FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   CO/Coach/Direct vs. USair/First/1 Stop (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1112766-co-coach-direct-vs-usair-first-1-stop.html)

kitakizmo Aug 4, 2010 8:54 am

CO/Coach/Direct vs. USair/First/1 Stop

Hi all..

EWR to RSW

Which would you do?

US Air with 1 stop adds a few hours in Charlotte NC. I am non-elite and am using miles. I am pretty picky about where I sit. And will change flights if I can't get at least an aisle. I haven't flown US Air in twenty years.

Thanks for the input.

JC1120 Aug 4, 2010 9:06 am

USAir F should be better than CO Y, if that's more important to you than schedule. Is there a mileage difference?

Truthfully, this is a question you'll need to answer based on your preferences.

PeasInAPod Aug 4, 2010 9:08 am

I fly because I want to get to where I'm going. I detest layovers. although, we do have a nice airport!

kitakizmo Aug 4, 2010 9:20 am

There is no mileage difference. I guess I was looking for a reason to avoid US Air.

Thanks!

EWR764 Aug 4, 2010 9:34 am

It's such a short flight, but I assume you have an EasyPass domestic Y reward (25k) and are seeing Saver availability in F on US (also 25k). Since I avoid EasyPass redemptions on principle, I would go US F for that reason alone. Plus, US F has pillows, where CO does not. CO has better food, entertainment, and generally nicer planes, though.

The free drinks are good, too.

kitakizmo Aug 4, 2010 9:54 am

The drinks of course! silly me. LOL

gawhite411 Aug 4, 2010 10:18 am

CO baggage travels better than US F. Don't do it.

jlemon Aug 4, 2010 10:28 am

I would go with F on US. It's not that bad and you should be more comfortable.

PSU Mudder Aug 4, 2010 10:29 am

What time of day are you departing EWR? A morning flight is a 2.5-3 hour trip. An evening flight may be a 5+ hour ordeal, which is a long time to sit on CO's Y seat.

If it's morning I might pick CO. From mid-afternoon to early evening I'd definitely pick US F.

ande777emt Aug 4, 2010 7:08 pm

UA F- just this once

If its going to cost you 25k miles for the saver award, I'd say for the same price do US F over CO coach is the better buy. The service is hit-or-miss on US. As it is through CLT, your FA's will probably be alot nicer than the PHL or DCA based FA's.

hangpilot Aug 4, 2010 11:17 pm

If you're not in a hurry, then I'd do US F.

As a non-elite you'd at least get priority boarding, and elite benefits with the F ticket, rather than being one of the last to board, fight for overhead bin space etc on CO.

If you're in a hurry though, time wins, go CO.

kitakizmo Aug 5, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks for all the input.
When I pay for a ticket I usually take the first flight out always. Less chance to get stuck on the runway. I have a real fear of this. The direct flights are after 9:00 am so its not desirable. If I have to get stuck I would like to be in F. I guess I will take nothing I can't bare to lose and take USair. (I remember calling it USscare back when I use to travel for work). I guess I am dating myself.

SS255 Aug 5, 2010 9:23 am

Do you have the option of flying US F nonstop out of PHL? It might be worth the drive to PHL to avoid making a connection in CLT.

colpuck Aug 5, 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411 (Post 14421391)
CO baggage travels better than US F. Don't do it.

This is not true.

gawhite411 Aug 5, 2010 10:06 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 14428009)
This is not true.

Friends don't let friends fly US.