Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1st Anniversary - EWR to an Island - Need Ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold

Celebrating my first annivesary in early December and my wife and I were thinking about going to an Caribbean Island for the weekend. Since its just a weekend trip and are traveling from EWR, we are trying find the right destination based on flight time. Anyone have any recommendations based on CO's direct flights out of EWR. We know we can always just pick SJU or NAS, but were wondering if anyone had any good ideas. Also, if you have any resorts to check out, would love that as well.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Costa Rica. I direct flight to San Jose will run you around $350. Then you can head towards the beach. Some beautiful resorts in CR. Los Suenos Marriott. JW Marriott. Tons to do there from just relaxing at a resort to visiting the rainforest and the active volcano!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Continental Gold, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Gold
Costa Rica is not an island.

St. Thomas if you don't have a passport.

Aruba if you do.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Curacao was awesome, and it is a very easy upgrade. I scored companion upgrades on both outbound and return.

If you like snorkeling, the snorkeling there was as good as Hawaii.

Aguadilla is also off the beaten path, and Rincon is really nice too. Also an easy upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
GCM is very nice, and it's not as far as some of the other islands.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BDA is nice, too, if you're willing to deal with the costs once you get there. It is a quick flight (closer than NAS) but gets very pricey once you're on the ground.

I don't think CUR service is daily (though it may be) so that may kill the weekend trip option.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by sbm12
BDA is nice, too, if you're willing to deal with the costs once you get there. It is a quick flight (closer than NAS) but gets very pricey once you're on the ground.

I don't think CUR service is daily (though it may be) so that may kill the weekend trip option.
Yes, you are right. CUR service is once a week. Nevermind that. Won't Bermuda be cold in Nov/Dec?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by kennynbabes
Costa Rica is not an island.

St. Thomas if you don't have a passport.

Aruba if you do.
not an island but it has beautiful beaches(Pacific and Caribbean). i think thats close enough.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by halpie97
Celebrating my first annivesary in early December and my wife and I were thinking about going to an Caribbean Island for the weekend.
It could be absolutely spectacular and free but the OP specifically requested an island.

Cancun and Florida are also warm and have beaches, neither are an island.

If they wanted to go to Europe I wouldn't suggest Cairo even though it is steeped in History and has interesting architecture.

BDA is beautiful AND pricey, it is also situated at the same latitude as Charleston South Carolina.

My wife and I went in March, it was cooler than similar vacations in the Bahamas. Not sure how that would translate to Early December, but doubt it will be as warm as most other Carribean options.

We are going to St. Thomas at the end of November.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:13 am

It could be absolutely spectacular and free but the OP specifically requested an island.

Cancun and Florida are also warm and have beaches, neither are an island.

If they wanted to go to Europe I wouldn't suggest Cairo even though it is steeped in History and has interesting architecture.
Hey settle down. Just throwing out an alternate suggestion. The OP may have written Island and really just meant a place that's warm with beaches.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by njxbean
Hey settle down. Just throwing out an alternate suggestion. The OP may have written Island and really just meant a place that's warm with beaches.
how very condescending of you...to me and the OP.

like they can't tell the difference between a land mass completely surrounded by water...and warm with a beach.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:25 am

Puerto Rico

SJU: It's cheap, easy, with frequent flights, and easy upgrades.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:37 am

how very condescending of you...to me and the OP.

like they can't tell the difference between a land mass completely surrounded by water...and warm with a beach.
lol. Relax! Just thinking outside the box, that's all. I think you are taking things a little too far.

Some good suggestions so far in this thread by the way. I am plotting a vacation for December to some place warm as well so this is very helpful.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
SXM was great last year when we went. Some of the best food in the Caribbean.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you want Mexico CUN isn't an island but CZM is, I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.