Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct TV =IFE Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Direct TV =IFE Downgrade

I’ve finally have enough experience on these flights to have determined this upgrade was really a great marketing spin. There’s nothing upgraded about it.
Think about it, we used to get a nice full-feature film flying LAX-IAH, right?

No charge for a movie if you had your own headset. Now, you have to pay 6 bucks to see that same movie, except now after you’ve forked over those 6 bucks your movie gets interrupted by onboard announcements, long enough to miss important parts of the movie. How does this improve my entertainment experience? How is this an upgrade at all? But, congratulations to CO for putting a great spin on it.

Ditch the system entirely, or make one movie channel free as it was before, or allow CO currency to be used, or make it free for Plats. But, don’t tell me you’ve made something better when it’s not.

Didn’t Gordon say something like this once: Don’t piss on my boots and tell me it’s raining. I know, my Dad used to say that.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
If you previously wanted to watch TV and couldn't (and as a result were stuck watching some edited, usually awful movie that's been shown every flight that month) then it is an upgrade, right?
Old May 25, 2010, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I wasn't in the boardroom or anything ...but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that consideration of additional revenue $$$ was the primary driver of the move to Direct TV moreso than improved IFE being a great customer perk

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; May 25, 2010 at 5:32 am
Old May 25, 2010, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I disagree.

Yes, the pause issue during announcements is annoying but that is supposed to be fixed soon. And the overall increase in options available, not to mention the fact that each person gets to choose what they want rather than having only one choice available, is an improvement. It also costs money, but the entertainment option is better.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I personally really like directv, always free for me, and have many options.

I watched a spiketv ultimate warrior marathon the other day that was very entertaining for me, but not for my seatmate
Old May 25, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA and HH
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I disagree as well. I wish DirecTV was on more planes. Besides the 3 flights I've had this month with DirecTV, I've seen When in Rome about 4 times now.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: UA and HH
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I disagree as well. I wish DirecTV was on more planes. Besides the 3 flights I've had this month with DirecTV, I've seen When in Rome about 4 times now.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Add me to the list of those who disagree with you on this point. The new system is the best live television product in the sky, and the cost is nominal.

According to a source, more creative pricing schemes are on the way, such as a discounts for Chase cardholders and higher-revenue fares. The limitations are on LiveTV's end, as noted. CO has been pushing for greater functionality from the get-go.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I can take it or leave it. The interruptions from in-flight announcements are extremely annoying - especially when it's the canned marketing speech ("OnePass members will be earning valuable miles today, blah, blah, blah). Although, based on sbm12's post, it seems like a fix may be on the way. ^

Another issue is when the plane is out of range of the signal, e.g., on a flight to MEX, when service just ends.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by transportbiz
I’ve finally have enough experience on these flights to have determined this upgrade was really a great marketing spin. There’s nothing upgraded about it.
Think about it, we used to get a nice full-feature film flying LAX-IAH, right?

No charge for a movie if you had your own headset. Now, you have to pay 6 bucks to see that same movie, except now after you’ve forked over those 6 bucks...
Allow me to pile on
Do you remember the days when flying 6-8 times a month got you the same movie over and over again, along with the same shorts. Bleah!!
It is well worth $6 not to have to put up with that.
Of course, you can do what 60% of the cabin does and that is not pay for the service. You can supply your own entertainment for free.

My only complaint with the live TV service is that CO does not change the stored content very often which is bad for those of us using it on a regular basis. Perhaps they could expand the quantity of the stored content if they are not going to refresh it on a more timely basis, thereby allowing us greater variety during each programing cycle.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: Conti Plat/1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Me too. I think DirecTV is a big upgrade.

It makes a transcon go by much faster to me. I'd rather have many choices.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I flew IAH-RDU this past Friday on a 73G. The featured film was Tooth Fairy. On the way home I was ecstatic to learn that my 738 was a LiveTV plane and no one else on my flight would have to endure that garbage.

End. Of. Story.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I flew IAH-RDU this past Friday on a 73G. The featured film was Tooth Fairy. On the way home I was ecstatic to learn that my 738 was a LiveTV plane and no one else on my flight would have to endure that garbage.

End. Of. Story.
Interesting, in my case the featured film would have been Invictus, a film I really wanted to see, but it wasn't on the DTV system at all.

I should add that the 2 FA's sitting next to me (commuting to work) shared the same opinion, and they were the ones to bring it up. Seems they have to pay also. I don't think the system is horrible, but I do not like having something I was fine with being removed, to be replaced with something that costs more. That, and I am not such a fan of TV to begin with. The air is my TV and cell phone free zone, but times are changing. Personally, I'd prefer WiFi...and yes, I've actually paid for that.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
3 words to prove DTV is better than the flip down take it or leave it screens: Everybody. Hates. Chris.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by belynch
3 words to prove DTV is better than the flip down take it or leave it screens: Everybody. Hates. Chris.
I hate E.H.C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.