Wiki Posts
Search

Transit/Connection Time at Newark

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Silver, BA Gold, EK Silver, SPG/Marriot Gold, IHG Platinum
Transit/Connection Time at Newark

I am flying into Terminal B of the Newark Airport on Continental (international flight), connecting to a domestic flight to Las Vegas in Terminal C. I will arrive at 13:45, and the flight to Vegas is 15:55, so I have a little over 2 hours. Does this leave me enough time to go through immigration and security? I will only have a carry-on bag.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That should be OK. But sometimes immigration can be horrendous in Terminal B.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
B Or C

Originally Posted by Obokata
I am flying into Terminal B of the Newark Airport on Continental (international flight), connecting to a domestic flight to Las Vegas in Terminal C. I will arrive at 13:45, and the flight to Vegas is 15:55, so I have a little over 2 hours. Does this leave me enough time to go through immigration and security? I will only have a carry-on bag.
Are you sure it's coming into B as the majority of CO Int uses C

The arrivals area works fairly well but there is NO INTRANSIT area

You are dumped out into the general population to head back

through normal security entry which is never predictable
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Keep an eye on your arrival gate - as the others mentioned, the majority of CO international flights are gated at Terminal C, but there's a chance you could come into B. Regardless, you'll have to clear CBP & will get dumped back out into the non-sterile area, so either way you're looking at getting rescreened by TSA at Terminal C; if you arrive in Terminal B, you're looking at an additional 15 minutes to get from B to C on the AirTrain. But even still, 2 hours should be plenty of time to connect.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
As long as everything is on time, you should be OK.

I've come into B, and into C from various international flights, and never taken anywhere near 2 hours to get to my connecting flight out of C.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

Thanks for your information and help. Yes my itinerary on checkmytrip.com does say that the flight will arrive in Terminal B. If it goes to C, that's even better.

I heard that Newark is very disorganised, so I was worried. Are there priority/fast track lanes for BusinessFirst or First Class customers?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP

I heard that Newark is very disorganised, so I was worried. Are there priority/fast track lanes for BusinessFirst or First Class customers?
The disorganization depends on the time of day. Mid afternoon you should be ok. There is an elite screening line when you get to Terminal C, which I think you should have access to as a First Class customer.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nah....no worse than any other international gateway IMO.

There are priority lanes for re-clearing TSA but not for immigration & customs. And the priority lanes aren't always faster thanks to questionable enforcement of the access rules.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:59 am
Original Poster

All good to know, many thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Terminal B has a lot of construction going on, and the last time I did CBP there there was a line 400 people long crawling to go through. Not fun. C is generally better.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: CO Platinum Elite, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis President's
Originally Posted by 7Continents
Terminal B has a lot of construction going on, and the last time I did CBP there there was a line 400 people long crawling to go through. Not fun. C is generally better.
This depends completely on the day of the week and the time. I have seen CBP in both B and C packed to the gills and completely empty, depending on when my flight arrives.

But, regardless, if you only have carry on and don't have to wait to get your bags before exiting CBP, you should be fine to transfer.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Continental Plat; Star Alliance Gold
I think you have a chance if you are only carrying on your bags but it will be tight. Continental bag collection at Terminal B can be sl.........ow. It all depends on the flight and time. Simarlarly, immigration speeds and throughput depend on the day and time. For flights inbound from Asia, I always find Terminal B more crowded than Terminal C. Remember that once you exit immigration then you have to jump on the monorail to Terminal C and pass through one of the C1, C2 or C3 security checkpoints. Since you are not checking any bags then you might be able to get to your gate with a few minutes to spare. Good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks,

Will see what happens!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:01 am

I am arriving at Terminal C of the Newark Airport on Continental (international flight), connecting to a domestic flight to Honolulu in Terminal C (also Continental). I will arrive at 12:10, and the flight to Honolulu is 12:50, so I have 40 minutes in transit. Will this be enough?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
did you book these on the same reservation? doubtful, as I do not think CO would book you on an itin with a 40min connection between an int'l and domestic departure. You MAY make it, but only if you're doing this at an off-peak time. Either way, you should make friends with one of the guys in the red jacket @ EWR security line, tell him your issue, and have him help you cut the line. Not sure if this is a NO NO anymore, but when I have been in situations like this years back, a $20 will make the red coat your best friend ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.