Continental introduces Specialty Cocktails

Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Looks like we've been "enhanced". Do you suppose next they'll tell us the price increase on liquor was the result of customer feedback?
But the price is the same if you are "chased". so they charge more if you're not... another way to tie you down.

"WE are glad we can *enhance* the value of the drink chits for our elites..."
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The unofficial self-appointed CO spin doctor is still in the house...
hey, to his credit he did announce the price increase!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The unofficial self-appointed CO spin doctor is still in the house...
Wow...even with the to indicate a joke I get no love. Rough crowd.

Originally Posted by cjgibson
I think it's only beer that's still $6. Looks like wine has also gone up to $7. See here.
Good call. I looked at the regular webpage, not the PDF and the wine bit was ambiguous. Looks like I guessed wrong.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sbm12

The joke would be funnier if it were less misleading...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:45 am

The joke would be funnier if it were less misleading...
Indeed, stating the facts as they exist is often considered misleading.

There was no "rah, rah" in the post, just the fact that the price changed and a joke about how CO can claim it is a give-back to elites. If you're reading more into it there isn't much I can do to help you there.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, stating the facts as they exist is often considered misleading.

There was no "rah, rah" in the post, just the fact that the price changed and a joke about how CO can claim it is a give-back to elites. If you're reading more into it there isn't much I can do to help you there.
The way you laid it out was unnecessary and misleading.

Why the huge gap?

With the good news right at the top?

And the the bad news buried at the bottom?

Why not just write, at the top: "Mixers will now cost $2 instead of $3 and liquor is going up to $7...[followed by whatever conclusion you want]"?

Just wondering...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why not just write, at the top: "Mixers will now cost $2 instead of $3 and liquor is going up to $7...[followed by whatever conclusion you want]"?

I'm surprised he didn't use CO's phrase of "not offered." CO's official position is that they're "not offered" in first class so as to dance around the fact that they're selling them.

So maybe it would have been clearer to say that they're no longer not offered for $3, rather they will begin not offering them for $2.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:05 am

Just wondering...
Because I thought mine was funnier.

Apparently you didn't and decided to focus once again on me rather than the change in policy. <shrug>
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Notice the layout of the above post?
Yes, I noticed. And I apparently interpreted it differently than you. I for one noticed the smilie.

but if you didn't bother to read beyond that huge gap, you would get the wrong impression...
Huge gap? My definition of "huge" is apparently quite different. And are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that Seth was trying to "hide" the ngative part of the pricing change?

I really wish you'd stop turning every thread in which you run into sbm12 into a discussion of sbm12's alleged biases. You seem to be a pretty smart person and I find a lot of your "normal" posts insightful, but I am getting tired of the bickering.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because I thought mine was funnier.

Apparently you didn't and decided to focus once again on me rather than the change in policy. <shrug>
Phew! That is a relief, since I was not trying to be funny, just accurate.

As far as funny goes, please feel free to pm me, I write comedy and would be happy to provide you a couple of friendly tips.

But I will say this, if you really want to be a CO spin doctor, you're going to have to be a lot more suave about it...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
I'm surprised he didn't use CO's phrase of "not offered." CO's official position is that they're "not offered" in first class so as to dance around the fact that they're selling them.

So maybe it would have been clearer to say that they're no longer not offered for $3, rather they will begin not offering them for $2.
I remember 3.5 years ago on a dinner flight from IAH-CDG in BF, CO ran out of white wine over Arkansas during the salad/appetizer courses! The FA got me a split of FishEye from Y for my dinner. I guess now they'd have to charge me for it. Fortunately my Chase CC would get me $2 off.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
No worries, I got it.

I did find it interesting, looking through the Continental magazine last night, that the price went up for liquor. It used to be $5, which was a pretty reasonable drink price in Houston. Then $6, well I'm not happy about it, but there are ways to get around that. Now $7, I think I'll pass. Having the Chase card made it a good deal then; now, it just seems like they're milking me even though it's back to the magical drink price of $5. Not surprised by the changes.

FWIW, I was on a UA flight to HNL back in October. $7 for liquor is what I paid. I guess UA "enhanced" CO. Now that I really think about it, it takes some of the bite out of the liquor.

Back to being OT, $2 or whatever, drinks and food in F should be FREE. I think most if not all would agree with that.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:29 pm

Geeez, 7 bucks?? I might have to bring a couple of 3.5 oz bottles of "water" in a clear zip loc. Let's see, I wonder if I can take a straight shot of vodka out of a water bottle at room temp and keep from making a face??

Just kidding CO, of course I would never circumvent the 7 dollar charge and break a rule by drinking my own liquor...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Ya, I was surprised too at the reaction. I figured that was the point of the smiley

Separately, the PDF link seems to be only domestic. Is liquor remaining $6 on international, or is that going up as well?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Thumbs down What's the real deal?

So I am a UA 1k and recently took 2 flights in CO F.

I really wanted to try the specialty beverages, but on both flights, when I requested them, they said they would have to charge me for them... And not just for the mixer, but the whole drink...

To make matters worse, both FAs made a big deal about the inconvenience of having to get the drink from the back, and encouraged me to choose something else. Sadly I relented and had a Corona (which were not at all cold upon serving).

Is this what CO service is like? (and am not suggesting UA service is any better!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.