Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-YYZ flights

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy EWR-YYZ flights

Normally, I can usually rely on Continental for reasonable fares from EWR-YYZ for weekend trips (Friday evening and returning Monday morning). However, for the June 25 - 28 weekend, I'm having no such luck. The fare for a 1hr flight is almost $400! Anyone have any advice/suggestions ? I'm used to paying about $270 maximum for all other weekend excursions there.

I'm also open to going on Air Canada, but their fares are $400+!

Help!
Old May 18, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC, CO, *A
Its a good routing to use points on. Usually easy to find for 20k w/ Onepass and 15k w/ Aeroplan. Alternatively you can use LAN from JFK to YYZ which is consitently less than $300.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why not just fly Porter and save the cash for a mileage run elsewhere on CO?

Porter is considered one of the top airlines for quality in the world (given its size) and flies to the downtown Island Airport so you skip the entire hassle factor up at Pearson.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Their prices aren't much better either. Also I'm going to an area very close to YYZ, so while I could fly on Porter, I won't be visiting downtown much that weekend.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Porter is great, but their fares aren't necessarily cheap.

The LA option is good if the times work for you
Old May 18, 2010, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Any reasons why LAN is so cheap? Unfortunately their timings aren't the best, but somehow they always end up being the lowest price leader for that flight segment...
Old May 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Isn't there a CX flight that goes from JFK to YYZ? Is that airport a viable option?
Old May 18, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

No I don't see any CX flights.. and yes any NYC airport to YYZ is a legitimate option
Old May 18, 2010, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Isn't there a CX flight that goes from JFK to YYZ? Is that airport a viable option?
CX flies JFK-YVR, nowhere near YYZ I'm afraid.

To the OP:

NYC-YTO is a very tough market for finding cheapie seats due to the lack of discount competition. I'd suggest waiting a few more days if you can, bcause Porter often comes out with promotional code taking off 20% bookings made during the weekend, and Air Canada has been matching them as of late. Failing that, it's a great market in which to burn any airline discount certs/vouchers or to use the 20K Onepass redemption option (if you go the redemption route, I say spend the extra 5K and go with AC flights instead, they're much nicer than ERJs/Q400s).
Old May 18, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

HeathrowGuy,

Can you please describe in a little more detail how to go about using the 20K OnePass Redemption option? I have about 10.5k miles on CO (I used to live around DC, and I have a LOT more miles on UA), so I would need to purchase about 9.5K (basically 10k) miles...

Thanks,
Old May 18, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Every other weekend, Porter and AC has those 20% off YYZ-EWR discount code on their sites. Wait and see if you get one of those.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Any reasons why LAN is so cheap?
The LAN flight is a tag for SCL, so I'm guessing they're just trying to pick up some marginal local traffic.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
You could do JFK-BUF on B6 for $200.00 RT. Then you would have to rent a car and drive to YYZ so all the additional time and car invested cuts into the savings.
Another comparison, US PHL-YYZ RT $571.00
Old May 18, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by funeshah
Normally, I can usually rely on Continental for reasonable fares from EWR-YYZ for weekend trips (Friday evening and returning Monday morning). However, for the June 25 - 28 weekend, I'm having no such luck. The fare for a 1hr flight is almost $400! Anyone have any advice/suggestions ? I'm used to paying about $270 maximum for all other weekend excursions there.

I'm also open to going on Air Canada, but their fares are $400+!

Help!
I wouldn't even be going near YYZ that weekend because it's going to be insane with "security" and the idiocy of your TSA coupled with our CATSA plus the police presence everywhere.

Whenever I see a fare anomaly like this (although ErrorCanada gouges one and all whenever they can), I think: "What could be going on?"

Answer:

It is the G8 2010 Summit in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada, which is about 2 hours north of YYZ and the only major airport is YYZ for all the so-called dignitaries and their retinues of fart-catchers plus the media shills et al.

Rest assured that all land crossings will be equally stupid.

Go to Montreal or Halifax or St. John's and enjoy yourself - unless you're an anarchist and have 'plans' to disrupt the Summit....
Old May 18, 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
...I wouldn't even be going near YYZ that weekend because it's going to be insane with "security" and the idiocy of your TSA coupled with our CATSA plus the police presence everywhere.
Wow, Huntsville - I have fond (well, semi-fond) memories of summer camp there as a kid....Lake of Bays. What resort are the G8 a**clowns going to be occupying, Deerhurst? I hope they like blackfly bites, because that will be their most impacting souvenir from the trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.