Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental introduces Specialty Cocktails

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Yet this is only a problem for CO. Every other airline with specialty drinks can handle the acCOunting fine for this stuff, even comping snacks and drinks from Y when necessary.
Agred. This is one of the more ridiculous changes that CO has depolyed in quite some time.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Agred. This is one of the more ridiculous changes that CO has depolyed in quite some time.
+1
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
+1
Wait until more "casual" (i.e., non-FT-type) travelers encounter this new policy and start spreading rumors to their friends and colleagues that CO now charges for drinks in F.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wait until more "casual" (i.e., non-FT-type) travelers encounter this new policy and start spreading rumors to their friends and colleagues that CO now charges for drinks in F.

You don't think it's already happening? The no pillows in F is another joke, but that's a different thread...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It almost sounds as if it's an accounting issue between the front and back galley. CO tends to get hung up on operational things like this that their competitors have no problem handling. Either that, or they don't trust their FA's with documenting F comps.
Why would FA trust be an issue? They already have a mechanism for accounting for the complimentary wine, bear and hard liquor in F. Why should these drinks be different - I thought they are the same liquor minis coupled with a sugary-syrup for flavor. If they can track where the minis are going, I'd think tracking the syrup pouches should be academic.

So I don't think it's an operational issue - it's one of cheapness and they are testing the waters to see what other 'value-adds' can be 'sold' in F.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If they can track where the minis are going, I'd think tracking the syrup pouches should be academic.
Agreed. I've been comped drinks in Y and the FA usually pulls it from the F cart. Or when I've finished all the rum in F the FA will go to the back and "trade" other liquor back into that cart to keep the numbers even. They can absolutely do this without accounting issues if they choose to. CO is simply playing this one low class.

That said, operationally speaking they may only load one tray of the packs on the plane and that's in the back so there isn't a set in the front that isn't really audited for cash equivalence. Still, that is also a simple fix - put some packs up front - if CO wanted to solve the problem. They do not appear so inclined.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Yet this is only a problem for CO. Every other airline with specialty drinks can handle the acCOunting fine for this stuff, even comping snacks and drinks from Y when necessary.
Agree absolutely.

Although, when buy-on-board meals first started there were similar issues with DL and UA when passengers in the front cabin wanted something from the buy-on-board selection in the main cabin. I've witnessed it myself. But CO really needs to address this issue.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
As an experiment and also because I do like mojitos, I asked for one in first class on my IAH-ANC flight yesterday evening. I was told that they only have the mixer in economy, but the flight attendant offered to head back and get it for me. I was advised that the (Bacardi) rum was free, but the mixer itself was $3.

The mojito was just okay. Not bad, but nothing special either.

I continue to believe that it is preposterous for CO to charge for these drinks in first class. For that matter, $9 is awfully steep for this drink even in economy.

radonc1's post #83 above comports with my recollection of how the July edition of the in-flight magazine describes the new specialty cocktails.
You can use the beverage coupons for these. Also Chase customers get a discount too! Hate that they charge first customers and should really rethink this.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Good. let them. Then they can go rushing off to US Air or anywhere and drink their overpriced sugar loaded novelty drink (personally I'd sooner have an ice cream or a gine and tonic) and leave the F cabin freer for us to get upgraded!

Now boys - let's look at this trading issue. That is fine if you have something to trade. If CO are selling the mixer down the back and there is no mixer in the F bar then the crew cannot comp it. Liquor is easy as you just take it from the F bar and give it - or as used to happen at a certain airline that flew all over Europe - sell it and pocket the money. This is the main reason why BA give it all away throughout the aircraft. The amount that used to vanish was beyond belief.

Trust me - I did not fly with this airline then but I know of a friend who did a ARN-LHR and everyone on working that Trident walked off with £70 in their pocket or handbag. For reasons I won't go into security happened to examine the stock returns and asked if the F (as it was in those days) passengers could have possibly drunk all that amount. The Doc said that they would all be clinically dead if they had. Sorry about the annecdote but how can they swap these mixers if there is not free stock aboard.

Anyway - the money involved sounds ridiculous. As I say give me a good mixed drink any day.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now boys - let's look at this trading issue. That is fine if you have something to trade. If CO are selling the mixer down the back and there is no mixer in the F bar then the crew cannot comp it. Liquor is easy as you just take it from the F bar and give it
No other airline has this problem.

Others can even comp snacks, snackboxes, or sandwiches from the back which are not offered in front. They have the little machines, they just need to allow the FA's to do it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No other airline has this problem.

Others can even comp snacks, snackboxes, or sandwiches from the back which are not offered in front. They have the little machines, they just need to allow the FA's to do it.
If you comp, you lose the incentive to charge - and thus to 'upsell'. Although I could be way off base, I'm convinced the drinks are a test for future F upsells - the question is, what else will they upsell while on board? LiveTV? Wifi? (certainly Wifi, if they install it during my lifetime).

The first US domestic airline to charge for food in F? Or you need to "buy" your previously free F meal (soup/sandwich/entree), and if you don't, you're comp'd one BOB item from Y?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you comp, you lose the incentive to charge - and thus to 'upsell'. Although I could be way off base, I'm convinced the drinks are a test for future F upsells
I agree with you. CO is definitely testing the waters here.

What a marked change from a few years ago when the COmpany prided itself on its product.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:18 pm

I agree with you. CO is definitely testing the waters here.

What a marked change from a few years ago when the COmpany prided itself on its product.
Upsells in Y are fine (drinks, pillow kits, enhanced meals, entertainment, etc), but in F - they should be verboten! Taking your golden goose and making duck a la orange, might taste good for a brief moment - but then you've lost your supply of golden eggs.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upsells in Y are fine (drinks, pillow kits, enhanced meals, entertainment, etc), but in F - they should be verboten! Taking your golden goose and making duck a la orange, might taste good for a brief moment - but then you've lost your supply of golden eggs.

+1

Hopefully UA can put an end to this nonsense. And the people who thought of it, well, maybe they'll include some pomegranate martini mixers in their severance packages.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
+1

Hopefully UA can put an end to this nonsense. And the people who thought of it, well, maybe they'll include some pomegranate martini mixers in their severance packages.
Unfortunately, I think the CEO of the merged company is the driving force behind this unmitigated idiocy. Personally, I don't think CO should be able to label its forward cabin "first" class when there are ANY incidental charges like these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.