Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Flight 1 (of just 2 today - SkyTeam USA is not MR friendly) started by spending more time in the penalty box than the estimated flight time.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:27 am

Gone.

Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Continental Airlines Announces Closure of Cleveland Hub in Response to LeBron James Announcement
More like NetJets.....funny though!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by sbm12

Not the best product out there but not the worst and they've turned their operations around for the most part. IRROPs are stills a big risk for them and they have their warts like everyone else, but I wouldn't (and don't) necessarily avoid them wholesale. When a $300 same-day turn can get you status for 18 months that's not so bad at all.

I'm still trying to figure out why they're doing it. Do airlines need elites? Is there some math out there that says elites pay more per future ticket or something like that to justify them giving it away so much?
Hell, I'm tempted.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:34 am

I think most Clevelander's are getting past his leaving and understand the bidness aspect of the game. But as many in the media are so well stating, the way he and his camp handled this entire circus is disgusting and, to many, a complete slap in the face. I refuse to believe that he only made his decision yesterday - this has been in the works since the Olympics. It has been a fun 7 years LeBron, but take your self-serving, non-tipping, egomaniacal a$$ to South Beach and have fun sharing the ball. Really.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:36 am

I'm still trying to figure out why they're doing it. Do airlines need elites? Is there some math out there that says elites pay more per future ticket or something like that to justify them giving it away so much?
I think getting new elites is somewhat like a drug dealer. Give them a taste and they will be hooked, or in this case will be more likely to choose US over another airline. Long term, perhaps not so much benefit.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MBM3
I think most Clevelander's are getting past his leaving and understand the bidness aspect of the game. But as many in the media are so well stating, the way he and his camp handled this entire circus is disgusting and, to many, a complete slap in the face. I refuse to believe that he only made his decision yesterday - this has been in the works since the Olympics. It has been a fun 7 years LeBron, but take your self-serving, non-tipping, egomaniacal a$$ to South Beach and have fun sharing the ball. Really.
You know... I'm not a basketball fan at all (it's one of those sports that could go away and I wouldn't be the least bit affected)... but I had one brush with LeBron a few years ago. I was on jury duty, and he was being sued for breach of contract. He was incredibly arrogant in the courtroom, and I would have kicked his a$$ out just for that. Luckily, I was not picked for the jury, but sitting there watching his behavior there made me not like him even then.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:46 am

On another CLE, hay fever is so bad this year that pharmacies are having stock issues for decongestants. My local CVS only had a couple boxes of generics in the pharmacy.

heat + humidity + hay fever =
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
On another CLE, hay fever is so bad this year that pharmacies are having stock issues for decongestants. My local CVS only had a couple boxes of generics in the pharmacy.

heat + humidity + hay fever =
Have you tried tequila?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE
Have you tried tequila?
Oh yes indeed. Last night at Johnny Mango in Ohio City.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Hell, I'm tempted.
Me, too. But I'm not going to do it because I've already got two other *A status qualifications. I don't need a third.
I think getting new elites is somewhat like a drug dealer. Give them a taste and they will be hooked, or in this case will be more likely to choose US over another airline. Long term, perhaps not so much benefit.
I'm talking about next year long term, not 2020. The promo is so complicated that folks likely aren't going to be gaming it too much. But someone who happens to have a trip to Plattsburgh or manages to get a few points in another itinerary they were doing anyways is now Silver. I'm not convinced that making silver - and not knowing that you were trying to get there - will really swing loyalty. Even if it does, let's say that the newly crowned silver flies all three of their vacations next year on US now. They are only going to do so if it is price-competitive and then they aren't going to pay for the checked bags or seat assignments. That's $150ish that US lost on them. I doubt that US is making the $150 back from selling those three trips.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.330 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Lebron and his circus remind me of Brett Favre and his retire not retire dance then go to another team only to retire and come back. I used to enjoy watching Knicks Heat back when they used to get ugly, I hope the brawls break out again this year, I'm sure someone will throw an elbow or two at LeBrett.
And Good morning box.teh
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Bom Diddly
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Me, too. But I'm not going to do it because I've already got two other *A status qualifications. I don't need a third.
Well, some of us are just more gifted than others.

In other news, I don't care a whole lot about basketball except when my sweet and lovely wife is shouting words that would make a sailor blush during the playoffs (or anytime the Suns are on). While James is an arrogant doucheteroid (made of intergalactic douche particles), so is Kobe Bryant. If anything, the East might just have a team that could give the Lakers a run for their money. As much respect as I have for Ray Allen and most people on the Boston team who are not Kevin Garnett, their internal issues that are not managed by Doc Rivers will keep them from it. The Heat will be interesting to watch, though I imagine it will take a season or two for them to start working together.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Oh yes indeed. Last night at Johnny Mango in Ohio City.
Oh yeah I need some Bankok BBQ chicken to ease the pain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.