Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Upgrade Changes – Eff. Jun. 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 11:14 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Lima Upgrade Changes – Eff. Jun. 1, 2010

Hi Everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up and some background behind a change we’ll be making to our upgrade policy for our flights between the U.S. and Lima, Peru (LIM). Specifically, Continental flights booked for travel on or after June 1, 2010 between the U.S. and LIM will no longer be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades, and service fees for OnePass upgrade rewards will correspond with our current policy for upgrading to BusinessFirst.

Here are some additional details:
  1. Why are we doing this? With this policy change, flights between the U.S. and LIM will match the OnePass upgrade policies and service fees as our longer flights, such as those between the U.S. and Europe, since they are comparable in both flight duration and onboard product. As you may know, this is something we continually look at. For example, last year, we amended our upgrade policy to allow complimentary upgrades between California and Hawaii because the duration, aircraft and service on these flights was more in line with our domestic product. In the case of LIM, the reverse is the case. Flights between the U.S. and LIM primarily offer a product that’s closer to our BusinessFirst offering, and the length of these flights is comparable to BusinessFirst flights we operate between the U.S. and Europe. For example, New York/Newark (EWR) - LIM is actually longer than New York/Newark - Paris (CDG).

2. Copa flights aren’t part of this change. Flights operated by Copa Airlines (CM) between Panama and LIM are not included in this policy change, and will continue to be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades.

3. Elite upgrades will continue to be honored through May 31. For those of you traveling between the U.S. and LIM between now and May 31, 2010, your Elite upgrades will be honored within our existing Elite upgrade policies and process.

4. Traveling Jun. 1 or after, but booked before May 10? We’ve got you covered. For those of you who have travel booked on or before today (May 10, 2010) between the U.S. and LIM, we will ensure your complimentary upgrade request is honored in accordance with the upgrade policies in effect when you booked your flight. In fact, we will be confirming your upgrade in advance for you and any travel companions in your reservation, regardless of your Elite level. As long as there’s a seat in the cabin, we’ll do it. This process should be complete in the coming week.

5. OnePass upgrade reward service fees will start in June. Service fees for OnePass upgrade rewards will take effect with redemptions Jun. 10, 2010 onward.
I think I’ve covered it, but if you have any questions, post them here.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Can't say I'm surprised.

Thanks for the heads up CO Insider.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Just kidding - the change is disappointing, but if the service levels are truly identical (i.e meal choices and inflight service will match) to other longer-range Int'l BF destinations, the change can't really be faulted.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:50 am

Is it really going to be BF service? With menus, meals, amenity kits, etc? If not, this sucks. If so, it is only mostly annoying.

Originally Posted by CO Insider
In fact, we will be confirming your upgrade in advance for you and any travel companions in your reservation, regardless of your Elite level. As long as there’s a seat in the cabin, we’ll do it. This process should be complete in the coming week.
This is a nice touch.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
In a nutshell, BusinessFirst upgrade rules without the BusinessFirst service.

From a catering standpoint, CO treats LIM like a transcon with a pre-arrival snack.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I give Continental credit that they will upgrade existing reservations. ^ (Maybe there will be a rush of reservations made to Lima today?)

When Delta made a similar change to LIM, existing reservations were hosed. Though I do believe the equipment changed from domestic FC to international C, so the cabin was upgraded in that case.

David
Old May 10, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think as long as they make it a boni-fide BF route with the meals/wine/amenities then its fine, and given the length and the fact that its been run with a 752, it was surprising to me that it was never considered "BF" before, I suppose until ~2 years ago, GRU/GIG were the only true BF destinations, now, more flights to Brazil and EZE, and presumably there will be additional flights with the merger... makes sense to have a more consistent policy.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
(Maybe there will be a rush of reservations made to Lima today?)
I considered it but CO Insider's post says "before May 10" so they're already on to us.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
In a nutshell, BusinessFirst upgrade rules without the BusinessFirst service.

From a catering standpoint, CO treats LIM like a transcon with a pre-arrival snack.
We understand that. I think what sbm12 was getting at was whether or not cabin service was going to be treated as a true BF market (wines, menus, etc.) with this change.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sbm12
I considered it but CO Insider's post says "before May 10" so they're already on to us.
It's a bit ambiguous, but you are likely correct.

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Traveling Jun. 1 or after, but booked before May 10? We’ve got you covered. [/b] For those of you who have travel booked on or before today (May 10, 2010) .
David
Old May 10, 2010, 12:49 pm

id bet its going to be BF lite, like IAH/EWR-HNL service with the fees being charged accordingly.

rif im not mistaken HNL upgrade fees (on BF routes) are a bit lower than other BF markets.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm reading it that flights booked today will be proactively upgraded.
Anyone booking to LIM?
Old May 10, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hartmann
We understand that. I think what sbm12 was getting at was whether or not cabin service was going to be treated as a true BF market (wines, menus, etc.) with this change.
I don't think CO Insider said anything that indicates the market will be returning to the BusinessFirst lineup. Again, BF upgrade rules without BF service. Definitely a benefit cut, but I don't fly the route often, so it doesn't really change anything for me.

At least sparkling wine is loaded...
Old May 10, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Nooooooooooooooooooooo
Old May 10, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I have flown IAH-LIM for the past 13 years at least 4 times a year (some years 20 times). I understand the reasons of the distance vs the service to be provided as a BF route but I am not sure if CO has considered the following reasons:
1) Most people that fly in South America are not CO Elites or any kind of * Star Elites. This is due to the short distances of the countries there and that most people (tourists) will come to the states once or twice a year only.
2) Offering a truly BF product will not attact more costumers as stated in 1) since most passengers are not business passengers.

As as result, i think we will see many flights to LIM going with an empty BF cabin. IMO this is just a way of CO to attempt to collect more revenue via the fees to be charged in this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.