CO FA: "New TSA directive - Lavatory use"

Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
This 757 is equipped with 4 lavatories they are located throughout the aircraft, the lavatory in the most forward part of the aircraft is exclusively reserved for BusinessElite/First Class customers only, etc etc etc.
This is B.S. Rules are rules and I'm ok with them, however, I truly dislike it when FA's make-up rules as they go.

Please post the link from Continental's web site that lists this as an EliteAccess benefit, because I can't find it.

If it is exclusively reserved for BusinessElite/First Class customers only then Continental, as well as other airlines, would state as such on their web site.

Perhaps CO Insider can shed some light?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
This is B.S. Rules are rules and I'm ok with them, however, I truly dislike it when FA's make-up rules as they go.

Please post the link from Continental's web site that lists this as an EliteAccess benefit, because I can't find it.

If it is exclusively reserved for BusinessElite/First Class customers only then Continental, as well as other airlines, would state as such on their web site.

Perhaps CO Insider can shed some light?
It is a direct quote from the inflight manual, from the after take off announcements section.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I dont mind them making the announcement. They should just begin it with "Once Upon a Time"
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by El Gringo
It is a direct quote from the inflight manual, from the after take off announcements section.
I don't care what the FA manual states. It is not an advertised EliteAccess benefit on CO's web site nor have I found an official CO policy on the matter.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't care what the FA manual states. It is not an advertised EliteAccess benefit on CO's web site.
It doesn't need to be an advertised benefit, nor does it have anything to do with Elite Access. Plenty of people sit in F without any interest in a FF account or could care less about blue carpets.

It's pretty standard across the industry - especially abroad - that lavs and inflight services are exclusive to the cabin you're seated in - whether it's First, Business or Premium Economy....customers from a lower cabin category cannot poach services/amenities from a higher one.

Not sure why this is difficult for people to accept. Go try the "I'm a human like everyone else and can eat and pee wherever I want" routine on the QM2 or a SQ flight and see how far you get.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
..cannot poach services/amenities from a higher one.
Again, the LAV is not a service/amenity exclusive to any fare class and there is no "official policy" on the books.

I want the airlines to formulate and announce an official policy on the matter and post it on their web site, and communicate it to all FA's so they are all "on the same page."

I don't care what policy they strum up, I only want consistency.

They have official policies for luggage fees, late fees, change fees, ticket fees, etc. This is no different.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Again, the LAV is not a service/amenity exclusive to any fare class and there is no "official policy" on the books..
It's not fare class - it's exclusive to a certain cabin. Again, this is pretty standard across the industry and a given on virtually every international flag carrier.

I think there is already a CO policy on the books - in the FA manual - the announcement is pretty clear that the F lav is reserved for the use of customers seated in F, and you should respect that arrangement.

I'm not quite sure why additional documentation is needed or why it should it appear on the website.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:12 pm

Again, the LAV is not a service/amenity exclusive to any fare class and there is no "official policy" on the books
Our inflight announcements contain language that the FC/BF lavs are for FC/BF customers only. This is policy. It is contained in our inflight manual and our inflight policy/procedures manual.

As far as TSA rules concerning lav usage, there is a rule in place for international flights entering the US.

We have a lot of policies in our manuals that aren't published on the Continental website or any other public forum. Just because you aren't privy to them, doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
The idea that the peasants behind the curtain might use my loo just sickens me. I applaud any effort from FAs to keep the self loading cargo where they belong. It's unfortunate that a solid door can't be inserted to separate the cabins. Nothing is worse than someone comes through those diaphonous blue curtains and lines up in the middle of the F aisle. It completely destroys the atmosphere of the F cabin.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:31 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by gawhite411
It completely destroys the atmosphere of the F cabin.
The atmosphere was destroyed when Continental began charging $3 for a Red Bull in "First" Class...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:15 pm

The barrier is supposed to keep the riff raff out of the fc cabins. If it was sturdier, maybe the fa's who dont snap them back wouldn't be inviting this kind of nonsense.

It all falls into the realm of toll lane/ exit ramp cutters, supermarket checkout cheaters etc.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by gawhite411
The idea that the peasants behind the curtain might use my loo just sickens me. I applaud any effort from FAs to keep the self loading cargo where they belong. It's unfortunate that a solid door can't be inserted to separate the cabins. Nothing is worse than someone comes through those diaphonous blue curtains and lines up in the middle of the F aisle. It completely destroys the atmosphere of the F cabin.
There are some legitimate reasons for a Y pax to come up to the F cabin. Recently my sister flew our very elderly (90) father for a week out here and she sat in the first few rows of Y while I upgraded him with miles. On a four hour flight she needed to go check on him now and then. The FAs scolded her at first but once she explained they completely understood the need.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive

Please post a link to the FAA/TSA/FAR that specifically prohibits someone from using the LAV in the section of the cabin that is different from their ticketed class of service. I won't hold my breath because none exists. Period.

Any FA or Pilot who announces that it is a FAA/TSA/FAR rule that Y PAX cannot use the F LAV, or tries to enforce as such, should not only be reported -- by name -- to the executive managemet of their airline, but also to the local media.
You are vastly oversimplifying the regulatory regime that governs commercial aviation.

In addition to complying with specific mandates from the agencies you mentioned (and others), airlines are frequently required to devise their own plans and procedures for a host of areas, and subject them to governmental oversight and compliance review from time to time. Security, maintenance, and aircraft operation are three obvious areas where every U.S. airline must develop and implement comprehensive plans and procedures to the satisfaction of governmental authorities. Put another way, in some areas, airlines are allowed to develop their own rules, and once approved or deemed satisfactory, those rules must be followed.

While there may or may not be a specific government rule requiring Economy pax to only use Economy lavs, the security plan(s) for the airline(s) making such announcements might call for this measure, and as such it is a "security" requirement that carries potential consequences for non-compliance.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ssullivan
That rule died a very long time ago.

There is still the occassional flight attendant who didn't get the memo on that one that makes such an announcement. I had one last month. But that rule has not existed for several years.
Correct. Here's the source.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.