Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA: pay $450 now and *all* your Y/F lower 48 flights for 3 months cost $129/$229+ o/w

UA: pay $450 now and *all* your Y/F lower 48 flights for 3 months cost $129/$229+ o/w

Old Jul 29, 10, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Lightbulb UA: pay $450 now and *all* your Y/F lower 48 flights for 3 months cost $129/$229+ o/w

(First off apologies for not being more descriptive in the thread title -- I only had so much space to work with and had to fiddle with the best way to express the concept.)

Anyways, UA recently launched a targeted promo allowing selected customers to pay a fee ($450) and then be able to purchase as many flights as needed for the next 3 months for $129+ each way in Y or $229+ in F.

You can earn miles, there's no advance purchase requirements (even for Y!) and it books into Q and A for coach and first respectively. The only catch I'm currently seeing is that you have to either leave or return to your "home" airport

So what does this have to do with CO?

Well, ignoring the merger for the time being and all the usual UA/CO issues that are currently floating around, I'd be curious to see if anyone here would bite at such an offer - and if so - what would be the threshold to make you do so?

For myself I'd personally like to see a higher upfront fee (~$750) for three months but a lower per ticket fee (~$50.)

...and lord knows I'd be on a plane *every* weekend!

More info on this thread. and here are the T&Cs
Originally Posted by UA T&Cs
1. Permitted Travel Area: Travel is permitted within the 48 continental United States excludes Alaska. Valid for U.S. point of sale. Travel is valid to and from Denver.
2. Discount Amount: The discount applies only to the base fare, and not to any taxes, fees or surcharges, including, but not limited to Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs), departure and arrival taxes and carrier-imposed surcharges. Total price shown on united.com is inclusive of excise taxes, fees and surcharges.
3. Eligibility Restrictions: This discount may only be applied to the purchase of new tickets and may not be applied to a previously issued ticket.
4. Valid Carrier: United® and United Express® It is not valid on any other flights operated by other airlines, such as United-marketed code-share and Star Alliance flights.
5. Ticketing Dates: Ninety (90) days from the purchase of your Denver Flight Pass subscription.
6. Travel Dates: Ninety (90) days from the purchase of your Denver Flight Pass subscription.
7. Blackout Dates: None.
8. Advance Purchase: None.
9. Min/Max Stay Requirements: None.
10. Valid Routing: Must be to or from Denver, CO.
11. Stopovers: Per rule of fare purchased.
12. Qualifying Fares: You may use this certificate to purchase QA0NSUB for United Economy travel or AA0NSUB for United First Class travel.
13. Restricted Fares: This discount may not be used on the following fares: published fares outside the above permitted fares, companion, travel industry G class, contract, bulk, convention, tour conductor, children, family plan, government, group, military, tour basing, senior discount, student, youth, infant, Around the World, Circle the Pacific, Visit USA, or any non published fares.
14. Additional Taxes and Fees: All taxes, fees and carrier imposed surcharges are additional.
15. Fare Rules: All rules of the fare purchased apply.
16. Combinability: Not combinable with any other discount offers
17. Maximum number of uses per certificate: Unlimited throughout the 90 day pass period.
18. Maximum number of passengers per itinerary: One (1)
19. Ticketing: Discount only applies when ticket is purchased within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. All dollar levels are stated in U.S. currency.
20. Residual Value of Certificate/Discount: When the discount certificate amount is greater than the cost of the ticket, the difference will be forfeited.
21. Mileage Plus® Accrual: Permitted
22. Upgrades: To determine if the fare purchased with this discount allows the use of an upgrade certificate, refer to the terms, conditions and booking class restrictions associated with the upgrade type you are using.
23. Changes: Rules of the fare determine if changes are permitted. If changes are allowed, there may be service charges and fees associated with a change. You will receive the value of the discounted ticket, less any of the aforementioned service charges and/or fees, towards the purchase of a new ticket.
24. Refunds: This discount is non-refundable. Once used, the discount will not be reissued for future use.
25. Denied Boarding Compensation: Permitted
26. Transfer of certificate: This certificate is not transferable.
27. Important Notes: Offer subject to availability and may not be available on all flights/dates.
28. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply
Old Jul 29, 10, 7:13 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Sounds like a takeoff on B6's AYCJ

Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
(First off apologies for not being more descriptive in the thread title -- I only had so much space to work with and had to fiddle with the best way to express the concept.)

Anyways, UA recently launched a targeted promo allowing selected customers to pay a fee ($450) and then be able to purchase as many flights as needed for the next 3 months for $129+ each way in Y or $229+ in F.

You can earn miles, there's no advance purchase requirements (even for Y!) and it books into Q and A for coach and first respectively. The only catch I'm currently seeing is that you have to either leave or return to your "home" airport

So what does this have to do with CO?

