Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Upgrade Changes – Eff. Jun. 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALGal727
As of a week or so ago IAHLIM is no longer considered a BF flight and is now eligible for Elite upgrades. EWRLIM is still BF and not eligible.
This appears correct, regarding IAH-LIM. I priced an itinerary on 3/1-3/9 (random dates) and it came to $824 + 40k miles, no co-pay.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is the IAH-LIM segment stil using 752s? With the BF seats, but just transcon service?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is the IAH-LIM segment stil using 752s? With the BF seats, but just transcon service?
It is today.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by CALGal727
As of a week or so ago IAHLIM is no longer considered a BF flight and is now eligible for Elite upgrades. EWRLIM is still BF and not eligible.
I don't think this is correct. It may no longer be considered BF, but if you try to book a ticket IAH-LIM in M or B (as a Plat Elite), it does not give you the option to upgrade as it once did.

It may no longer require a co-pay along with the 20k miles, but neither does EWR-LIM if you are Elite (it is waived).
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CVCONDE
I don't think this is correct. It may no longer be considered BF, but if you try to book a ticket IAH-LIM in M or B (as a Plat Elite), it does not give you the option to upgrade as it once did.

It may no longer require a co-pay along with the 20k miles, but neither does EWR-LIM if you are Elite (it is waived).
EWR-LIM absolutely requires a co-pay unless you are on a Y/B fare. It is treated as a BF market still.

My guess is that the website just isn't updated correctly.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This appears correct, regarding IAH-LIM. I priced an itinerary on 3/1-3/9 (random dates) and it came to $824 + 40k miles, no co-pay.
Still no Y/B/M upgrades yet!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:32 am

I have a EWR-LIM booked for December, out in S back in B. It allowed me to upgrade using 20k miles each way, no co-pay.

The interactive upgrade chart shows 20k per segment for US to N. South America (including Peru), with fees starting at H fares, but waived for Elite members.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by CVCONDE
I have a EWR-LIM booked for December, out in S back in B. It allowed me to upgrade using 20k miles each way, no co-pay.

The interactive upgrade chart shows 20k per segment for US to N. South America (including Peru), with fees starting at H fares, but waived for Elite members.
That's a bug. The EWR-LIM route is supposed to have co-pay as a BF-marketed route. Congrats on the freebie.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:11 am

[QUOTE=CVCONDE;14992012]I don't think this is correct. [QUOTE]

My OP was correct. Comp. Elite upgrades are now available for the IAHLIM flight. I made no mention of H/M/copays. Res. is not my area of expertise.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I flew IAH-LIM a couple weeks ago and received a complimentary upgrade. I think the entire BF cabin was full of upgrades actually. And it is flown by the 757-200 with the BF seats. The service I would not say is BF and is not on par with the flights to Europe on the same plane but I was very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded since this forum says that they did away with the upgrades to Lima. It even has an upgrade standby list on continental.com for the flights so maybe since its the low season or since they werent filling the BF cabin they decided to reinstate IAH-LIM upgrades??

And btw its only a 5.5-6 hr flight, much like a transcon on CO, nothing special with meals or anything, no idea why they would market this as BF, especially given the hours the flight operates.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
That's a bug. The EWR-LIM route is supposed to have co-pay as a BF-marketed route. Congrats on the freebie.
There does seem to be a bug of sorts. It's pricing EWR-LIM at a 40k miles r/t upgrade with no co-pay, but it's listing the class as () (blank) and the seat selector only shows economy and the abbreviated rules & restricted are those shown for a coach award ticket. I don't know what would happen if you actually went to ticket it.

IAH-LIM does seem to be showing the class correctly as "International Business (R)" and allowing seat selection in business.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:43 am

I upgraded the my EWR-LIM flight for 40k, with no problems. It rebooks the ticket into R class. The price screen shows the cost as 40k, and the co-pay as "Waived".
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:48 am

It will be "R" either way if upgraded; the fare bucket doesn't define if it is BF or not.

Seems like a lot of stuff messed up for LIM now with the changes of IAH back to a non-BF route.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This change to BF was doomed from the beginning for the IAH-LIM route. I'd be interested in knowing what the paid seating is from EWR as well, as I'd really be surprised if more than 75% are sold.

I've flown this route a couple of times, and even after upgrading elites there were still empty seats up front.

Are the redemption rates different now for FC seats via IAH?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi kuwaito, LIM has always been on the margin for us, and you're right, it's been a considered BusinessFirst market before. We had our reasons for removing that designation way back when, and now the market dynamics have changed once again. Suffice to say, we wouldn't be making this change if we didn't think there'd be a meaningful difference to our performance on these routes.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This change to BF was doomed from the beginning for the IAH-LIM route.
It's interesting (but not surprising) that there was a fair amount of armchair-CEOing in this thread disputing the rationale for changing the service classification on these routes. It's more interesting that nobody shot down the armchair CEOs under the typical guise of "we don't have access to the data like management does".

I'd be interested in knowing what the paid seating is from EWR as well, as I'd really be surprised if more than 75% are sold.
I think 75% paid BF loads would be a good number for them. Less than 60% would probably be bad.

If I were them, I would consider the interim step of keeping EUA off the route, but dropping the co-pays. I'd have to think there are enough elites that would redeem a mileage upgrade given the length of the route if they knew they couldn't get it for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.