Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any way of recouping something from a cancelled trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:44 am
Alt
Original Poster

Programs: BD (RIP); BA

When my LHR-PHX-SAT-LHR trip to visit my girlfriend was cancelled because of the volcanic ash cloud in April, it also caused the cancellation of her SAT-PHX-SAT which I had paid for and was mirroring my itinerary.
My pleading with CO to see if there was anyway for a full refund was predictably declined so I have a ticket which will most probably not be used before the expiration date.

Is there anyway I can recoup some of the remaining value ($150) of the ticket? Is there a way I can transfer it to my name or as I fear should I just forget about it?

Cheers
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by Alt
Is there anyway I can recoup some of the remaining value ($150) of the ticket? Is there a way I can transfer it to my name or as I fear should I just forget about it?

Cheers
Sorry, the ticket has to stay in her name. The change fee on your ticket is probably $150, so if the ticket was $150 then you're totally out of luck (and $150).

If the ticket was $300, then it's still worth using for the $150. Hopefully your girl can find somewhere to go within the next year!!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alt
When my LHR-PHX-SAT-LHR trip to visit my girlfriend was cancelled because of the volcanic ash cloud in April, it also caused the cancellation of her SAT-PHX-SAT which I had paid for and was mirroring my itinerary.
You and your GF had PHX-SAT segments on CO? That's interesting...
If the remaining value $150 is after the change fee, you can try change the original ticket to cheapest itinerary you can find (or something that can be used by your gf). Any residual value would be issued in a form of travel certificate which can be used by anyone on any Continental operated flights.

If your original ticket was $300 and if you can find $49 ticket...
$300 - $150 (change fee) - $49 = $101 (travel certificate)
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:16 pm
Alt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kair528
If the remaining value $150 is after the change fee, you can try change the original ticket to cheapest itinerary you can find (or something that can be used by your gf). Any residual value would be issued in a form of travel certificate which can be used by anyone on any Continental operated flights.

yes, the ticket total was just under $300. Thanks I like your suggestion ^ now to find the cheapest one way ticket.... anyone knows the cheapest CO route?

Cheers
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

This is not how CO works. CO takes new money for the change fee.

$300 ticket, find a $49 ticket, pay $150 on a credit card (change fee), issue the new ticket for $300 - $49, get $251 (travel certificate).
Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:42 am
Alt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa

$300 ticket, find a $49 ticket, pay $150 on a credit card (change fee), issue the new ticket for $300 - $49, get $251 (travel certificate).
This is still be worth it as I might be booking a trip for myself later this year. Can the travel certificate be definitely used by anyone?

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Alt
Can the travel certificate be definitely used by anyone?

Cheers
Generally yes. At the time of booking on co.com, use the travel cert code to get the value of the cert.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by channa

This must be the chance of my life time... I get to disagree with channa!
Actually about two month ago when I did this, the agent just took the change fee off of the original ticket value without any problem.
I was little surprised knowing their former procedure, but I didn't say anything, since I'd rather not put in any new money. Maybe the agent made a mistake, or CO updated their procedure. Either way it was possible and the travel certificate came out just fine.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Maybe the agent made a mistake, or CO updated their procedure. Either way it was possible and the travel certificate came out just fine.

If they updated their procedure, that would be great. It would make them more standardized within the industry, as well as align them with how UA does it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.