Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates award

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Emirates award

New to Co got the 25+25 (business and perso) checking account, and while "studying" the program I noticed the alliance with Emirates and also quite decent award from middles east to Europe in F (80K mi). I immediatly tought this could be a good way to experience emirated 388 F for 80Kmi.

Any tought if this is doable? (no 388 F blocking like SQ? how is availability?)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by david-alexis
New to Co got the 25+25 (business and perso) checking account, and while "studying" the program I noticed the alliance with Emirates and also quite decent award from middles east to Europe in F (80K mi). I immediatly tought this could be a good way to experience emirated 388 F for 80Kmi.

Any tought if this is doable? (no 388 F blocking like SQ? how is availability?)
someone will want to chime in, but I beleive there are no F awards available on EK flights. The reward charts specify Star Alliance carriers with F cabins and make no mention of EK.
I have used my CO miles for a business class reward on EK, however I am not sure if they block A380 flights.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:59 am

You can't redeem Emirates First with Continental miles, only business and economy. If you want First, one option would be to book via United Mileage Plus if you have miles with them, but at rates much higher than the Star chart.

Last edited by Angeleno228; Jul 20, 2010 at 5:05 am
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by marshall200
someone will want to chime in, but I beleive there are no F awards available on EK flights. The reward charts specify Star Alliance carriers with F cabins and make no mention of EK.
I have used my CO miles for a business class reward on EK, however I am not sure if they block A380 flights.
Yes correct. No F awards allowed on EK. Only Star carriers.
HOwever, I have done C awards on EKA380. No blocking of awards on particular EK aircraft^...........
unlike SQ, which blocks most of its upperclass awards on "new" aircraft
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Not too bad, especially since those miles cost me 30 minute of my time...
Now would one also be able to upgrade y to c on EK?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by david-alexis
Not too bad, especially since those miles cost me 30 minute of my time...
Now would one also be able to upgrade y to c on EK?
No, you can't upgrade on EK using CO miles.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
You can't redeem Emirates First with Continental miles, only business and economy. If you want First, one option would be to book via United Mileage Plus if you have miles with them, but at rates much higher than the Star chart.
Angeleno228- I'm planning on flying my mom from India to the US in the next few months using CO miles, preferably on EK. Routing will be COK-DXB-IAH. Do i call a CO rep to book a reward ticket on Business on EK?

Other option is on CO, which would involve her flying COK-BOM, changing flights to CO which does BOM-EWR-IAH. She is getting pretty old and i would much rather her have minimum layovers/flight changes, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Jakeg
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Jakeg- just my thoughts on this. I'm guessing that for an older woman who I'm assuming is Indian would feel more comfortable doing a stop in her own country where basically everyone would speak her own language. Also on-board she'd have Hindi (or other Indian dialect) speaking staff all the way to EWR if she used CO. On EK there is a possibility that she may not have as easy of a time communicating once she' got to DBX. Also purchasing a cheap ticket for within India would allow you to maybe use miles to get her a better seat on CO?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by snod08
Yes correct. No F awards allowed on EK. Only Star carriers.
HOwever, I have done C awards on EKA380. No blocking of awards on particular EK aircraft^...........
unlike SQ, which blocks most of its upperclass awards on "new" aircraft
Careful though... C on certain EK aircraft is still old-style recliners.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jakeg104
Angeleno228- I'm planning on flying my mom from India to the US in the next few months using CO miles, preferably on EK. Routing will be COK-DXB-IAH. Do i call a CO rep to book a reward ticket on Business on EK?

Jakeg
Yes, you need to call for all EK award bookings. Mind you, Continental agents can't "see" the availability... they have to request and see if it comes back as confirmed or rejected. To be ahead of the game, sign up for expertflyer and look if there are any "D" class availability on each segment on the dates you want to travel... if there is availability, then it will likely come back as confirmed. Another way to find out is to look for saver award space on Emirates.com (you have to sign up for an account --free-- to lookup).

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
One other thing to note is that CO does not have real-time access to EK reward inventory and they generally need to put in a request for seats to EK before getting a confirmation. They say this takes 24 hours, but on two occasions last year, I made the call in the evening and they were confirmed later that night.

Also re: the A380 seat blocking, not sure if this is officially policy, but I did everything I could to get an A380 C seat to no avail, regardless of flexible travel dates, so they may very well be blocking them...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Sorry, Angeleno228, we must be on the same wavelength today...posted this 1 minute apart from each other!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:04 am

Just curious - is the availability the same as sky rewards availability? So if I find something on Sky rewards, can I assume i can ticket this via CO onepass?

And - does business class reward inventory come off the saver or easy buckets? (from Sky rewards)

Would appreciate the answer, if anyone knows.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Just curious - is the availability the same as sky rewards availability? So if I find something on Sky rewards, can I assume i can ticket this via CO onepass?

And - does business class reward inventory come off the saver or easy buckets? (from Sky rewards)

Would appreciate the answer, if anyone knows.
It is at or a subset of the Saver level Sky rewards. Definitely not the Easy level.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
I would much rather fly EK then CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.