrong to deny your bike when it was not boxed / padded / cased... Nope i think they were right.
From what I've seen, wheel chairs and baby strollers don't require any special packaging. When folded, the bike was no larger than a collapsed wheel chair.

Could be true with the manager's decision. Still frustrating that it alludes in two places on the website (in both English and German) that bikes can be transported without packaging as long as some conditions are met. Then to find out no, and the boxes that are supposedly available at most locations aren't.

Guess I might reach platinum again for next year if I go back to get it.
Old Aug 14, 10, 5:21 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni View Post
From what I've seen, wheel chairs and baby strollers don't require any special packaging. When folded, the bike was no larger than a collapsed wheel chair.
Agree but those are gate check usually or medical. The Disabilities Laws and such would be up in arms. I am not sure of most configurations of air crafts but i understood that there are special areas for wheelchairs and strollers etc...

Search this Thread