Well, ignoring the merger for the time being and all the usual UA/CO issues that are currently floating around, I'd be curious to see if anyone here would bite at such an offer - and if so - what would be the threshold to make you do so?

For myself I'd personally like to see a higher upfront fee (~$750) for three months but a lower per ticket fee (~$50.)

...and lord knows I'd be on a plane *every* weekend!

More info on this thread. and here are the T&Cs
Not a bad deal if you were going to do a lot of traveling in the 3 months.
Old Jul 29, 10, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Looks like it is targeted to folks in Denver. Most flights are nonstop from this more central hub airport. So the $129 is not that cheap - you can usually get that kind of rate.

From DC - I get $129 one way with two segments.

The F class $229 is probably a good deal if you travel on business at the last minute.
Old Jul 29, 10, 7:24 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Looks like it is targeted to folks in Denver. Most flights are nonstop from this more central hub airport.
DEN's currently the test market, as I understand it, but that's not to say it might be rolled out system wide...and as long as you can get UA to price something out, say with the odd ball connection, or two, or sixteen, I think it'll still go through.

Being based in IAH myself it's kinda the same situation, but if they were to offer the higher upfront charge for lower per flight costs, I'd bite.

Plus they can always tweak the product work for international flights as well and so on.
Old Jul 29, 10, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
If they offered it from an East or West coast city (IAD or SFO/LAX) I suspect the flight cost would be higher than $129 and $229. I am surprised they did not restrict this to one segment nonstops.

Denver works (like IAH might) because of the non-stops. This is really not mileage run fare. You would have to do lots of trips say from DEN-ORD (or IAD) to MIA and back.
Old Jul 29, 10, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO PLAT
work with and had to fiddle
I must have inadvertently stumbled onto the UA board.
Old Jul 29, 10, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For an "all you can fly" deal it really isn't that tremendous a value in that it is limited to flights to/from a single airport and only lower-48. I guess if you were flying a lot for business anyways there's a chance you could save some money but it doesn't seem like a tremendous MR deal from my initial glance. You're getting something like 5cpEQM at best in Y, and that's not accounting for the up-front $450.

Nice to see some creative thinking, but not sure I'd bite.
Old Jul 29, 10, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Looks like it is targeted to folks in Denver. Most flights are nonstop from this more central hub airport. So the $129 is not that cheap - you can usually get that kind of rate.

From DC - I get $129 one way with two segments.

The F class $229 is probably a good deal if you travel on business at the last minute.

If you're doing advance purchase and MR type fares, sure. But for closer-in, or smaller markets, this could have huge value. In some cases, it's even possible to make up the fee in one or two trips.
Old Jul 29, 10, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It's a good value if your upgrade percentage is not good and you'd like an F seat.

Assuming the A fare doesn't get the 50% bonus?
Old Jul 29, 10, 9:42 pm

Location: Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Gold, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Club, Admiral's Club, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
It's a good value if your upgrade percentage is not good and you'd like an F seat.

Assuming the A fare doesn't get the 50% bonus?
I have flown what I think was an A fare on United twice with a 50%EQM/EQP bonus but no extra RDM. When I say I "think" it was an A fare, I went to united.com and checked that I wanted to fly in first. It spit something out which the website said was an A fare, but my boarding pass said was a B-up. I did not follow up as I sat in first with no questions and got my 50% extra segment credit.
Old Jul 29, 10, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Since 95% of my travel is between two specific cities, I'd bite at this in a heartbeat if the F fare and upfront charge are reasonable.
Old Jul 30, 10, 6:29 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I'd take advantage of it in a heartbeat. It would be well worthwhile considering my biz travel. But, I doubt they'd do one systemwide, especially at a smaller market with good profits and limited competition
Old Jul 30, 10, 6:45 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mdaecher View Post
I'd take advantage of it in a heartbeat. It would be well worthwhile considering my biz travel. But, I doubt they'd do one systemwide, especially at a smaller market with good profits and limited competition
MDT has "good profits and limited competition"? Where do you fly frequently? I've flown MDT to the west coast as part of MRs and I regularly go IAH-EWR/CLE/ORD-MDT since I live in Houston but my family is in PA. I NEVER pay more than $300 (sometimes under $260) for a ticket on CO or UA.
Old Jul 30, 10, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...for $129+ each way in Y or $229+ in F...
The way I read it (from the posting of the email in your linked thread), there is no "+" involved...those are the fares to *any* lower-48 destination from DEN. Perhaps you mean the "+" as taxes/fees, but I read it as perhaps $229 FC DEN-OMA and more to, say, IAD.
Old Jul 30, 10, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
It would work for me.

I'd take the offer in a minute.

However, as mentioned, expect fares to be higher IF it were offered from SFO.

However, transcons continuously run $1700-$2000 for the front cabin so you could amortize the buy-in mucho rapido.

Search this Thread