Wiki Posts
Search

First Time on Continental

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
First Time on Continental

Hello all. As a US flier, I have never been on CO before, but Star Alliance is now changing that. I have some questions that I was hoping some of you could help me out with a trip next week:

I have a ticket booked through UA, with several CO codeshare flights.

Itin is as follows: RIC-EWR (CO)
EWR-DEN-RAP-DEN (UA)
DEN-EWR-RIC (CO)

1. According to the UA website, I have two confirmation numbers, one for each airline. Do I need to actually check in with both airlines of just the one handling the first leg? (In the past, my flights have either been all US or UA, no changing of airline mid-trip)

2. When I get to EWR, do I need to go through security again when changing terminals?

3. What is the best way to go about changing my seat assignment. I am taking the red-eye from DEN-EWR and am currently in the middle seat and would much rather prefer an aisle (#229, 6/9). Going to the website, I was able to see my seat, but only middles are available. There seems to be a dark blue section of seats that I can not pick which I assume is for elites. As a *G, am I eligible for that area at all? If so, what is the best number to contact to try and get them.

Thank you all for the help.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:04 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Welcome!!

Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
1. According to the UA website, I have two confirmation numbers, one for each airline. Do I need to actually check in with both airlines of just the one handling the first leg? (In the past, my flights have either been all US or UA, no changing of airline mid-trip)
Nope, just the carrier for the first flight of each direction.

2. When I get to EWR, do I need to go through security again when changing terminals?
Nope, again. A shuttle bus will take you between the terminals without leaving the secure area. Others might know the exact gate locations, but it's marked and I've had no issues finding it before.

3. What is the best way to go about changing my seat assignment. I am taking the red-eye from DEN-EWR and am currently in the middle seat and would much rather prefer an aisle (#229, 6/9). Going to the website, I was able to see my seat, but only middles are available. There seems to be a dark blue section of seats that I can not pick which I assume is for elites. As a *G, am I eligible for that area at all? If so, what is the best number to contact to try and get them.
As of right now, I *think* (but may be wrong) that the 'elite' seats are only for CO elites. I'd just call a general reservations # or try 1800-523-3273 (what I have saved in my phone for "continental customer service" but I don't know that I've ever tried it).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Nope, again. A shuttle bus will take you between the terminals without leaving the secure area. Others might know the exact gate locations, but it's marked and I've had no issues finding it before.
C71 or A28. If the flight from RIC is on an ERJ then you'll be in the A2 pier and need to get to the A1 pier. If it is a Q2/Q4 you'll be in the C terminal and need to get to the A1 pier.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
Thanks for the help! I was able to change my seat assignment by calling the 800 number that IAHtraveler supplied. They were very helpful once I mentioned I was *G (not so much before that...guess I should have opened with that fact).

It's good to know there is a shuttle bus so I don't have to leave the secure area. I knew there was the train, but that runs outside of security. I have only landed at EWR, never connected before. My flights to/from RIC are on an RJ145, and the DEN-EWR flight is on a 737.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:33 am

My flights to/from RIC are on an RJ145, and the DEN-EWR flight is on a 737.
On the outbound (CO ERJ -> UA) you'll need to go from the A2 pier to the A1 pier. There is a small chance that your inbound will arrive in A1 but it is slim. If that happens you're all set but otherwise head over to A28 and ask about going to the UA gates. They should get you on a bus pretty quickly.

On the return (CO 737 -> CO ERJ) you'll need to head to C71 and take the bus to the A2 pier (again, slim chance of A1) for your connection.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
At times, some express RJ flights still use the C terminal, especially C3. I was there Sunday and saw 2 RJ's operating out of C3. Must be a gate capacity issue at certain times of the day, not enough gate in A to handle all the flights.
I was taking the bus from the city, when we got to terminal A someone
asked is this Continental and the driver had old information about if your going to Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, or Dallas, this is your stop. He had old information. Even in those days if was not 100 per cent of the time those cities used terminal A. You always have to double check.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
At times, some express RJ flights still use the C terminal, especially C3. I was there Sunday and saw 2 RJ's operating out of C3. Must be a gate capacity issue at certain times of the day, not enough gate in A to handle all the flights.
Or international arrivals from the Canadian destinations that don't have pre-clearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.