Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Back In The Day: Interesting Routes & Other Trivia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

As we approach the end of an era with regard to CO and the advent of the "new UA", I thought it would be interesting to share some stories from back in the day concerning "The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail".

I've been flying on CO for over 40 years now. I'm currently a Plat Elite with the airline with over 630,000 life time miles (not counting miles flown during the "Pre FFP Age"). CO has been my airline of choice for many years now.

Back in the mid 70's, CO had some interesting routes, one of which we informally referred to as the "Desert Milk Run". B727-200s would fly the following routing several times a day: IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-TUS or PHX-LAX and vice versa. One of these flights actually originated MIA and the late night flights stopped in both TUS and PHX. This was back when IAH was still new with only two runways and two terminals, one of which still survives: Terminal B. Westbound, I would board at AUS as I was an undergraduate at the time at the Univ. of Texas and my parents lived in SoCal. If you liked takeoffs and landings, this was the flight to be on. And at one point, CO flew this route with a Boeing 720B.

Another interesting routing at this time was CO 290/291: MAF-LBB-SPS-LAW-OKC-TUL and vice versa operated with a B727-200. This meant one could fly first class between Wichita Falls, TX and Lawton, OK for $26.00 one way. Block time SPS-LAW was 20 minutes. This information is taken from the 2/1/76 edition of the OAG.

And then there was the inflight service: I remember boarding a three class DC-10-30 in HNL for LAX in F (I think it was actually P). The flight had originated in SYD and CO continued the international service standard on the domestic leg to LAX. A steward, immaculately clad in a white tunic, asked me if I would prefer roast beef for dinner. I said yes. He then returned with a cart and hand carved the roast beef for me by my seat. The meal and the wine were both superb.

I hope you will share your stories concerning CO as well as a way of commemorating and honoring this fine airline.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I remember sometime back in the early to mid-80's, I flew a DC-10 from SFO-Denver Stapleton (what was that code?)-EWR on a plane that had one of the pubs. I remember the seat pitch in Y was really tight and I spent alot of time in the "pub". It was great. Somehow a small upright piano comes to find too, but is that even possible?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:43 pm

I recall the route DEN-COS-PUB-GCK-DDC-GBD-HUT. That would be in a DC-3. I'm not sure all the schedules hit all those stops, but I remember them all at one time or another. As non-revs the chances of getting bumped sooner or later seemed high, but I don't remember it happening often and anyway it seemed we knew somebody or another in all those towns. The crew always invited kids to the cockpit for awhile. We flew some of that route and also DEN-MCI in Convairs and ultimately the Vickers Viscount II. I remember connecting in MCI to a Capital Airlines Viscount to head to New York City.

I flew DEN-ORD in 1960 on the B707-120 and other trips after that.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I remember sometime back in the early to mid-80's, I flew a DC-10 from SFO-Denver Stapleton (what was that code?)-EWR on a plane that had one of the pubs. I remember the seat pitch in Y was really tight and I spent alot of time in the "pub". It was great. Somehow a small upright piano comes to find too, but is that even possible?
Well, it was DEN and still is. They kept the code when the new airport opened (which at the time was described as "the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska" due to its location out in the country east of the city. I also remember the DC-10 "pub" in coach. AA had a similar arrangement in the back of their 747-100s and I think this included a piano.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Not So Long Ago

The favorite I recall was the refurbed 74-200s

with 8 seats on the upper deck to SYD

Did several of those WOW

I've got nearly 50 years in & counting
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I recall the route DEN-COS-PUB-GCK-DDC-GBD-HUT. That would be in a DC-3. I'm not sure all the schedules hit all those stops, but I remember them all at one time or another. As non-revs the chances of getting bumped sooner or later seemed high, but I don't remember it happening often and anyway it seemed we knew somebody or another in all those towns. The crew always invited kids to the cockpit for awhile. We flew some of that route and also DEN-MCI in Convairs and ultimately the Vickers Viscount II. I remember connecting in MCI to a Capital Airlines Viscount to head to New York City.

I flew DEN-ORD in 1960 on the B707-120 and other trips after that.
I never saw one but knew that CO operated the Vickers Viscount turboprop (as did UA and even HA in the U.S. - and AC up north as well). Do you recall the primary routes the CO Viscounts operated on?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
The favorite I recall was the refurbed 74-200s

with 8 seats on the upper deck to SYD

Did several of those WOW

I've got nearly 50 years in & counting
Roger that, Mr. Chic! ^
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Maybe its just me, but personally, when they're rolling out the new livery, I'd like to see the first new plane repainted with the Varney insignia on the tail... Varney Air Lines and Varney Speed Lines reunited.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:20 pm

Flying Texas International DC9's on Peanut fares.....And then they bought CO and were no more except for Houston HQ and TexasAir ownership
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMan
Flying Texas International DC9's on Peanut fares.....And then they bought CO and were no more except for Houston HQ and TexasAir ownership
I remember when TTa (Trans Texas Airways, the predecessor of TI) offered a $25 weekend fare. You could fly as much as you wanted as long as you started your trip on Sat. and were on your return flight by 6:00pm Sun. When I was in high school in the Houston area, I did this twice, flying as much as I could around their system out of HOU (IAH wasn't in existence yet) mostly in DC-9s to such exotic locations as DAL, ABQ, ROW, SAT, CRP, HRL, SAF, MAF, LIT, BTR, MSY, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:26 pm

The Viscount was first used in 1958 on the LAX-DEN-MCI-ORD route prior to the first B707 in 1959. I believe the LAX-ORD non-stop would still be DC-7B.

In addition, and after 1959, the Viscounts covered the Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas routes. I remember being on them to Kansas City, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Lubbock, and El Paso. After the Southwest Service Case award in 1961 they would be on San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, to Los Angeles, although I am sure pure jet service appeared there as well, using the B720. I remember flying El Paso-San Antonio on the DC-7B on the CAL-AAL interchange before that, then on to MEX on AA. (Sorry, too much time required to look up all those airport baggage codes, so FT is going to have to do without -- anyone here actually figure out what all those Kansas cities were I posted earlier? -- most of them don't even have commercial air service now.)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
The Viscount was first used in 1958 on the LAX-DEN-MCI-ORD route prior to the first B707 in 1959. I believe the LAX-ORD non-stop would still be DC-7B.

In addition, and after 1959, the Viscounts covered the Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas routes. I remember being on them to Kansas City, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Lubbock, and El Paso. After the Southwest Service Case award in 1961 they would be on San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, to Los Angeles, although I am sure pure jet service appeared there as well, using the B720. I remember flying El Paso-San Antonio on the DC-7B on the CAL-AAL interchange before that, then on to MEX on AA. (Sorry, too much time required to look up all those airport baggage codes, so FT is going to have to do without -- anyone here actually figure out what all those Kansas cities were I posted earlier? -- most of them don't even have commercial air service now.)
Thanks! Very informative! ^
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:02 pm

You are welcome.

I should add, I looked up the last service on the Viscount was 1965 when replaced by DC-9's.

For short range service the Viscount II would be hands down my all time favorite airplane, even if slow by jet standards.

The last DC-3 left CAL in 1966 after service on the DEN-COS route.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.