Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental tests 'self-boarding' at Houston airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental tests 'self-boarding' at Houston airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:56 pm

Not even one joke thus far about this being the next step towards self-loading freight?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Not even one joke thus far about this being the next step towards self-loading freight?
Well, they could go Bridge of Death style:

Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Murphy's Law. I can see it being text book here!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Instead of groin punchers or electric shocks, what they could do instead is have a cattle chute type of system. They make clear announcements and have an electronic sign board for boarding. When you scan your BP, the chute opens in one of two ways: toward the jetway if it's your time to board, or the "reject" direction if you tried to board early. People that attempted to jump the line would be penalized and forced to wait until all other passengers were boarded, instead of just waiting for what was their original due turn. Once any possibility of benefit of boarding out of order was removed, and in fact a penalty established, the problem would go away in an instant.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
My experience on LH was quite different. I used it on my last FRA-JFK flight and had no problems at all. Certainly no scrum at the gates.
Agreed- I use this freuqently at both MUC and FRA- and have never had any problems. At HAM they have even installed a system like this for lounge access.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I used the one at E4 today. I cannot wait until these are installed on every gate.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:21 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Late in replying to the response to my posts but...

My experience with the LH self boarding gates is all LH domestic at FRA. The scrum developed before boarding recent flights to ATH and BCN. I generally don't take LH from FRA to the U.S. That said, the gate agents were awful, apathetic, and did not reinforce German stereotypes, but that's a different post.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: AC SE, AA Plat, ICS Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by CO DCA
Late in replying to the response to my posts but...

My experience with the LH self boarding gates is all LH domestic at FRA. The scrum developed before boarding recent flights to ATH and BCN. I generally don't take LH from FRA to the U.S. That said, the gate agents were awful, apathetic, and did not reinforce German stereotypes, but that's a different post.
Actually, I've found the LH gate agents to be much the opposite. Very stereo-typical German, in that the rules were the rules, and must be obeyed.

I have often found that they call passengers with infants and small children, and *normally* in North America they allow *G and FC/BC passengers to board at the same time. In Frankfurt they ONLY allowed passengers with infants and small children. *G and other status passengers had to wait.

I've used to self-boarding gates with Lufthansa several times, and have never had a problem with them (Frankfurt, Munich, and Dusseldorf etc). They've always worked fine for me. I much prefer them.

Patrick
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: CO Silver, Nat'l Exec
To heck with boarding, give me an electronic bouncer to replace the flimsy curtain at the front of the plane...that's where I'd like to see a few electric shocks and groin punches.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Patrick B
Actually, I've found the LH gate agents to be much the opposite. Very stereo-typical German, in that the rules were the rules, and must be obeyed.
"Schtep avay from ze boarding area until your group is called - ozhervise it is 30 days in ze cooler..."
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hydrox
To heck with boarding, give me an electronic bouncer to replace the flimsy curtain at the front of the plane...that's where I'd like to see a few electric shocks and groin punches.
Agreed. That curtain is not sufficient protection. It's a shame we can't have a locked door that only FAs can open.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
This has got to be the WORST WORST idea. I'm so tired of this do-it yourself attitude it seems a lot businesses are conforming to. You can't even check-in with a live person anymore at a lot of airports Continental serves, and now this? That's one of the reasons I jumped over to American by signing up for their elite challenge last week. Continental at LAX, for example, has one section of traditional ticket counter with an agent to check you in, but you have to be buying a ticket, a large group, or unaccompanied minor to check in there. I'm an elite member and my thought is I should be able to check in anywhere I please. But 9 times out of 10 they look at me like I fell off the stupid tree and redirect me to the kiosks. The few times I've flown American though, you seem to be given a choice between agent or kiosk. That's not the main reasons I left, but it was up there on my "top ten" list. I hope this experiment follows murphy's law and fails badly. I hate to think automation is taking over our lives.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:49 pm

Coming soon to a city near you -

The $20 "I need human intervention to be allowed to board the plane" fee
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
This might be easy for just about anyone to understand.

If something isn't right including trying to board ahead of your zone, a readout on the turnstile simply says "Please see agent".

Then one gate louse after another would have to go say thirty feet over to a counter.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AllanJ
This might be easy for just about anyone to understand.

If something isn't right including trying to board ahead of your zone, a readout on the turnstile simply says "Please see agent".

Then one gate louse after another would have to go say thirty feet over to a counter.
The impact of this approach on the boarding time would negate any benefits that the turnstiles offer in terms of efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.