FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Will CO Match New DL Upgrade Policies? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1115698-will-co-match-new-dl-upgrade-policies.html)

goldelite8 Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Will CO Match New DL Upgrade Policies?

*Upgrades on reward tickets for Gold Elite and higher.
*Companion upgrades clear at the 24-hour mark and can be requested at booking.

-Does anyone think CO will match this?

cova Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by goldelite8 (Post 14471010)

Jan 1, CO starts elite reward upgrades for those with the CO CC.

See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-benefits.html

NW had reward upgrades and advance companion on same record at same time as elite member. So this is an improvement for DL (former NW) flyers - but not as good as NW had before.

No I do not see CO matching.

mersk862 Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Keep in mind too that award ticket upgrades are treated just like revenue upgrades on Delta now - a Platinum an award clears before a Gold on a B fare. Good news for higher elites (esp. top tier Diamonds), but the news is more muted for Golds and especially Silvers.

ctroadwarrior Aug 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Looks to me that if one is a gold or silver elite on DL they can pretty much kiss upgrades goodbye, especially on routes with heavy reward redemption. As someone who doesn't really have a shot at reaching a higher level than gold (not enough Int'l trips), I think that this change will make me more loyal to CO/UA in the future.

channa Aug 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctroadwarrior (Post 14472319)
I think that this change will make me more loyal to CO/UA in the future.

But UA allows companion upgrades at the upgrade window. You would think there's an impact there as well, no?

cova Aug 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Plus most people at the high tiers save their miles for big international trips in J - and likely do not book domestic coach rewards. They may have a connecting domestic segment - which would be booked in F.

channa Aug 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 14472663)
Plus most people at the high tiers save their miles for big international trips in J - and likely do not book domestic coach rewards. They may have a connecting domestic segment - which would be booked in F.

I'm not sure I agree with this generalization. Many FTers do this, but many, many people book EasyPass coach and stuff that we would roll our eyes at.

ande777emt Aug 12, 2010 10:33 pm

I agree, I think most of us on FT prefer to use our miles for intl trips and C/J upgrades. Two-thirds of those I work with like using their miles for domestic hops to leisure destinations and Domestic-F upgrades.

airjerz Aug 13, 2010 1:45 am

As someone who worked at a company with heavy travel (lots of Platinums, GSs, etc.) and just joined the FT community (and quickly thereby learning the true value of FF miles when used effectively), I am certain that channa is correct. Lots of people with tons of miles--including top-level elites-- don't save them for international J/F trips but instead use them on EasyPass domestic awards (even though the value is often less than $0.01/mi when compared to the lowest fare).

gawhite411 Aug 13, 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by goldelite8 (Post 14471010)

No.

PhillyPhlyer40 Aug 13, 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 14472663)

I work in a travel heavy co-and have recently heard of people taking vacation from EWR-FLL, EWR-CLT and EWR-ORD on easy pass rewards.

I think some of the reason they used SLeasypass was because they just went to the website, put in 3,4,or5 members, and SLeasypass came up. I asked why they didnt try 1 or 2 at lower rates, and all 3 of my coworkers said "its too much work-who cares"!!!

I guess some people really just use their miles as they have them, and dont worry about redemption values.

TechMarauder Aug 13, 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 14471109)
Keep in mind too that award ticket upgrades are treated just like revenue upgrades on Delta now - a Platinum an award clears before a Gold on a B fare. Good news for higher elites (esp. top tier Diamonds), but the news is more muted for Golds and especially Silvers.

this is a great point as this was a change (improvement for top tier medallions) from how it was initially proposed