Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-ANC questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

IAH-ANC questions

Hi all... I'm looking at some possible ways to rack up some miles and I have a few questions about the IAH-ANC route (and the return) for those of you who have some experience with it...

1) I know that the direct flight is operated by a 753. I've never been on this aircraft type. Is it reasonably comfortable for such a long flight?

2) Does anyone have any experience with upgrades? I'm a plat and was wondering what the chances look like.

3) What's the F meal service look like? Is it an average domestic meal or a more enhanced service?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:48 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
The 753 has the overhead LCDs every few rows, standard domestic F seats and no IFP (which is a big issue to me.) The plane itself is fine, but for the 7hr flight I'd make sure my laptop/iWhatever was fully charged before takeoff.

As for upgrades, they're tough on the route. Have you considered going via SEA or PDX and booking the separate flights, vis-a-vis the through ones? -- In other words booking IAH-SEA/PDX (1), SEA/PDX-ANC (2), ANC-PDX/SEA (3), PDX/SEA-IAH (4).

Also if you're looking to rack up the miles, there's currently a double mile promo for the PDX-ANC-PDX sector as well.

Finally the F meal on the non-stop ANC fight is pathetic. Seriously. Back when I was on it two years ago it was the standard mid-con meal + the cold plate an hour or so out of ANC. That meal should be transcon catered at the very least (3 entrees + app + salad + sunday + prelanding munchies) but whatever -- bottom line is the meal on 407 is not worth it IMHO.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
I flew this route three times in May but on a 752. Fewer seats in F, but superior in-flight experience.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I doesn't make sense that routes like this are getting catered less in F than some TATL BF flights that are shorter length. IAH-ANC can run longer than EWR-LHR yet gets thes same meal you would find on EWR-MIA (for example)
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses, and especially to J.Edward for the advice on the separate segments and double miles promo... I'll take a look and see if I can grab those...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Sadly, it does make sense.

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I doesn't make sense that routes like this are getting catered less in F than some TATL BF flights that are shorter length. IAH-ANC can run longer than EWR-LHR yet gets thes same meal you would find on EWR-MIA (for example)
The reason ANC is catered to the standard domestic mid-con level is, in my opinion, because the F cabin doesn't yield anything. The passengers on this route (myself being one of them, several times each year for the past 5 years) are almost never paid. They're slope workers year round, who make the ANC-IAH-somewhere trek every two weeks. In the summer time, the flight is full of cruise passengers from every retirement home in the lower 48- and at IAH, all of them are asking about free upgrades, while few of them are elite, and none of them are paying or buyups.

I find the meal on the nonstop to be just fine, though. Especially on the overnight return to IAH- a dinner service, then leave me alone, followed by the standard domestic omelet/ham/turkey patty platter.

As far as routing and such, OP, if I were you I would do one of two things.
The stop in Seattle is a pain in the rear. You don't have enough time to go into the terminal and explore or eat (which, if flying coach, you'll want to, as the sectors in and out of ANC are no-meal in Y).
So I would either one-stop it through PDX for the miles bonus (book legs separately to improve your shots at upgrades...which, BY THE WAY, look to be pretty good... I've got flights sched in August, and thus far, there are NO seats selected in F!!! This is much better than the typical 223/667 to Seattle routine!).
OR I would book the nonstop, merely as a convenience.

The 753 is fine on this route, and offers more F seating than the 752, so a better shot at upgrades.

As far as upgrades go, I've been upgraded more often on the 223/667 service than I have the nonstop. BUT, three weeks ago, I was upgraded on the nonstop to IAH, yet not on the return. So, of course, your mileage may vary.

The ANC-SEA legs are best for upgrades; in my experience, SEA-IAH is an elite-heavy route, and even as a gold, I rarely get the upgrade.

Hope all that helps- I just woke up, so my thoughts aren't very cohesive yet!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I did this for a MR late last year - phl-iah-sea-anc and back. Got upgraded (as gold) on all but the last iah-phl leg.

1st on the 753 is tolerable ... nothing like BF seating, but way better than the back of the 753.

Main point to note: when you book, make darn sure that you are not on the direct flight (iah-sea-anc) same flight number, less miles, complications with upgrades.

If you do want that flight, call within 24 hours and see if they'll split the legs. If not, consider rebooking onto a different iah-sea flight (and back).
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage
(which, if flying coach, you'll want to, as the sectors in and out of ANC are no-meal in Y
not that this matters for the OP, but this isn't true. i had a meal in Y on SEA-ANC late last year (if that's what you were talking about)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
I will also be on this flight later this summer once it goes back to a 757-200. Good to hear that F gets breakfast before landing in Houston.

Based on usual winds, does anyone have a recommendation for which side on landing in and taking off from ANC gives the best view? Thanks.

no1racer
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Different flight number...

Originally Posted by Pahdz
not that this matters for the OP, but this isn't true. i had a meal in Y on SEA-ANC late last year (if that's what you were talking about)
Not on 667, you didn't. It's peanuts/cokes only. 667 IAH-SEA is a favorite route for the turkey-grenade, and there are other flights SEA-ANC on Continental metal (the daily continuation of EWR-SEA comes to mind immediately, but peak season, there are even more). But 667 SEA-ANC is beverage only, and listed as 'none' at the pda site and co.com.

Last edited by Legend717; Jun 26, 2010 at 3:30 am
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:29 am

Hard to say...

Originally Posted by No1racer
I will also be on this flight later this summer once it goes back to a 757-200. Good to hear that F gets breakfast before landing in Houston.

Based on usual winds, does anyone have a recommendation for which side on landing in and taking off from ANC gives the best view? Thanks.

no1racer
It's hard to say. This past arrival, we flew a very odd approach, did a very nice sweeping turn, and landed on 32, which is typically used for takeoffs, nearly NEVER for landings.
14 (opposite of 32) is typically used for landings, along with 7L. 7R is closed this summer.
Flying this route often, I'm going to recommend the left side. Because, regardless of the views on final, you do get a very nice view of the mountains and glaciers for about the last hour of the flight, unless you're in cloud.
It's always a left-side window for me, unless I get the upgrade and can't pick!! But I don't complain then, because I've seen the scenery (oh Lord, have I seen...all...that...scenery), and I'd rather sit up front!!!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by alenguy
Hi all... I'm looking at some possible ways to rack up some miles and I have a few questions about the IAH-ANC route (and the return) for those of you who have some experience with it...

1) I know that the direct flight is operated by a 753. I've never been on this aircraft type. Is it reasonably comfortable for such a long flight?

2) Does anyone have any experience with upgrades? I'm a plat and was wondering what the chances look like.

3) What's the F meal service look like? Is it an average domestic meal or a more enhanced service?

Thanks for the help!
Used to do this all the time:

1) It's OK - standard F domestic seat.

2) Pray.......summertime can be busy.

3) Standard domestic F meal - if there is a meal service....
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by No1racer

no1racer
Going north: try for an F seat.

Going south: try for an A seat.

Then again, it's a bit of a crap shoot when landing & taking off at ANC........

Something to do with global warming, I think......
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I went up there on this route over Memorial Day weekend.

753 is not that nice, although I was up front.
Biggest disappointment was the lack of JD on the return to IAH.

Apparently everyone routinely drinks it up on the northbound flight,
and the stocks are not replenished in ANC.
FA's said this was standard situation, not a fluke.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Anyone flown this flight in F this summer? The F meal remains the typical mid-con meal ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.