Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Open Letter to CO & Chase from All NON-ELITE Presidential Plus Cardmembers

Open Letter to CO & Chase from All NON-ELITE Presidential Plus Cardmembers

Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:00 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Angry Open Letter to CO & Chase from All NON-ELITE Presidential Plus Cardmembers

25% Elite Mileage Bonus – If you have Elite status with Continental, use your Card to earn a 25% mileage bonus on all Continental-operated flights.
Elite Upgrades on Reward Tickets – Beginning in 2011, Cardmembers who are OnePass Plus Elite members and are traveling with OnePass Plus reward tickets will be eligible for complimentary First Class upgrades on flights operated by Continental Airlines and Continental Micronesia.
This sucks for non-elites. Why should I pay for these benefits when I'm not getting 'em? Like the PC members who get a discount on their annual fee, we non-elites deserve a lower fee or give us the miles and reward upgrade benefits. There's no reason non-elites can't get them. We're waiting, CO & Chase!

P.S. Scott, if you're back from Mars yet, what do you have to say about this? Well???
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:03 pm

Pity Party

Someone get this man a violin.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Sounds like you just need the one pass plus card afterall, it still gives you 10000 mile bonus on 25k spend and it gives you access to the LHRCollection(a surprise to me)
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
duplicate

Last edited by cova; Aug 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
One would have to question to value of a CO Chase Pres Plus card (for $395/year) if you are not flying enough to be Elite.

You would likely be better of with an American Express Plat card with more options.

Plus it doesn't cost that much to do mileage runs to earn Silver - if you want to continue with these benefits.

Last edited by cova; Aug 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Just make sure you charge enough through the card to get elite through the flex EQMs!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by airzim
Someone get this man a violin.
ROFL
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RNE
This sucks for non-elites. Why should I pay for these benefits when I'm not getting 'em? Like the PC members who get a discount on their annual fee, we non-elites deserve a lower fee or give us the miles and reward upgrade benefits. There's no reason non-elites can't get them. We're waiting, CO & Chase!

P.S. Scott, if you're back from Mars yet, what do you have to say about this? Well???
Sometime your arguments have some logic to them my dear RNE, but this ain't one of then.

The benefits for non-elites are already generous on this card:
-Elite Access ticketing, security, and boarding lines.
-2 free checked bags.

Elites already get these, are you suggesting that elites should also get a reduced fee on the card because they already have those benefits?

The card offers some benefits that appeal to elites (Bonus RDM, mileage ticket upgrades) and other benefits that appeal to non-elites (Elite Access, 2 free checked bags) as well as benefits that appeal to both (Pres Club access, FEQM's.)

Perhaps as an Avis Chairman and Hyatt Diamond member I should ask for a fee reduction as a I don't need Avis Pres. or Hyatt Platinum...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sometime your arguments have some logic to them my dear RNE, but this ain't one of then.

The benefits for non-elites are already generous on this card:
-Elite Access ticketing, security, and boarding lines.
-2 free checked bags.

Elites already get these, are you suggesting that elites should also get a reduced fee on the card because they already have those benefits?

The card offers some benefits that appeal to elites (Bonus RDM, mileage ticket upgrades) and other benefits that appeal to non-elites (Elite Access, 2 free checked bags) as well as benefits that appeal to both (Pres Club access, FEQM's.)

Perhaps as an Avis Chairman and Hyatt Diamond member I should ask for a fee reduction as a I don't need Avis Pres. or Hyatt Platinum...

Exactly. Not only that, but the Presidents Club membership is of greater value to a non-Elite, as the price goes down as the Elite tier rises.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Exactly. Not only that, but the Presidents Club membership is of greater value to a non-Elite, as the price goes down as the Elite tier rises.
Yes und no, the monetary value goes up for a non-elite but the value to the membership itself goes down, since if you fly so little to not even be silver, I can't see the club being worth close to $500.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by entropy
Yes und no, the monetary value goes up for a non-elite but the value to the membership itself goes down, since if you fly so little to not even be silver, I can't see the club being worth close to $500.

That's true. Though if you don't need or want the PC, this card is likely of questionable value begin with.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by entropy
if you fly so little to not even be silver, I can't see the club being worth close to $500.
Not always true... you can get security passes, and access to the club amenities even if you're not traveling. I often pickup customers from the airport and I'll go to the club and work for a few hours before they arrive instead of going to the office. And if one lives near Houston where hurricanes are always a concern, it's nearly a guarantee that you'll have a place to go for drinks/wi-fi/TV/snacks (LIQUOR!!)/showers if your place doesn't have power. I agree that one really needs to evaluate if the club fee being worth it, but to some it might be worth it.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not always true... you can get security passes, and access to the club amenities even if you're not traveling. I often pickup customers from the airport and I'll go to the club and work for a few hours before they arrive instead of going to the office. And if one lives near Houston where hurricanes are always a concern, it's nearly a guarantee that you'll have a place to go for drinks/wi-fi/TV/snacks (LIQUOR!!)/showers if your place doesn't have power. I agree that one really needs to evaluate if the club fee being worth it, but to some it might be worth it.
I can't imagine the club being open during a hurricane that has IAH closed...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Where did anyone say IAH(or any airport) was closed?

I have lived in South florida through a hurricane and without power an entire month after it was past. I packed up and headed to family after 3 days. An airport is priority to get power back and reopen, and such it would be a good place to go get a shower if needing one.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:19 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Steph3n

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Where did anyone say IAH(or any airport) was closed?

I have lived in South florida through a hurricane and without power an entire month after it was past. I packed up and headed to family after 3 days. An airport is priority to get power back and reopen, and such it would be a good place to go get a shower if needing one.
Exactly. After Ike, we were without power for nearly a week, but I know IAH had power within 48 hours (might have been sooner, but I don't know). And I had coworkers without power for 5 weeks, and the IAH PCs would have been amazing for them & their families.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.