Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any way to transfer OP miles out of program so they don't become MP miles?

Any way to transfer OP miles out of program so they don't become MP miles?

Old Aug 15, 10, 2:42 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
. . . but DL screwed NW WP members to the wall! And AF screwed both KL Flying Dutchman and AF Frequence Plus members to the wall when they merged them to create Flying Blue, and there has been a second round of hosing since.
Alarmist claptrap. UA and CO have announced they will merge FF accounts. That said, this doesn't mean there won't be a hosing, as you so elegantly put it. Expect more and more miles to buy less and less.
Old Aug 15, 10, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by manneca View Post
I have three post graduate degrees and an IQ that would make most Mensa members envious \.
And humble to boot.
Old Aug 17, 10, 2:34 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
. . . but DL screwed NW WP members to the wall! And AF screwed both KL Flying Dutchman and AF Frequence Plus members to the wall when they merged them to create Flying Blue, and there has been a second round of hosing since.
But difference is, SkyMiles was pretty crappy already pre-merger. Post-merger it definitely is a really crappy FF program with a semi-decent airline, "ruining" a great FF program that came with a crappy airline (NW).

While UA MP and CO OP are both pretty decent FF programs on pretty decent airlines separately. Since the merger-flirt a couple years back, followed by the CO *A accession and UA BFFing, the FF programs of each has gotten better in varied ways: 1-way awards (UA), improved availability over the "NonePass" days (CO), better transparency into partner award availability (CO and to a limited CO/US only state, UA). UA implementing UDU, CO implementing ELR (no change in hard product but a similar-to-E+ approach).

Given that both programs have been making things better rather than cheapening, I'm hopeful that "OnePass Plus" won't become a "best of both" piece of garbage like SkyPesos.

I do think there's a chance we'll end up with Starnet blocking. But maybe not with Jeff running things. Anyhow that's a lot better for you than the European Origination Fee nonsense from DL. With the A++ TATL JV (UA/CO/AC/LH), TATL and connecting seems to have gotten better on UA award availability than on the darkest days a few years ago.
Old Aug 17, 10, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
Sounds like we have a volunteer for the electric shock/groin-punch self-boarding system...

EDIT: Just realized that the OP managed to (mis)quote both William Shakespeare and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in the same breath.

<golf clap> BRAVO, sir. I salute you. </golf clap>
As OP, thanks to those who responded with real answers. YHPM. (The reasons for keeping multiple accounts are better not bared on the FlyerTalk boards -- but shouldn't be difficult to figure out.) My original question was just to see if there were options of commensurate value.

And I misquoted both Shakespeare and Forrest Gump...

Thanks again for the answers.
Old Nov 4, 10, 11:07 am

I am curious about the time line - I am approaching 18 Months of downsizing so keeping activity posting to three programs while not traveling at all is a challenge

Keeping my MP points alive through the dining program - Used to use the Safeway/Vons Grocery promotion to keep them from expiring Expire 04/2012

None Pass is ambiguous about there account closed/no activity clause

Last redemption 03/2010 At this Point Expiration 09/2012 18 Months from 03/10

About 60 % of the way to a deposit through e-miles, but the opportunities are rarer due to a lack of actual click throughs

My other debit card was registered to Hilton Dinning Miles, but the provider is switching to Discover which will make it worthless for accruing dinning credit

Last edited by FC_Dave; Nov 4, 10 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 4, 10, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
In all fairness though, DL was already hosing their own FF's, and the merger just brought NW's program down with it.

Even a worst-of-both combination of OP/MP would be much better than Skypiles.

I think there's also a culture difference - UA has just spent a few years really trying to turn around the airline, and CO has always seemed to take more of a quality-over-price stance. And even DL seems to have realized they went overboard with fees/cuts; I doubt CO/UA are itching to repeat DL's mistake.
Old Nov 5, 10, 12:13 am

Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Originally Posted by MJLouise View Post
You can transfer CO miles to Amtrak Guest Rewards points at 1:1... If you live in Boston, Acela trips are also an option.
Or Northeast Corridor one-ways (valid as far as Norfolk and Niagara Falls) for 3000 points apiece.
Old Nov 5, 10, 4:26 am
RNE

I was a little surprised to notice a miles expiration date on UA.com; hadn't really paid much attention to it, and being a CO flyer why would I? Anyway, I anticipate Jeff Baby will abandon UA's draconian expiration abomination and adopt the kinder gentler CO model on this one. That is, no expiration date.
Old Nov 5, 10, 6:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Anyway, I anticipate Jeff Baby will abandon UA's draconian expiration abomination and adopt the kinder gentler CO model on this one. That is, no expiration date.
I doubt that. Jeff, will love seeing that liability systematically leave the balance sheet. And since that will only impact those who are not currently flying or earning miles, it will be viewed as not impacting customers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: