FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   FCO Showers, Timing, Shuttle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1114461-fco-showers-timing-shuttle.html)

hhmorgan Aug 9, 2010 11:30 am

FCO Showers, Timing, Shuttle

Ok - did the thread search and got partial info from 2008 and ijgordon's response about setting up from my post in that thread.

Trouble is it doesn't answer all my question - so I'm posting a new thread.

Traveling EWR - FCO BF with SO on 13/14 August. Will arrive FCO approx 7:50am. I would like to get a shower for the misses and I upon landing via BF Conceirge (which I'll probably just go to the EWR International Desk in the PC).

I need to know at FCO are they still directing showers to the Hilton?

If so, How do you get from FCO terminal to the Hilton following baggage/customs. How long to allow for disembark, customs, Hilton and back to terminal to allow booking a shuttle transfer from FCO to our hotel in Rome?

Maybe some of you FF have done this lately at FCO!^

SS255 Aug 9, 2010 1:13 pm

I assume the Hilton is still being used. You can walk to the Hilton from the terminal. It's about a 10-minute walk, but you should budget in some extra time for getting your bearings. Disembarking and customs did not take me long at all. Unfortunately, at that hour of the morning, the Hilton gives priority to the few available rooms to guests who are actually checking in. I had to wait about an hour (i.e. in 10-minute increments with a lot of apologies from the desk staff), at which point I could not wait any longer, so I never got my shower.

Make sure you tell the BF concierge in both EWR and upon arrival in FCO that you want to make arrangements for a shower.

hhmorgan Aug 9, 2010 2:18 pm

FCO Terminals

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 14449620)
I assume the Hilton is still being used. You can walk to the Hilton from the terminal. It's about a 10-minute walk, but you should budget in some extra time for getting your bearings. Disembarking and customs did not take me long at all. Unfortunately, at that hour of the morning, the Hilton gives priority to the few available rooms to guests who are actually checking in. I had to wait about an hour (i.e. in 10-minute increments with a lot of apologies from the desk staff), at which point I could not wait any longer, so I never got my shower.

Make sure you tell the BF concierge in both EWR and upon arrival in FCO that you want to make arrangements for a shower.

Thanks for the input. I waited on the telphone with Elite Services for 25 minutes as the agent first told me there were no shower facilities since no President's Club. When I insisted that BF has shower amenity in Rome (FCO) she checked further. Her info was to notify FCO Continental BF Conceirge on arrival via Terminal 3 D5.

All the current arrival info for CO40 says Terminal 5 for arrival and departures, so I'm not sure how Terminal 3 comes into this picture. Any insight to the actual arrival/departure terminals for FCO would be appreciated.

She did confirm it was still the Hilton Rome Airport location.

It is a walkable journey with bags? No Hilton transport available?

Thanks for the help

hockey7711 Aug 9, 2010 5:44 pm

They need to give you a coupon upon arrival at FCO which you bring to the Hilton.
The checkin staff at the hotel is very slow, and the lobby is super-heated and although very modern, it's very uncomfortable. If you are lucky, it won't take too long.

They also have a free shuttle bus to the city.

You can use the walkways to get to the hotel. Although you may come into terminal 5, the actual customs is in the main building terminal 3, which has the walkways attached.

If you are going to take the leonard express into Rome you just need to take the walkways back to the terminal, then go downstairs.

walkerci Aug 9, 2010 5:50 pm

If you have a hotel in Rome, why even bother with a post-flight shower?:confused:

Just go directly to your hotel and shower there. It is so much easier that way, especially if you have a "high maintenance" SO.:eek:

ijgordon Aug 10, 2010 9:42 am

Originally Posted by walkerci (Post 14451279)
If you have a hotel in Rome, why even bother with a post-flight shower?:confused:

Just go directly to your hotel and shower there. It is so much easier that way, especially if you have a "high maintenance" SO.:eek:

I agree, most high quality hotels should also be able to at least arrange for a shower upon arrival (e.g., fitness center) if they can't check you into your room.

I used the Hilton facility because I was taking the train direct up to Florence upon my arrival. Also, if you're heading straight to a business meeting, a shower upon arrival can be useful.

As mentioned, the Hilton is about a 10 minute walk from the terminals, down some long enclosed walkways, some with (working) moving sidewalks. I don't know if there's a shuttle to/from the terminals.

hhmorgan Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 14454930)
I agree, most high quality hotels should also be able to at least arrange for a shower upon arrival (e.g., fitness center) if they can't check you into your room.

I used the Hilton facility because I was taking the train direct up to Florence upon my arrival. Also, if you're heading straight to a business meeting, a shower upon arrival can be useful.

As mentioned, the Hilton is about a 10 minute walk from the terminals, down some long enclosed walkways, some with (working) moving sidewalks. I don't know if there's a shuttle to/from the terminals.

Great responses - and thanks again ijgordon for this response.

For us, hotel is in Piazza Navona area and checkin is limited to at least 1400 local time. Therefore, we would like to refresh and get on to some walking exploration.

Google Maps is great to see a ground level view of the covered walkway from Terminal 3 (B) to the Hilton Rome Airport for some advance perspective. Can't believe how much we can now just go online and get/see.

And I'm glad in the response above that someone informed me about getting a voucher/paper from FCO Continental conceirge before making the walk over. Now if I can only find the person I'm supposed to get it from.

Also, from the Hilton Rome flyertalk thread it says that shuttles are hit or miss between Airport terminal and Hilton lobby (based on current workload coming and going to the Hilton and transports from Hilton to Rome). So that's not a good plan to wait/plan a shuttle.

Seems Continental could work this system out a little smoother to make this less work on the BF passenger's part.

I'll report back if there are any snafu's in the whole exercise for us!

ijgordon Aug 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by hhmorgan (Post 14457003)
Seems Continental could work this system out a little smoother to make this less work on the BF passenger's part.

I've never had a smooth experience getting an arrival shower after a CO BF flight (except when it's an airport arrival lounge like AF in CDG where you just go and show your boarding pass). CO obviously has to pay money to these hotels for the room, so it's not really in their interest to make it so easy. I also imagine there isn't a ton of demand for it; all times when I've asked for it, I've been the only one on the flight. Usually running around the arrival airport looking for the BF concierge to get the voucher. It's really not a convenient system. That said, I don't know what other airline offers this service at such a wide range of destinations.