Will CO Match New DL Upgrade Policies?

Old Aug 12, 10, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Will CO Match New DL Upgrade Policies?

*Upgrades on reward tickets for Gold Elite and higher.
*Companion upgrades clear at the 24-hour mark and can be requested at booking.

-Does anyone think CO will match this?
Old Aug 12, 10, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post

Jan 1, CO starts elite reward upgrades for those with the CO CC.

See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-benefits.html

NW had reward upgrades and advance companion on same record at same time as elite member. So this is an improvement for DL (former NW) flyers - but not as good as NW had before.

No I do not see CO matching.

Last edited by cova; Aug 12, 10 at 7:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 12, 10, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Keep in mind too that award ticket upgrades are treated just like revenue upgrades on Delta now - a Platinum an award clears before a Gold on a B fare. Good news for higher elites (esp. top tier Diamonds), but the news is more muted for Golds and especially Silvers.
Old Aug 12, 10, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Looks to me that if one is a gold or silver elite on DL they can pretty much kiss upgrades goodbye, especially on routes with heavy reward redemption. As someone who doesn't really have a shot at reaching a higher level than gold (not enough Int'l trips), I think that this change will make me more loyal to CO/UA in the future.
Old Aug 12, 10, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ctroadwarrior View Post
I think that this change will make me more loyal to CO/UA in the future.

But UA allows companion upgrades at the upgrade window. You would think there's an impact there as well, no?
Old Aug 12, 10, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Plus most people at the high tiers save their miles for big international trips in J - and likely do not book domestic coach rewards. They may have a connecting domestic segment - which would be booked in F.
Old Aug 12, 10, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Plus most people at the high tiers save their miles for big international trips in J - and likely do not book domestic coach rewards. They may have a connecting domestic segment - which would be booked in F.
I'm not sure I agree with this generalization. Many FTers do this, but many, many people book EasyPass coach and stuff that we would roll our eyes at.
Old Aug 12, 10, 11:33 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I agree, I think most of us on FT prefer to use our miles for intl trips and C/J upgrades. Two-thirds of those I work with like using their miles for domestic hops to leisure destinations and Domestic-F upgrades.
Old Aug 13, 10, 2:45 am

Programs: CO/UA, AA, B6, SPG (general member on all)
As someone who worked at a company with heavy travel (lots of Platinums, GSs, etc.) and just joined the FT community (and quickly thereby learning the true value of FF miles when used effectively), I am certain that channa is correct. Lots of people with tons of miles--including top-level elites-- don't save them for international J/F trips but instead use them on EasyPass domestic awards (even though the value is often less than $0.01/mi when compared to the lowest fare).
Old Aug 13, 10, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post

No.
Old Aug 13, 10, 8:18 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by cova View Post
I work in a travel heavy co-and have recently heard of people taking vacation from EWR-FLL, EWR-CLT and EWR-ORD on easy pass rewards.

I think some of the reason they used SLeasypass was because they just went to the website, put in 3,4,or5 members, and SLeasypass came up. I asked why they didnt try 1 or 2 at lower rates, and all 3 of my coworkers said "its too much work-who cares"!!!

I guess some people really just use their miles as they have them, and dont worry about redemption values.
Old Aug 13, 10, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA Gold/1MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
Keep in mind too that award ticket upgrades are treated just like revenue upgrades on Delta now - a Platinum an award clears before a Gold on a B fare. Good news for higher elites (esp. top tier Diamonds), but the news is more muted for Golds and especially Silvers.
this is a great point as this was a change (improvement for top tier medallions) from how it was initially proposed

Search this Thread