Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Other Continental Connection Carriers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
The Other Continental Connection Carriers

Lately, there's been quite a bit of discussion on another thread concerning Continental Connection service operated by Colgan Air with the Dash 8-Q400 and the Saab 340.

However, any mention of the other three CO Connection carriers that operate turboprop equipment has been conspicuously absent. These airlines include CommutAir with the Dash 8-Q200, Gulfstream International with the Beechcraft 1900D and, way out there in the western Pacific in the Micronesia division, Cape Air with the ATR-42. Cape Air, of course, also operates the Cessna 402; however, I do not believe these piston aircraft operate "Continental Connection" service as none of the 402s are painted in the CO Connection livery, AFAIK, although they do operate CO codeshare flights.

So what say you, loyal (or not so loyal) CO customers? What has been your experience when flying on these "Connection" operators?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I took a VDB in CLE in 2008 that placed me on a Q200 from CLE-DAY. Other than inordinately narrow seats, I had no issues. I'm not one of these people who flips out over a non-jet equipment type.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jlemon
however, I do not believe these piston aircraft operate "Continental Connection" service as none of the 402s are painted in the CO Connection livery, AFAIK,
OT but apparently being painted as CO Connection livery is not a requirement. I've flown many Colgan "CO Connection" flights from IAH-AEX painted in Colgan livery.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by controller1
OT but apparently being painted as CO Connection livery is not a requirement. I've flown many Colgan "CO Connection" flights from IAH-AEX painted in Colgan livery.
Yep, I've seen that aircraft (and there may be more than one) sitting on the ramp at IAH. However, with the recent announcement from Pinnacle concerning the Colgan name being consigned at some point in the future to the ash heap of aviation history, maybe they'll actually paint it - or park the thing out in the desert.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 15, 2010 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i've only flown twice on commutair's Q200's. they were in CO livery. i will never fly them again. the staff was okay but man, those planes are loud.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I have flown the CommutAir Q200's on the EWR-AVP turn several times. They are loud and uncomfortable, but the flights themselves have been pretty reliable. No complaints, but no particular praise, either. I just like the convenience flying in and out of a small airport like AVP, so I will put up with these puddle jumpers.

The last time I flew from EWR-AVP a couple of weeks ago, the FA was in training. She made a few mistakes, but nobody noticed. (I was seated in 1D, so I saw and heard everything.)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
My impression is that many of the prop flights (at least out of CLE) are fairly business-oriented, so the pax for the most part know the drill. They also tend to be fairly short, the crews in good humor and so on.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by controller1
By the same token, I have flown on non-Continental branded Express Jet ERJ-145's, operating as CoEx.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had 2 flights that have had to make an emergency landing due to MX issues.
Once when I was a kid on a NWA DC-9 when an engine went out, and this past January on a CommutAir Q200 when there was a faulty fire alarm. I've always tried to avoid Colgan (even more so since the crash last year), hopefully once Pinnacle actually phases out the brand things will improve. I'm not holding my breath, so my flights into PWM will be on United. Oh well.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
By the same token, I have flown on non-Continental branded Express Jet ERJ-145's, operating as CoEx.
Out of curiosity, was the aircraft operated by ExpressJet or Chautauqua?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jlemon
Out of curiosity, was the aircraft operated by ExpressJet or Chautauqua?
Express Jet. The a/c had no markings so I believe it was in the process of being rebranded from ExpressJet to CoEx...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I've had 2 flights that have had to make an emergency landing due to MX issues.
Once when I was a kid on a NWA DC-9 when an engine went out, and this past January on a CommutAir Q200 when there was a faulty fire alarm. I've always tried to avoid Colgan (even more so since the crash last year), hopefully once Pinnacle actually phases out the brand things will improve. I'm not holding my breath, so my flights into PWM will be on United. Oh well.
I have never read so many fallacial statements and non-sequiturs in such a short amount of time, ever.

- HF
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:44 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
I've flown FNT-CLE a bunch of times and have nothing but praise for the CommutAir Q200 crews. The flight attendants, in particular, are always professional and in good spirits. They seem to blend those two qualities much like Southwest f/a's. And I appreciate how they try to do a regular drinks/pretzels service even on such a short flight. The Q200's are loud, for sure, but you only have to deal with the noise for a short time.

Also, OT, but every single time I've been on that flight it's been oversold with volunteer requests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.